What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I've been watching some Japanese dramas, without English subtitles, as part of teaching myself Japanese. Unfortunately, I can't currently understand much - it's more about tuning my ear to the language at this point.

One I'm enjoying is Jin, which is a bit like Life on Mars, if the lead character were a brain surgeon instead of a cop, and he ends up in feudal Japan instead of 70's Britain.

Sherlock Holmes. I liked the take' date=' and the banter between Jude Law and Robert Downy Jr. was great. I also like how they illustrate Holme's thought processes, with him running through events before he does them. Perfect example of what someone with 25+ INT and +4 PER would be like.[/quote']

i bought the PPVof it but the broadcast was malfuntioing it didn't unsramble completely

Godzilla: Final Wars

This finishes my tour of watching all the Godzilla movies Netflix has in order of release. While I had some thematic problems with the movie, it does make a nice capstone to the tour; Godzilla puts the atomic smackdown on pretty much every monster he fought in the past ~50 years.

This finishes my tour of watching all the Godzilla movies Netflix has in order of release. While I had some thematic problems with the movie, it does make a nice capstone to the tour; Godzilla puts the atomic smackdown on pretty much every monster he fought in the past ~50 years.

I liked the little shout-outs to Toho's non-kaiju tokusatsu films like Atragon and Gorath.

And myself, I've just watched Nightmare Before Christmas yet again. Such a great movie, yet I understand that some people are starting to hate it because it's gotten so popular. :rolleyes: Don't change, fandom.

I liked the little shout-outs to Toho's non-kaiju tokusatsu films like Atragon and Gorath.

I loved the little thematic nods to Tsuburaya's other work, especially Ultra Q / Ultraman and his Human Mutants stuff. Earth Final Wars would make a great campaign setting.

Ugh....this movie is awful. By far one of the worst Godzilla films made. The fact that this has the biggest budget of any Godzilla movie ever(not that you could tell) is all the more insulting when you see the resulting crapfest.

Ugh....this movie is awful. By far one of the worst Godzilla films made. The fact that this has the biggest budget of any Godzilla movie ever(not that you could tell) is all the more insulting when you see the resulting crapfest.

Obviously, YMMV. I loved it.

Guest steamteck

Actually I kind of enjoyed and I dislike traditional Godzilla movies generally.

I loved the little thematic nods to Tsuburaya's other work' date=' especially Ultra Q / Ultraman and his Human Mutants stuff. Earth Final Wars would make a great campaign setting.[/quote']

As someone who only watches their Godzilla movies, I missed the references. I was not a fan of the human mutant aspect of the movie. Unless you are in some sort of giant robot thing, you should not be fighting giant monsters. The whole "M-base" thing struck me as wrong. I can deal with humans forming a defense force and making ships to fight off the monsters, but the mutant/chosen one subplot was unnecessary and detracted from the movie IMHO.

As someone who only watches their Godzilla movies' date=' I missed the references. I was not a fan of the human mutant aspect of the movie. Unless you are in some sort of giant robot thing, you should not be fighting giant monsters. The whole "M-base" thing struck me as wrong. I can deal with humans forming a defense force and making ships to fight off the monsters, but the mutant/chosen one subplot was unnecessary and detracted from the movie IMHO.[/quote']

Tsuburaya, the man behind Godzilla and Ultraman, also had a TV series pre-Ultraman that was pretty much the Science Patrol vs Ghosts, Monsters (not giant, iirc), Human Mutants & Aliens. He also did a series of sci-fi horror films with human mutants. A lot of that mythology ended up working its way into the Zillaverse, and for a fan of that stuff Final Wars had some extra geek cred. The Human with mutant/supernatural powers lending his or her power to the "Good" giant monster is a classic bit from Tokusatsu films & TV. If that's not your flavor of Japanese sci fi, no worries. :)

Inception.

Despite what several reviewers have said, I thought the storyline was easy enough to follow. As usual when movie-watching, I just settled back and let it happen. Had no problems at all. Overall, definitely OK - not a great life-changer or anything, but worth the time and money.

I'm continuing to soak in The World at War. The last episode I've watched detailed the story of occupied Holland. Once again I am reminded of how truly, elementally evil the Nazis were. I found it ironic that they were able to get many interviews from holocaust survivors and resistance fighters but also were able to obtain interviews with men like Albert Speer, who was sentenced to twenty years in prison at the first Nuremberg war crimes trial. Speer's interviews are chilling -- he seemed to be putting on an "I was fooled like everyone else" act without showing any remorse about being a principal actor in the regime. Most notably he does not make any comment on the forced labor programs he personally organized, in which able-bodies men from all over Europe were taken to Germany and put to work in Speer's armaments factories against their will under hideously brutal conditions.

