What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

I just watched "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" in Theater. A Film containing one of the propably last 3 Cameos of Stan Lee (the other ones being Captain Marvel and Avengers 4).

The visual Style is a bit hard to follow especially in 3D. But it was a decent Superhero Origin Story. And a Superhero Origin Story. And a Superhero Origin Story.

Finish3ed binging 1983, from Netflix.

a Polish based Netflix original series, where events in 1983 stalled the collapse of the Berlin Wall, and the Cold War continued until the mid 2000's. However because of events in 1983, Poland was able to come together, similar to the US after 9-11, and distance itself somewhat from the Soviet Union.  Now some secrets are starting to leak out.  

On 12/16/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pariah said:

One of the networks here has been running a Star Wars marathon this weekend. I've seen bits and pieces of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Revenge of the Sith.

In my computer club we have been doing a Star Wars marathon over the previous month and this one. Prequels, Rogue One and Solo included. All in Storyline order. I only watched parts of it.

Something I started watching was a Youtube Series: "If the emperor had a text to speech device". I can only link it because they use the f-word literally in the first 2 minutes.

It consist of:

- a primer into the 40k Universe

- a father/son story

- and lots of children card games for souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg

Edit: i found a proper Playlist from a 3rd party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg&index=3&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

Just came out of Aquaman.

It suffers the usual DC issue of being "so long, it could use a break". The Visual effects and the introduction of Atlantean culture(s?) are good and show a lot of thought went even into small details.

The story reminded me in large parts of "Throne of Atlantis", but with a unique take. But afaik that is the new 52 Storyline. Way more focus on the whole "feudal society" part, however.

The Jonathan Ross Christmas Show. It had Gillian Anderson on it. Don't judge me. Rob Lowe, Sheridan Smith and the winner of this year's Great British Bake Off we're also guests. John Legend did music.

Later With Jools Holland. The music programme in its hour form. Some good, some bad. Mainly geared to a British market. A good new one from Echo and the Bunnymen.

Rome The Eternal City. Simon Sebag Montefiore takes us through Rome as a pagan place and capital of the Roman Empire, the establishment of the church in Rome and then its renaissance. Very good but then I like Simon's style and I am a fan of Roman history.

The Long Shadow. This trio of programmes by David Reynolds looks at the war between 1914-18 and our perceptions of it. He argues quite convincingly that our view of the war is coloured by the 1939-45 war, that the BBC did a series in 1964 on the 50th anniversary of the war's beginning which was the first time many homes had the view of the war and the threat of nuclear destruction in the 60s. Mr Reynolds argued that the war had great effects, mass democracy across Europe and what happened in Europe did not happen in Britain. It also argued that the two British PMs Stanley Baldwin and Ramsey McDonald were better that was thought because they kept the country together at the expense of enforcing the North South divide. He also showed how Communism, Fascism and American Republicanism were all tried in Europe post 1919. A fascinating and enjoyable series.

Just rewatched The Shadow. I may be in the minority, but I really liked Baldwin's Shadow, and the characters in it. John Lone was excellent as the over the top Shiwan Khan, Tim Curry made a great toady. Loved the representation of how he "Knows" whats going on, with informants all over the city feeding him information. Really wish had been popular enough to do more. Now, given he does tv, wish they would do a series. I liked that they didn't make him uber powerful.

9 hours ago, slikmar said:

Just rewatched The Shadow. I may be in the minority, but I really liked Baldwin's Shadow, and the characters in it. John Lone was excellent as the over the top Shiwan Khan, Tim Curry made a great toady. Loved the representation of how he "Knows" whats going on, with informants all over the city feeding him information. Really wish had been popular enough to do more. Now, given he does tv, wish they would do a series. I liked that they didn't make him uber powerful.

So did I. It's one of my favs and I rewatch it at least every other year.

Last night however I was watching Doctor Strange.

15 hours ago, death tribble said:

Later With Jools Holland. The music programme in its hour form. Some good, some bad. Mainly geared to a British market. A good new one from Echo and the Bunnymen.

That's the Jools Pete Townshend was referring to in "Jools and Jim", isn't it? The one he chided by saying she "listened to love with her intellect"?