What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Cannonball Run II.  Never saw it before.

It wasn't as good as the first one, but leaves one question.

How did Shirley MacLaine go from Terms of Endearment to Cannonball Run II in a year?  It took Faye Dunaway seven years to go from Network to Supergirl.

(I know, I go right for the jugular, the then again that's where all the yummy blood is.)

On 5/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, RDU Neil said:

My wife and I started watching the original Avatar: The Last Airbender over the weekend. Only three seasons, we got through one and a half, seeing what all the fuss is about. Very high quality kids show, clearly created by people who love wuxia and martial arts. I probably wouldn't watch it all if it was just up to me... it is pretty juvenile... but I can recognize high quality animation, characters, and story telling, even if I'm not the target audience.

Interestingly, it is only available if you can find a service that streams Nickelodeon. And the format is still 2007 era, SD. Supposedly the entire series (and the sequel Legend of Korra) are being released in June on remastered Blu-Ray... so that should look really nice, and maybe they will start to show up on more easily accessible streaming services like Netflix or Amazon.

I have all of the Avatar Airbender series on my shelf. Consumer vote. That is maybe the finest kids show ever made in my opinion.

The next series - Legend of Korra was just as good.

Aggretsuko may be a Sanrio red panda, but she has hands-down the worst life of any of her fellow denizen's of the company's world. Restuko works at a horrible office, with backbiting co-workers and really mean bosses. She takes it all pandafully, but at the end of the day (which usually late, as people keep piling their own work on her so they can leave on time), she goes to the karaoke parlor and screams out her frustrations to the relaxing sounds of Death Metal.

This may be the most devastating satire of the Japanese way of white-collar work I've seen in a long time. It's sort of like what Dilbert might have been like were Scott Adams not a misogynistic ass, and shows some sympathy for poor Restuko's plight. I suspect the Sanrio offices (and most anime studios) are similarly nightmarish places to work.

By the way, if you ever wondered what happened when Sanrio characters got drunk....

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

Just watched the first two episodes of Cobra Kai on YouTube. Recommended. It's a nostalgic, funny continuation of the story of Danny and Johnny's rivalry from the original Karate Kid movies, with the original actors in the roles. Going to binge it.

Loved it. 

The City and the City episode 1. A murder links two cities but the people in either city are not allowed to look at the other. Based on a China Melville novel. Looks intriguing.

The Bridge season 1 part 1. A dead body is found on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden exactly on the border. But it is two bodies, one from Sweden and one from Denmark. The police thus have to co-operate to work out what has happened. the car that was used to dump the bodies belongs to a journalist who then finds his car is wired to explode. It is a good start. Subtitles as the whole thing is in Swedish and Danish.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, death tribble said:

The City and the City episode 1. A murder links two cities but the people in either city are not allowed to look at the other. Based on a China Melville novel. Looks intriguing.

The Bridge season 1 part 1. A dead body is found on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden exactly on the border. But it is two bodies, one from Sweden and one from Denmark. The police thus have to co-operate to work out what has happened. the car that was used to dump the bodies belongs to a journalist who then finds his car is wired to explode. It is a good start. Subtitles as the whole thing is in Swedish and Danish. 

I just watched "The Tunnel" which was the exact same thing... but between England and France... and the US did a remake of The Bridge between "merica and Mexico.

Which one was first?  The Tunnel was WAY better than the 'merican show.

34 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The Bridge came first and was followed by The Tunnel.

I saw two season of the Tunnel.

British/French mysteries are so slow.  I think it's the lack of a good American car chase and shoot out.

Currently I got caught up in a new Danish series on Netflix "The Rain"

It is a typically Danish, bleak, post-apocalyptic series that involves a sister and her younger brother who grow up for six years in a bunker, and they get out, searching for their father who may or may not have been the cause of the apocalypse in the first place. It isn't as amazing/compelling as the German show "Dark" but it is well acted and the main lead, Alba August, is excellent as the older sibling who is both strong, but naïve about the dangerous world that now exists. I'll certainly continue after the first couple episodes.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, death tribble said:

Then you'd hate The Bridge. And the French series Spiral.

I'm a fan of Spiral; I'm waiting for Season 6 to show in the USA.

Have you seen Un Village Francais? It's a great show. Two of the stars from Spiral (the actors playing Karlsson and Gilou) are in this series.

I have seen both seasons of the Tunnel. I like it a lot. I haven't seen The Bridge yet, but it's on my must-see list.

I've been obsessed with the most recent episodes of Steven Universe, In fact, I've seen the latest about five times, and I still can't quite believe it.

One of the central points of the plot since about the third season is that five thousand years ago the rebel leader Rose Quartz "shattered" the colonial overlord of earth, Pink Diamond. Shattering is the Gem equivalent of real, permanent, she's-never-coming-back death, so naturally this was a big deal and the other, more experienced members of the Diamond Authority took such serious offense that they shattered thousands of rebel gems, infected all but three of the rebel Crystal Gems with a terrible condition called Corruption, and planted a gestating geoweapon into the core of the planet that would, when "born", shatter the globe into a million pieces. They were pissed.

Now Steven is the son of Rose Quartz and the only known being who is both a human being and a Gem. And as he learns more about the Gem War that led to the struggles the Crystal gems face now,  he starts to ask himself what really happened to Pink Diamond (he had even gone on trail for the murder on the Gem Homeworld, and escaped by the skin of his teeth). He really wants to know what happened, and in this latest wepisode he does.

And his world is completely shattered, and nothing will ever be the same again....

20 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

That is a big time throwback. I remember watching that when it came out... I was in what, middle school? Was there more than one season?

The you tube channel says so but I don't think so. I think in this case it was broken in two and the loader has put them up that way.

CES