What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Wicker Man-The original version with Christopher Lee, NOT the crappy Nick Cage remake. As usual, Christopher Lee brings a touch of class to just about any film he's in. On top of that, the film is genuinely creepy...you're not likely to have seen anything else like it. The twist ending is probably well known these days, but it still comes off very well. The DVD had a very interesting feature on the making of the movie and the story behind it being a "lost cult film".

Hollywood? You mean where "the black man" is still the sidekick or comic relief?

Hey, you forgot, drug dealer, gang member, pimp/prostitute and "Magical Negro."

Things have been getting gradually better over the years, but I am still waiting for a movie or show where the White character is the sidekick. I know that's a hopeless pipe dream, and I also know why it is, but I'm allowed to dream aren't I.

Hey, you forgot, drug dealer, gang member, pimp/prostitute and "Magical Negro."

Things have been getting gradually better over the years, but I am still waiting for a movie or show where the White character is the sidekick. I know that's a hopeless pipe dream, and I also know why it is, but I'm allowed to dream aren't I.

That move has been made. It's called Big Trouble in Little China.

Bran Nue Dae - the first light hearted Aussie movie I've seen in godknows how long. A really good feelgood movie and I highly recommend it. However - because it's converted from a stage musical it sometimes isn't sure if it is a musical or not, which I found a bit disjointing.

For some reason the lead character reminded me a lot of the son in Arrested Development, a combination of his looks and self-effacing manner, perhaps.

Anyhow, set in the 60's about a boy running away from a boarding school in order to get back home and be with his girl. It's a road trip movie set in Western Australia with some interesting characters :)

That move has been made. It's called Big Trouble in Little China.

I was referring to Black hero/White sidekick, but you have a point. That was an excellent movie. I remember seeing an interview with Kurt Russel where he said that Jack Burton was a sidekick who thought he was the hero.

Quick And The Undead - I got a thing for zombie flicks. Which leads me down ill-advised paths of movie watching time.

Like this. The main actor really really wanted to be Clint Eastwood in the early westerns. The director really really wanted The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly in scope and style. Only with zombies. Which was likely both the first mistake and a great idea at once. So, yeah... I'm still looking for a good Zombie Western. Or even a decent Zombie Western. Actually, at this point, I'd settle for Mediocre.

My wife just got the first season of America's Top Model via Netflix. help me

If it is any consolation the Australian series have been more successful at producing "top models". I started watching the Australian series from midway through season 2 but have missed the last one (and another is due soon) due to apathy.

This probably doesn't help you. Advice, watch it, you'll pick up some things about fashion and beauty. And the catiness between the "top models" can be fun too.

Quick And The Undead - I got a thing for zombie flicks. Which leads me down ill-advised paths of movie watching time.

Like this. The main actor really really wanted to be Clint Eastwood in the early westerns. The director really really wanted The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly in scope and style. Only with zombies. Which was likely both the first mistake and a great idea at once. So, yeah... I'm still looking for a good Zombie Western. Or even a decent Zombie Western. Actually, at this point, I'd settle for Mediocre.

Not zombies, but if you ever find this movie, it is a little known gem. It's called Ghost Town, and it is the best western horror flick I can ever remember seeing. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a copy in like ten years.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Town-VHS-Frank-Luz/dp/6301124480/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1264571599&sr=1-1

I've been spending the last two nights with the Bard, who can be great inspiration for gaming when you think of it, courtesy of Netflix.

Last night it was Julius Caesar. The production was the 1956 MGM film. It features three of the premiere actors of that age -- James Mason as Brutus, John Gielgud as Cassius and Marlon Brando as Antony. It's hard to overestimate what a young lion Brando was in that age. The director famously told him to "scare the pants off me" for the funeral oration, and that he did. Gielgud, by contrast, epitomized oily charm as the author of the most famous assassination plot in Western history. I highly recommend it.

Tonight it was the turn of Macbeth, in the form of a Trevor Nunn Royal Shakespeare Company production filmed by ITV in 1979. This featured another lion of his age, Ian McKellen, twenty years before Magneto and Gandalf. It was a very intense performance, as Macbeth literally disintegrates before the audience's eyes from a valiant soldier and charismatic leader to a mad shell, jumping at shadows. The second visit to the three witches was particularly intense. Judi Densch played Lady Macbeth and Roger Rees was a very interesting Malcom.

black mask city of masks

btw which genre would he fit dark champions cinimatic martial arts or wuxia?

From what I recall of Black Mask, the character is a high-powered Cinematic martial artist... which means he's more of a Dark Champions character. However, you can have modern day wuxia action. A Man Called Hero, Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, The Matrix, and Vampire Cop Ricky all take place in the (fairly) modern era, ranging from the 1930s to the present day.