What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Nancy Drew

And I thought Batwoman was bad.

Okay, on a mystery TV show the main character becomes involved in the investigation because they are a police officer or a private detective or related to one someone.  We meet the victim and the people who motive to kill them, then there is the murder.  The main character examines the crime scene for clues, talks to the suspects, finds the truth, and exposes the murder usually in the presences of all the other suspects.  

Instead we have Nancy as a waitress, and involved in the crime by being the main suspect because her Dad needed money because her Mom got sick.  Of course the fact that Nancy has all the physical strength of a stick figure never, there is no blood on her clothes, no weapon on her, doesn't keep Sheriff Barney Fife from wanting to throw her in a cell.  Her sleazy Lawyer Dad shows up played by Scott Wolf.  

Scott freaking Wolf.  Couldn't they have found someone more plausible as a father figure.  Was Elmo unavailable?

Then Nancy breaks in to the victims husbands house and steals a necklace somehow stupidly leaving her cap behind after activating the security system, and not even noticing she's no longer wearing her favorite sneaking around hat.   It's a wonder she didn't leave her shoes there.

Then after examining the necklace she just happened to find hidden in the first place she looked Nancy and her friends consulted a Medium.  A freaking Medium!  

So there is no resolution at the end of the episode and this dull boring crime will be painfully dragged out for the rest of this season.

Oh, at the end Nancy finds words related to the murder of a woman from the year 2000 where when she was about 5 saw her parents burying in the back yard, words written under the wall paper in the attic.  Two questions some to mind.  One, had Nancy never been in the attic before, and two, her parents decided to just paper over some words written on a wall linking them to a murder instead of painting.  

Sadly, this is not the worst show on the CW.  Or CBS.  Or NBC.  Or ABC.  Or Fox

hmm, recorded it to see if would like it, thanks for the review, will delete it and stop future episodes from recording.

in contrast, I thought Batwoman has potential and will continue giving it a chance, but then, I still like all the CW shows, though I agree there is a certain amount of stupid in them.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:01 AM, slikmar said:

hmm, recorded it to see if would like it, thanks for the review, will delete it and stop future episodes from recording.

in contrast, I thought Batwoman has potential and will continue giving it a chance, but then, I still like all the CW shows, though I agree there is a certain amount of stupid in them.

Batwoman has a chance to get better if she gets a decent team to create a new Bat Family.  Her sister Mary seems obvious but since Bat-Girl is unlikely she might have to go with the originals alternate name Flamebird.

The Crisis will help a lot.

5 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Batwoman has a chance to get better if she gets a decent team to create a new Bat Family.  Her sister Mary seems obvious but since Bat-Girl is unlikely she might have to go with the originals alternate name Flamebird.

The Crisis will help a lot.

You may be right, but I see Mary more as a Leslie Tompkins/ Doctor of Crime Alley kind of character.  Giving her sister a much needed ear on the street.

I think if they do Flamebird, we haven't really met her yet. I am betting on the girl from the preview she gives the bracelet too, so basically a Jason Todd origin, where she steals from Kate and Kate decides to take her under her wing.

I had to do a double take on the security/tech guy we saw, thinking is that Echo Kellum (Mister Terrific in Arrow). Now realize it is Camrus Johnson playing Luke Fox (also known as Batwing). Wonder if he will purely be the tech guy or will done the Batwing armor.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, Cassandra said:

Snipped (obviously)

Nancy Drew

Instead we have Nancy as a waitress, and involved in the crime by being the main suspect because her Dad needed money because her Mom got sick.  Of course the fact that Nancy has all the physical strength of a stick figure never, there is no blood on her clothes, no weapon on her, doesn't keep Sheriff Barney Fife from wanting to throw her in a cell.  Her sleazy Lawyer Dad shows up played by Scott Wolf.  

Scott freaking Wolf.  Couldn't they have found someone more plausible as a father figure.  Was Elmo unavailable?

That is because you are saying the name wrong.

You need to say it in the same way Lambsy said it 'It's the Wolf ! It's the Wolf !'

I recall the 70s adaptation which had Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew

Think of it like American Football without the padding and no forward passes just back passes.

I saw Scotland take on Japan and lose today. This was a match between 8th and 9th in the World so is probably the closest match at the moment.  The quarter finals are next on Saturday and Sunday

England play Australia. This will be nasty as neither side like the other and England have beaten Australia several times when it counted. In 1995 when they mocked the Queen and in 2003 when England won the World Cup.

New Zealand play Ireland. There was talk of the All Blacks being toppled. Then they turned up to play the tournament. I cannot see Ireland winning. New Zealand are the defending champions and the best rugby side in the world.

Wales play France.. This will be close. Both countries play each in the Six Nations (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy) every year.

South Africa play Japan. South Africa should win this but they have not been playing like they did in 2007 and 1995. Japan have beaten Scotland and Ireland. They are the home team. This will be a great game even more so if Japan qualify for the semi finals.

Because of the Typhoon, Canada vs Namibia, which was one of the last pool games, was cancelled. The Canadian players were out today helping to clear up damage from the typhoon so that people could watch the Japan vs  Scotland match in the fan zone. Makes you feel good

I've been recording the games and watching them. 

