What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Best of Jack Benny Disc 02 (of 04) -- This seems to be less a 'best of' and more 'here's what we found on Archive.org', but it does save me the trouble of making my own discs. The episodes are listed in order that they appear on the disc (this one hops back & forth across a period of 1954 to 1963):

S05E03 (#34) Jack tells the story of how he found Mary.

S08E07 (#86) Jack goes Christmas Shopping -- Features several members of the radio cast, with Mel Blanc as the sales clerk who has to suffer Jack's indicisive shopping every year.

S05E10 (#41) Jack is awakened by a telephone call at 4AM.

S07E08 (#71) Guest Jayne Mansfield's brief appearance is to recover her purse, which was taken by an usher as a way to get her into the building. Jack hosts a talent show.

S08E10 (#89) "Honeymooner's Sketch" -- Guest Audrey Meadows reprises her role as Ralph's wife Alice, with Jack playing Ralph, and Dennis Day playing Norton.

S09E10 (#105) "Prision of the Future" sketch. Jack and guest Ernie Kovacs star in this sketch that looks at what prision would be like in the year 1970.

S11E04 (#129) "Jack's Hong Kong Suit" -- Guest Gisele MacKenzie. Jack brags about getting a new suit for only $12.00.

S11E07 (#132) "Death Across the Lunch Counter" or "He Died Sunny-Side Up" -- Guest Dan Duryea appears in this remake of episode #42 (with guest George Raft). That was a remake of a 1950 radio episode with guest Richard Widmark, which was a remake of a 1946 radio episode with guest Edward G. Robinson.

S11E11 (#136) Jack holds audtions for a television special about his life in this remake of episode #36.

S11E13 (#138) "Don Wilson's 27th Anniversary with Jack"

S13E18 (#195) Jack rents-out his house before leaving on a show tour.

I just watched an old favorite that I picked up at amazon.

Fitzwilly starring Dick Van Dyke and Barbara Feldon.

They used to run every year around Christmas on TV, but stopped a good 10 or 15 years ago.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, so it was great to find it on dvd.

I swore I was done with No Ordinary Family, but I just watched the most recent episode on Hulu. Now I really am done.

There is no possible alternate universe where an extremely attractive woman in her late twenties like that lab girl could be a virgin. That was just bad writing. I'm surprised that the actress could get the line out without laughing. Even with their somewhat tired in universe conceit that she is a huge geek, there would be scores of horny geek boys aiming their penises at her all the time. Someone would eventually penetrate her defenses. Do you know how much attention the few geek girls in my high school got? They actually got to be very popular and selective within the appropriate social circle. Add bombshell on top of that and virgin is no longer an option.

On a side note, they're selling D&D in the red box at Target? I saw a commercial for it with the show. When did this happen? Is this now a mainstream activity? Who made this decision, and why wasn't I notified that I could live out in the sunlight with the normal people? I guess this is all theoretical because I haven't played any D&D in two plus decades, but how times have changed. We were pariah when I was in high school. Now you can just go into Wal Mart's slightly upscale cousin to get your fix.

I swore I was done with No Ordinary Family' date=' but I just watched the most recent episode on Hulu. Now I really am done.[/quote']I was done when they had the tired old cliche of "You can't use your abilities to excel at anything." Why not? If I had the ability to excel at something because of an extraordinary gift, I WOULD use it. Screw all those people that think it is elitist or unfair.

On a side note, they're selling D&D in the red box at Target? I saw a commercial for it with the show. When did this happen? Is this now a mainstream activity? Who made this decision, and why wasn't I notified that I could live out in the sunlight with the normal people? I guess this is all theoretical because I haven't played any D&D in two plus decades, but how times have changed. We were pariah when I was in high school. Now you can just go into Wal Mart's slightly upscale cousin to get your fix.
Whatever you do, do NOT buy the Red Box. It is utter crap. I fell into a nostalgia moment and bought it. It is a horrid example or marketing over substance. If you have any desire to play D&D again, just start picking up the Essentials line. Order the books off of Barnes and Noble, where they are much less expensive. And just in case you missed it before, skip the Red Box.

Doctor Who - 002 - The Daleks (1963-1964) This early in the series each episode had a title, the seven chapters of this story are: "The Dead Planet" - "The Survivors" - "The Escape" - "The Ambush" - "The Expedition" - "The Ordeal" and "The Rescue"

Doctor Who - 003 - The Edge of Destruction (1964) The first trip to the formation of Earth's solar system during the series. This story had two chapters: "The Edge of Destruction" and "The Brink of Disaster". The first hints that the TARDIS is alive in its own way occur in this story.

Doctor Who - 004 - Marco Polo (1964, Reconstruction 2002) -- All seven chapters of this serial are missing, this version has been recreated from the soundtracks of each chapter and colorized copies of production stills and telesnaps taken during the filiming of these episodes. The chapters in this story are/were: "The Roof of the World" - "The Singing Sands" - "Five Hundred Eyes" - "The Wall of Lies" - "Rider from Shang-Tu" - "Mighty Kublai Khan" and "Assassin at Peking"

Superman Batman Apocalypse (Great!)

Vampires Suck (If the cast and crew worked for free they were overpaid)

Iron Man 2 (Better then the critics said)

Batman Brave and the Bold Season 1 Vol 1 (DC Animated are better they the live action movies)

They had a 24-hour marathon of Our Gang comedies on Turner Movie Classics and I DVR-ed them all. I'm about halfway through them now, and so far they've all been silent films. These movies are a time capsule of what a 1920s audience would consider family entertainment, despite what are now considered unacceptable cultural attitudes.

Also watched these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB_PpoGs8Q4

Predators

The French Chef with Julia Child: Disk 1

Predators was about what I expected, not a bad action flick.

It was fun to watch the mother of all cooking shows. Bringing haute cuisine to the average american kitchen. She used more heavy cream and butter in one episode than I use in a year, not heathy by todays standards, but looked yummy. One camera, live (with mistakes made) filming. Not the slick, refined, modern cooking show. But real, practical recipes and tips. Sometimes it's more useful to see them screw up. She was making potato pancakes, flipping them in the pan, and didn't wait long enough for a good crust to form. It was nice to see what not to do, and hear tips for salvaging a dish by adding a little something, or how to recover. Modern TV chefs are so polished, with multiple takes and assistants helping them off-screen, it can be hard to learn techniques from them.

I watched the 2-hour premier of The Cape. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasanly surprised by more than I expected. ;)

Watched an old episode of Mythbusters where they destroyed huge numbers of cars for Science! I love that show and eagerly await new episodes.

I also watched a program on CNBC about how Ford weathered the recession without requiring an influx of taxpayers' money. I really hope they manage to kick their addiction for profits-right-now-at-the-expense-of-future-corporate-survival. I'd really like to be proud of the American automobile industry for reasons unrelated to denial or ignorance.