Speer had already played this game in his best-selling memoir Inside the Third Reich.

Smart fellow, Speer. Sociopathic, but smart.

I have to admit I loved that series as kid. I used to watch it with my Dad, who liked reminding me he played a bit part in the original film :) It was one of the very few things I made sure I didn't miss on TV (We didn't have video recorders back then, young 'un!)

Anyway, if you are interested in the period (and in the people) I recommend back to back watching of the documentary "Hitler's secretary" which is an interview with ... well, Hitler's secretary ... and the film "Der Untergang" - a fictionalization of the last days in the Fuhrerbunker. Many of the people who appear in the newsreels of The World at War are either discussed or portrayed in the two I have mentioned.

It blew my mind how many of the people - like Speer - at the centre of those events actually survived, and then went on to lead ordinary lives. Hitler's personal secretary, for a start. His personal bodyguard - the man who burnt his and Eva Braun's bodies - for another.

cheers, Mark

Guest steamteck

Inception.

Despite what several reviewers have said, I thought the storyline was easy enough to follow. As usual when movie-watching, I just settled back and let it happen. Had no problems at all. Overall, definitely OK - not a great life-changer or anything, but worth the time and money.

I expected, given Nolan's track record with me, to either hate and consider really poorly done or really love it. I did neither. It was Ok and not nearly as groundbreaking as I was given the impression it would be. It did have a great zero g fight scene though. I didn't have any trouble follwing it either and even saw the final twist coming.

Went and saw Resident Evil AfterLife today.

Weakest member of the series, so far IMHO.

Sad, too, because most of the individual elements of this move were good. The cast was good, the action sequences well choreographed, the visuals were great, the cinematography up to the series par... but.... but... it just didn't make any frickin' sense.

Oh mighty giant mutant zombie, Leader of the Los Anglers Zombie horde... You made you your ginormous axe-hammer? I've heard Sauron's armorers turn that sorta stuff out for the Olog-Hai, but they're in friggin Middle Earth!

and The Umbrella Corporation no longer even pretends to have motives that make sense

But at least we're finally (supposedly) rid of Wesker. That Marty Sue's needed a lot of killing for a long time now

The Event & Not Your Ordinary Family.

Liking both shows, though I have to turn off crotchety mode a lot. For instance, in the pilot of NYOF, the woman running along the freeway and breaking that side mirror made me sigh. No, not from any scientific physics vantage. From the fact that if I placed myself in the driver's place, that would be a major expense. One that might set me back a month or two of disposable income. Even with insurance, there is a deductible to be paid. It really annoyed me that it was a throwaway moment in the show to demonstrate how fast/cool the mom is now. And that thought process, reminds me of just how not fun I am becoming.

The Event is turning out to be more fun. I find the likelihood of a human like, but superior to human, alien species just so tiresome. Yet the story and pacing is quite engaging. Starting to show influence from Lost, X-Files, and probably a few other shows. There is a bit of crime drama feel going on which is good too. The big shocker in the recent episode wasn't. I knew the creative staff would be too gutless for that. Still an enjoyable show.

What I would like, is a show like The Event told from the perspective of humanity being the dominant species and having to make decisions about how to interact with a less technologically advanced species. SICK of the aliens are superior meme in entertainment media these days. Done to death and the only thing different is the faces involved. Or perhaps the locker combination. Not sure which.

I suppose I am being critical today.

The Two Towers (the extended cut)

Of the 3 LoTR movies this is by far my least favorite. I understand that movies pace differently then books, and a lot of things need to be changed in order to make a good movie, rather then a good book. But this movie has two of the most glaring changes of the trilogy. Elves at Helm's Deep? I can understand the need to show that the elves hadn't just up and left for the west, but this was not the right time to show it. From a Hollywood perspective I can see why it was done here, it just rubs me the wrong way. The near-total butchering of Faramir's character. I might be a little biased (he is one of my favorite characters) but he is supposed to represent all the was good in humanity, hearkening back to the nobility of the men of numenor. Not be Boromir's whiny little brother who just wants a hug from daddy. From a movie standpoint, I understand the need to segue "meanwhile, back in Gondor..." but I wish there was a better way to do it.

Overall the movies are stunning visually, and do an excellent job bringing LoTR to life, but as with any book-to-movie translations there are going to be bits that make the fanatics twitch. We see the same thing every comic movie translation as well.

Also watched Kick Ass this weekend. Overall a fun movie. Only minimal teen angst/awkwardness (which I generally find painful to watch) and a whole lot of action.