Saw the US v Tongo game and the Japan v Scotland game today. 

The US has apparently been getting better but still has a long way to go.  I'm guessing that making it into the World Cup is not one of their habits, but they did score 19 points this last game.

The Japan game was simply one of the best matches I've ever seen. Which isn't surprising I guess since this WC is the first Rugby I've ever seen. 

I really got into it. 

Surprising to me since I had complexity stopped watching sports for years until I got hooked on soccer with the MLS and the Sounders.  I'm even watching some college gridiron again, mostly Navy and Arkansas. 

But I am thinking I will look into Rugby.  Now to see how to watch the league.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Cassandra said:

Nancy Drew

And I thought Batwoman was bad.

Finally watched the show. 

Since I already have the program set to record I'll go ahead and try the next couple episodes.

But I am not very hopeful, the pilot really was meh.  Very very meh...

On 10/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, Cassandra said:

Batwoman has a chance to get better if she gets a decent team to create a new Bat Family. 

Batwoman was actually a lot better than expected. The trailers definitely did not help this program. 

So far the worst episodes of Arrow, Flash and the rest have been when they moved the focus away from "superhero action" and tried to go romance or various other "heart strings" BS.    Batwoman actually may avoid it all, they gave it the required nod and then closed that trail. 

Well done.

Now they have the chance to make this a great show and I really hope they do.  I never got into any of the Batwoman comics because of the style of art.  I don't remember exactly when it was that I tried, but what I remember was harsh sketchy with a lot of angled lines and bleed over panels.  I guess I can't really describe it well, but it made trying to read and match-up to what was happening far too difficult to be interesting. 

Never looked back.

But the new show has definite possibilities and I really hope it succeeds.   I need a new super'ish show since I've lost interest in the rest of the CW line.

Aquaman. It was okay. Not bad, not great. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was fun at times, but it was also quite cheesy, cartoony, and predictable. The vfx were decent (I particularly liked the Karathen), and the cinematography of the Sicily action sequence was superb, but the movie was a bit ruined for me by the plastic surgery horror show that was Nicole Kidman's face.

France 1939: One last Summer This is a wonderful documentary showing home movies of life in France in the Summer of 1939 as war loomed. Some of the movies are in colour and this makes it more alive and vibrant. The commentary is in French and features extracts from Simone de Beauvoir amongst others, It is really good.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets I liked it but it was not as involving as it should have been and the problem was the leads. The visuals are brilliant, however.

The Demon 1979. This is a South African slasher film. It has a faceless killer called The Demon who kidnaps and kills a young girl while putting a plastic bag over the head of her mother who survives. The killer goes on to kill a motorist who gives him a lift while then going on to stalk a kindergarten teacher. The parents of the girl bring in a psychic played by Cameron Mitchell who tries to get a read on the killer and warns the father not to go after the killer. Father avoids advice and goes to the city where he stumbles on the killer who kills him. When Cameron goes to see the mother, she shoots him in the head. The killer has attacked other women and then goes after the teacher. He murders her cousin and cousin's boyfriend and then tries to kill the teacher. She manages to get away putting the killer down by using a showerhead and a pair of scissors. It is not that good, best avoided.

The Terrornauts The tale of how an observatory is taken from earth to the asteroid belt to fight alien invaders. The effects are not that good. See once if at all.

Tomorrow When the War Began While some teenagers are spending a weekend away Asia invades Australia. The teenagers then fight back. This is pretty good and small scale.

The King's Choice The invasion of Norway by Germany in World War 2 on a day by day basis with emphasis on what the King and Parliament try to do and what the Germans try to do diplomatically. The German cruiser Blucher is shelled and sunk by a coastal battery which also uses torpedoes against it. This was important as personnel on board were supposed to secure the King and politicians. The Royal family end up splitting with the Crown Prince's wife going to Sweden with the kids while the King and Crown Prince go to England.

The Man in the Iron Mask Richard Chamberlain play the twin roles of Louis XIV and his brother. Patrick McGoohan plays the villain, the Finance minister Fouquet. This is not bad and is a TV movie filmed in France

4 episodes of World War 2: Battles for Europe. This starts with the Battle of the Scheldt where the allies try to free up the entrance way to Antwerp, then the Battle or the Seigfried Line which was mainly the battle for the Hurtgen forest, followed by the Battle of the Bulge and lastly the battle for the Rhine. I liked but then I like WW2 history.

Peyton Place This is the 1950s film of the book set in 1941. It is of its time and is not bad.

What is Cinema ? An exploration of what constitutes cinema. This is for film devotees rather than a general audience.

Operation Jericho This is about the raid on Amiens prison in 1944 by Mosquito fighter bombers and the controversy about why the raid took place. While a lot of the prisoners got killed, only a few escaped and stayed free with the rest being recaptured. Three of the crewmen were killed which was one of the planes being shot down. The pilot had been in the propaganda film Target for Tonight so he was a loss. However the French don't know who requested the raid although MI6 thanked the RAF for making the raid.

Mary Queen of Scots This is the 1971 film with Vanessa Redgrave as Mary and Glenda Jackson as Queen Elizabeth 1st. It also has Timothy Dalton as Mary's second husband who was killed in suspicious circumstances. Well worth a look.