What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop (all 26 sessions, haven't seen the movie yet) and my favorite bit was definitely in the last episode:

Spike: "So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?"

Faye: "Ordinary. The kind of dangerous, beautiful ordinary that you just can't leave alone."

Spike: "I see."

Faye: "Like an angel from the underworld...or maybe a devil from paradise."

I enjoyed the series, but where did that come from, and why wasn't there a hell of a lot more of it earlier on?

Archer, that new animated series on FX, is hilarious. It is like a bad James Bond flick on dope, with rampant sex references and over-the-top violence. Well, I guess sex references and violence are what James Bond movies are about, but you know what I'm trying to say. It's vodka-martini-through-your-nose funny. You can check out many of the episodes on Hulu if you don't have cable. Really nice looking Flash animation too.

Archer' date=' that new animated series on FX, is hilarious. It is like a bad James Bond flick on dope, with rampant sex references and over-the-top violence. Well, I guess sex references and violence are what James Bond movies are about, but you know what I'm trying to say. It's vodka-martini-through-your-nose funny. You can check out many of the episodes on Hulu if you don't have cable. Really nice looking Flash animation too.[/quote']

Archer is awesome and has some of the best lines. The interaction in the office is a lot of fun to for just how dysfunctional all of the employees are.

10PM on a Friday night in April? For a Bruckheimer production? CBS probably has a contractual obligation to big Jerry. The fact that they're throwing this in the backyard trash fire of TV shows that someone at CBS can tell good viewing from bad. That's a good sign.

And why do you say stalker-like and damaged like it's supposed to be a bad thing?

Meet The Hollowheads

If you like weird, you'll love this movie. Leave it to Beaver on acid, or maybe thosw "magic mushrooms". Watch it stoned and it might make sense. I was handicapped by sobriety, however, so although I was amused, I was also confused. I'll have to watch it again just to be sure I understood this movie. Baffling, but entertaining. I give it 2.5 slightly radioactive nuclear families out of five.

The First Travelling Saleslady

The premise of this movie is that Ginger Rogers' character makes and sells corsets. When her scheme to boost sales by featuring her products in a burlesque production, the League of Decency boycotts her products, forcing her into insolvency. In order to pay back her supplier of steel corset stays, she offers to go to Texas and sell barbed-wire fencing. Hilarity ensues.

This was the last movie released by RKO before it went under. It's main selling points were Ginger Rogers and Carol Channing in starring roles. Of interest were parts played by James Arness (of Gunsmoke fame) as the Texas Rancher who doesn't want the range fenced in, and Clint Eastwood, playing a lieutenant in Teddy Rooseveldt's Rough Riders.

Back from Clash of the Titans. In a nutshell, some great SPFX(Medusa being the standout, but the Kraken and Pegasus were also quite nice), but the acting was mediocre and the plot was awful. It also commited the sin of being less entertaining than the original film. I give it a C-. You want visuals, this film passes. Otherwise, this is a fail. The original Clash of the Titans is superior to this in nearly every way.

Freejack

I had only seen this flick once before, in the theater. I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the bank sign showing the current year as 2009. I had forgotten just how plausible a scenario corporate takeover of the government and economic domination by the Japanese seemed back then. Now it's just funny, since recent events have proven that large corporations are neither all-knowing nor all-wise as we had thought back then.

Virtuosity

I skipped this when it was in the theaters and subsequently ignored it thereafter until now. Turns out it's pretty entertaining, and Sid 6.7 would make an excellent villain or supervillain.

Get Smart

I've only seen this flick twice (both times on cable). I still like the way they handled Max's character -- not actually bumbling, but only seeming to, and having a great deal of knowledge and insight, characteristics not shared with his TV inspiration.

Three Wise Fools

Margaret O'Brien steals the show while veteran actors Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone, and Edward Arnold try to keep up.

Signs

M. Night Shaymalan again tries to pull off a "Sixth Sense". I had low expectations for this movie and my expectations were not only met, but greatly exceeded. Although I keppt rooting for this movie to turn into an action flick, it didn't. It really didn't need to as the human drama was pretty interesting. I'm probably damning this flick with faint praise, but what the hell, it
was
better than I expected.

Ugly Americans

It's hard to describe, but I'll try anyway. In this animated series, every fictional, fantastic, or mythological creature that was ever described really exists. Some of these have trouble restraining their natural (supernatural?) impulses. The main character, Mark Lilly, is employed by the Department of Integration, part of a (recently downsized to a) two-person team whose job it is to help these "Ugly-Americans" to adapt to life in civilization. His partner is a wizard/alcoholic who hasn't had a day of actual productivity in three years. His room-mate is a zombie who became one when his prospective girlfriend brushed him off by saying "I'm only into zombies" (when he shows up newly zombie-fied at her apartment later, she tells him "I'm into warlocks now"). Lilly's sometime girlfriend is his boss in the department, a half-human succubis who is attracted to Mark's gentleness, even though she claims to despise him for it. Mark fears one day she might kill him.

What's not to like? Link to Promotional Trailer

Last night I watched:

Xchange

A mind-and-body-swapping sci-fi flick wherein some guy is "sent" from New York to some business thingie on the west coast by leaving his body at home and exchanging minds with somebody else, who now occupies the New York body. When it's time to return, he's told that the owner of his borrowed body had been "bodyjacked" by a terrorist, who now occupies his original body. in his subsequent panic, he winds up in the body of a "clone" (actually, a manufactured human who, like the other clones, looks just like Stephen Baldwin. Finally, the movie stopped being boring.

Verdict: It's schlock, but it's good schlock. 2 brainless-swaps out of a possible five.

Aftermath

What would happen if the Earth's rotation slowed, then stopped? This show answers that question, and provides so many different ideas that could be adapted to a superheroic, science-fiction, pulp or fantasy setting. Did I leave any out? well, then etcetera! that should cover it!

Verdict: I was in Nerdvana the whole time. 5 mass extinctions out of 5.

Dresden Files - I liked it for the most part, but I can see why it was canceled (aside from the syfi channel being morons, actually it has everything to do with them being morons, but mostly the morons they hired as writers).

Dialogue was silly to the point of bad throughout most of it. The plots were cool, and I get they wanted the "sucker for a dame" schtick going, but the constant girl-of-the-moment came off as badly forced instead of him being unable to retain a relationship. They didn't get into serious character development (especially between Dresden and the Lt) until the last 3 or 4 episodes in the season. Maybe the show hadn't found its direction yet, dunno. Perhaps if they hung on for a second season it might have gained some kind of coherent plot instead of a magical rendition of a bad 80s PI show.