What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Nat "King" Cole: Fear of the Dark, great if a bit Hagiographic (they laid the "he was such a great guy" bit a bit too thick while glossing over his serial adultery and drinking problems).  Wonderful examination of Nat's talent and life, and something that people said several times in it is very true: his music is timeless.  You can listen to it today and its as clean and fresh and good as it was when he first recorded it.

The Last Jedi and Bright

TLJ was decent.  Acting and dialogue were strong (for a Star Wars movie) and the shots were amazing.  I really liked how badly the trailer 'lied' - it didn't tell the story at all.  I think that's part of the backlash, though - people made their own movie based upon what they'd seen and the real thing didn't match it.

Bright was decent as well - too much swearing, but it comes with the genre.  I didn't really have questions going in but have a ton coming out.   I'm still undecided if that's a sign of good setup or poor payoff.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, DasBroot said:

The Last Jedi and Bright

TLJ was decent.  Acting and dialogue were strong (for a Star Wars movie) and the shots were amazing.  I really liked how badly the trailer 'lied' - it didn't tell the story at all.  I think that's part of the backlash, though - people made their own movie based upon what they'd seen and the real thing didn't match it.

Bright was decent as well - too much swearing, but it comes with the genre.  I didn't really have questions going in but have a ton coming out.   I'm still undecided if that's a sign of good setup or poor payoff.  Time will tell.

Haven't seen TLJ yet

I look at Bright as a really good pilot for a TV series.  Just wishful thinking, bur it was better than most fant on TV.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

I look at Bright as a really good pilot for a TV series.  Just wishful thinking, bur it was better than most fant on TV.

Which would be another comparison to the 1990's property Alien Nation, which was in fact turned into a TV series with a different cast. It lasted one season, and ended on the single nastiest unresolved cliffhanger you will ever see.

3 hours ago, DasBroot said:

I really liked how badly the trailer 'lied' - it didn't tell the story at all.  I think that's part of the backlash, though - people made their own movie based upon what they'd seen and the real thing didn't match it.

Word. "We didn't know every plot detail going in! How do you expect us to enjoy something like that!"

Spiral season 6 episode 1. The police find a torso in a bag. The new director wants them to pass it onto a different section. The captain is supposed to be on maternity leave but comes back as her baby is in an incubator. The female lawyer is sleepwalking through her cases when she sees the young magistrate walk by. An old colleague asks her to take on a defence case for a son who killed his father. She asks her boss who declines so she tells him she will resign to take the case. The old magistrate is acting out of sorts and is eventually persuaded to go for medical checks. He might have a tumour. The police identify a possible victim who has prescription swimming goggles. He worked in a halal slaughterhouse. A chase erupts there because the abattoir boss was forging the halal certificate. He tells them the victim is in hospital. The police pick him up there and find out that another guy swam at the same swimming pool. From the pool they identify a man and go to his address. They can't get in to his flat so they try via the roof and a balcony. Inside they find the head. And that the guy was a graduate of the police academy.