What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

I watched the very poorly reviewed movie The Circle for free via Amazon Prime. It deserves all the poor reviews. What a wasted opportunity!  I assume the original script must have looked good, or those a-list stars wouldn't have signed up. Maybe it died on the cutting room floor? Whatever the cause, the end result is a boring, predictable movie that doesn't really have anything interesting or useful to say.

Black Mirror has much better commentary on social media and technology in general. Watch that instead. :)

The second episode of Spiral Season 6. The police visit an old comrade who now heads his own station. he is informed that the torso is one of his officers. Meanwhile back at the station the cops try to keep the case while their boss wants to transfer it. The magistrate is investigating the sudden death of a young man and discovers that he was selling himself. He is asked by the prosecutor to keep him appraised as he knows the family but rudely rebuffs him. Lawyer Karlsson sees her case begin to unravel before she manages to convince her client to tell her the truth. Despite being officially taken off the case the cops follow a lead as the dead officer took surveillance photos when he was supposed to be on sick leave. The magistrate having had visits from several of the police officers decides to take on the case as it is linked to one he is already involved in started by Internal Affairs. He believes the prosecutor maybe the one who made a police call to the authorities after spending time with the young man. The police chief lies to his underlings saying he persuaded the magistrate to bring the case back. His underlings thank him but know he is not telling the truth. The cops raid two men who they suspect killed their fellow officer and one of them pockets some small gold ingots he has found. His girlfriend's mother is in a care home that costs and she needs money for it. 

Watched Wolf Children today. It looks and feels very much like a Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki production, but isn't. Interestingly enough, we had both it and Red Turtle on hold at the library for some time, and it just turned out that the two similarly themed movies came in at the same time. While Red Turtle was pretty devoid of anything but its gimmick of having no dialog beyond "Hey!", Wolf Children was quite charming. The art and animation was superb, with great attention to detail in all of the background/setting art. Lots of little touches that really added to it. I'm talking on the level of remembering to draw that little tab that sticks out of a plastic grocery bag after you pull it off the stack. The artists must have been obsessive with using photo references.

Anyway, this is another anime about a human marrying a magical animal person. In this case, a young woman meets a werewolf (a wolf wearing human form in this case), marries him, and has two children with him. The story follows the life of the family, and is pretty much just a slice of life type of affair, with no huge dramatic moments. But it's charming and well-done, and was a pleasure to watch.

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

The second episode of Spiral Season 6. The police visit an old comrade who now heads his own station. he is informed that the torso is one of his officers. Meanwhile back at the station the cops try to keep the case while their boss wants to transfer it. The magistrate is investigating the sudden death of a young man and discovers that he was selling himself. He is asked by the prosecutor to keep him appraised as he knows the family but rudely rebuffs him. Lawyer Karlsson sees her case begin to unravel before she manages to convince her client to tell her the truth. Despite being officially taken off the case the cops follow a lead as the dead officer took surveillance photos when he was supposed to be on sick leave. The magistrate having had visits from several of the police officers decides to take on the case as it is linked to one he is already involved in started by Internal Affairs. He believes the prosecutor maybe the one who made a police call to the authorities after spending time with the young man. The police chief lies to his underlings saying he persuaded the magistrate to bring the case back. His underlings thank him but know he is not telling the truth. The cops raid two men who they suspect killed their fellow officer and one of them pockets some small gold ingots he has found. His girlfriend's mother is in a care home that costs and she needs money for it. 

Did the show get a replacement for Pierre Clement? I'm still waiting for MHz to et the rights to Season 6 of Spiral, but it looks like Season 7 of Un Village Francais will premier soon. Two of the stars of spiral (the actors who play Karlsson and Gilou) are in that show.

In the meantime, I got to watch the premier of The Team.

