What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

13 hours ago, st barbara said:

Saw the new version of "Tomb Raider" last night. I quite liked it with the lead actress (Vikander) doing a good job as a young Lara Croft. It looks to me as if they are setting up for a sequel with hints being dropped about her family that look like obvious plot hooks.

Sadly, I can't get to a movie for a bit due to tax season schedule, but I am curious. As a fan of the recent video game reboot, have you played it? I was wondering how similar the movie was to the new storylines.

Love, Simon. I wish there had been movies like this when I was a teenager. I'm thrilled beyond the telling of it that LGBT kids can now have a teen romance about characters like themselves playing in mainstream theaters across the country. Was also a fun watch apart from the groundbreaking aspect—it reminded me a lot of Easy A.

19 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Love, Simon. I wish there had been movies like this when I was a teenager. I'm thrilled beyond the telling of it that LGBT kids can now have a teen romance about characters like themselves playing in mainstream theaters across the country. Was also a fun watch apart from the groundbreaking aspect—it reminded me a lot of Easy A.

The book title was way better.  "'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" 

Halfway through Jessica Jones Season 2. Still excellent, and a solid noir series with the right amount of "super in the real world" vibe for me. Daredevil and JJ have, IMO, effectively merged the gritty, realistic drama with the super heroic touches quite well. First half of Luke Cage was outstanding, probably the best of any of the Marvel series, but second half was too disjointed. Iron Fist was crap, and Defenders was mostly crap, because of Iron Fist. Punisher was really good, but had nothing at all to do with the Marvel Universe, which is a miss. You finally have kind of world to justify a badass, Jason Bourne like action dude, but they strip it completely down to a very realistic level, taking all the "super" out.  I liked it, but scratched my head at that.

Jessica Jones is still the most interesting and funny of all the main characters, and I'd watch Ritter swig booze and mumble one liners all day.

We got a deal on some Netflix, so I've done a bit of binging lately. Caught up on the Marvel shows, namely Punisher, Iron Fist and Defenders. I haven't seen Jessica Jones season 2 yet.

I didn't mind Iron Fist too much, despite its flaws. The villains and Colleen Wing were good. Danny, though . . . that boy's just stupid. Hopefully, he'll have matured some by season 2. I also read that they're starting the physical training well in advance of the season this time, so hopefully it'll be better. I really want to see more explosive power and precision out of him, instead of the sloppy, loose choreography of the first season. Defenders was OK, not great, loved the female characters all in one show finally, and would love to see a Daughters of the Dragon series replace Iron Fist.

Watched Season 4 (series 4) of Black Mirror. It kind of sucked in a lot of ways. In several episodes they just plain tossed any notion of plausibility out the window, which doesn't really work for me given its near future SciFi premise. Weakest season so far. It had a few good bits, though.

Into the Badlands finally came to Netflix, but I couldn't get through the first episode. I just didn't like the writing, or the acting enough to get interested.

I watched an anime called The Gate on Hulu. It was OK. Fairly average story, and watchable, but nothing to write home about.

Season 2 of Stranger Things. Outstanding. Can't believe they pulled it off again. Can't wait for season 3.

Bright. Pretty typical cop buddy movie plot at the end of the day, but I liked it. The guy playing Jakoby stole the show. I'd watch a sequel.

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

We got a deal on some Netflix, so I've done a bit of binging lately. Caught up on the Marvel shows, namely Punisher, Iron Fist and Defenders. I haven't seen Jessica Jones season 2 yet.

I didn't mind Iron Fist too much, despite its flaws. The villains and Colleen Wing were good. Danny, though . . . that boy's just stupid. Hopefully, he'll have matured some by season 2. I also read that they're starting the physical training well in advance of the season this time, so hopefully it'll be better. I really want to see more explosive power and precision out of him, instead of the sloppy, loose choreography of the first season. Defenders was OK, not great, loved the female characters all in one show finally, and would love to see a Daughters of the Dragon series replace Iron Fist.

Watched Season 4 (series 4) of Black Mirror. It kind of sucked in a lot of ways. In several episodes they just plain tossed any notion of plausibility out the window, which doesn't really work for me given its near future SciFi premise. Weakest season so far. It had a few good bits, though.

Into the Badlands finally came to Netflix, but I couldn't get through the first episode. I just didn't like the writing, or the acting enough to get interested.

I watched an anime called The Gate on Hulu. It was OK. Fairly average story, and watchable, but nothing to write home about.

Season 2 of Stranger Things. Outstanding. Can't believe they pulled it off again. Can't wait for season 3.

Bright. Pretty typical cop buddy movie plot at the end of the day, but I liked it. The guy playing Jakoby stole the show. I'd watch a sequel.

Suggestions... if you like Stranger Things... check out a German show on Netflix called "Dark"   One episode in you'll be like, "Oh... this is the German version of Stranger Things," but if you stick with it will become something WAY more complex and really, really good.

I enjoyed Into the Badlands by the end of Season 1... is Season 2 out on Netflix, because I've been waiting for that?

10 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Suggestions... if you like Stranger Things... check out a German show on Netflix called "Dark"

Added to my queue, thanks.

10 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

I enjoyed Into the Badlands by the end of Season 1... is Season 2 out on Netflix, because I've been waiting for that?

Season 2 is up. Must've gone up recently, wasn't there when I watched the first episode of 1.

The execution wasn't terrible, and it had its good points, but I prefer getting an actual story rather than a vignette if I invest that much time into a movie. That's just a preference. I don't mind relatively plotless things if they're short. I thought the acting was good, the cinematography good, and the design good. Loved Ana de Armas. She stole every scene she was in.

8 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Watched the latest Jason Bourne movie finally, last night. Funny how something so ground breaking and excellent when it came out, has become so formulaic and boring. I enjoyed the Bourne Legace/Renner spin-off a lot more.

From Treadstone to Retread-stone... blah.

Jeremy Renner, the Legacy actor whose series never come about. He was also supposed to replace Cruise as the lead in the Mission Impossible movies (after his intro in MI:4). I wonder if they considered letting Hawkeye become Cap in marvel.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2. Got this as a present and first chance I have had to watch it. Got a major entity in and out at the same time. Also pulled in Mantis and the original Guardians. It was nice to see well known names playing the original Guardians and not overshadowing the whole thing (in my far from humble opinion). The Hasselhoff cameo was good. And Stan Lee's presence was priceless.

Although Drax did not have a lot to do what he did do was good. And I liked what Rocket did to the Ravagers. Yondu got a nice send off.

I finally saw the first season on RWBY in one sitting on YouTube. The show is sort of a contradiction. The 2-D CGI of the actual show is much poorer image quality than the 3-D models in RWBY Chibi. The story is off to a good start -- it's an action show about slaying monsters, but also deals with issues like bullying and racism. And the fight scenes are spectacular, if a little familiar if you're an anime fan. It helped that it a fan edit into a single feature-length movie.

I haven;t gotten into Season 2 very deep yet. Perhaps the fact that this isn't a movie edit is getting in the way, or maybe my attention span was slipping that night.

So far, Blake is Best Girl, although all of them have points of interest.