John Noakes TV Hero. This was about the children's TV presenter who died in May of 2017. He was on Blue Peter for 12 years. He did all sorts of things like parachuting out of aircraft, climbing Nelson's Column without safety equipment, going down a bobsleigh run and coming off it. He had a regional accent and was one of the first presenters to be allowed to use said accent on TV. Perhaps most famous for the infamous Lulu the elephant incident

20 minutes ago, death tribble said:

John Noakes TV Hero. This was about the children's TV presenter who died in May of 2017. He was on Blue Peter for 12 years. He did all sorts of things like parachuting out of aircraft, climbing Nelson's Column without safety equipment, going down a bobsleigh run and coming off it. He had a regional accent and was one of the first presenters to be allowed to use said accent on TV. Perhaps most famous for the infamous Lulu the elephant incident

He's no Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

This weekend I watched Marcus Mariota catch a touchdown pass from himself.  I also watched a lot of the Golden Globes, which was mostly dull except for Oprah's speech.

that football game was the epitome of a QB willing his team back in the game and then winning it.

i finally got to watch Rogue `1 which my mother got me as my New Year present. Impressive. Showed the power of the Death Star as it powered up. It gave a credible reason for the Death Star to have the weakness all along. Nice to see Mads Mikkelsen playing a good guy for a change. Adding veterans like Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen did not overshadow the cast but added to it. It was good. And yet again adding British actors to the mix.  Mother liked K2SO and knocking out the troopers. Adding footage of Star Wars was a nice touch as the squadrons would be around. Nice to link the prequels and the main Star Wars films through this film.

I'm mainlining TRAVELERS on Netflix right now. I'm halfway through the second season. I really hope it gets picked up for a third season.

Time travelers from a horrible, apocalyptic future are downloaded into the minds of people in the (our) present--hundreds of years before their time--who were about to die. They take over their bodies and lives and work as teams to perform various missions that they hope will allow them to prevent the awful future, or at least improve it. It's a one-time, one-way trip. The nature of time travel generally prevents "do-overs" so if a mission fails, it fails. There's lots I could say about this series, but SPOILERS.

I really like this show.

On 12/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Which would be another comparison to the 1990's property Alien Nation, which was in fact turned into a TV series with a different cast. It lasted one season, and ended on the single nastiest unresolved cliffhanger you will ever see.

As compared to Farscape zapping its two lead characters into jujubes in the final seconds just after a marriage proposal was made and accepted?

https://youtu.be/AAZxGIkTkMY?t=2m56s

I saw Jumanji over the weekend, quite enjoyable! And watched the first episode of Looking the other day—I'm leaning toward buying the series ratehr than watching all the rest of it on library DVDs.

• 2 weeks later...

River Monsters. This is hosted by angler Jeremy Wade and this episode was about how a woman was killed off a reef in Indonesia by a fish which speared her through the eye socket. Jeremy examined various potential suspects including Marlin and stingrays. Turned out the culprit was the needle fish. Normally active at night, this fish had attacked as it was attracted by the woman's diamond jewellery.

Top 50 incidents in ECW. This covered some of the most iconic moments in thee history of the company from Shane Douglas throwing away the NWA belt he just won to champion the ECW brand to the first wins of Tommy Dreamer and Mickey Whipwreck. Commentary came from Mick Foley, Lance Storm, Tazz, Joey Styles, Raven, Jericho, the Dudley Boyz and Tommy Dreamer. All available on Youtube in 10 fifteen minute segments.

The new animated Godzilla film on Netflix.

Art was good and the G-Man himself was treated as the unstoppable force of nature fans beg for - but it definitely suffers a pacing problem and entire scenes are filled with literally made up words that are being strung together in a way that would make technobabble masters from any Trek series get crossed eyes.  Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing indeed.

First 15 minutes and then once they get back to earth - if I watched it again that's what I'd do and I feel like I would lose nothing.

Blade Runner 2049 -- Serviceable extension to the Blade Runner setting, suffers some of the same flaws of the original with pacing and story development, but is visually and audibly stunning. The Dolby Atmos mix on the 4K Blu Ray is *LOUD*, especially in the LFE (subwoofer) and height channels, and I wouldn't recommend playing this late at night unless you want everyone to be shaken awake.

Halt and Catch Fire -- Finished the first season, having trouble getting into the second season.

The Good Place -- About halfway through the first season. I had stalled on this one in the second episode, until I found an article online that gave me a peek at a plot point in the last episode of the first season.