What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On 1/5/2019 at 9:21 AM, mattingly said:

I wish we'd get to see some more Darcy in the MCU.

"How's space?" "Space is fine."

On 1/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Starlord said:

Uggh.  Please no.

That seems to sum up the spectrum of reaction to Darcy.

I believe Kat Dennings is currently unemployed, so...

The Adventurers. Two Boer soldiers are fleeing the British and get separated before they find out the war is over. One finds diamonds and plans to return to them but needs to get some money first. He ends up working with the man who has married the woman he loved. The soldiers are reunited and with the bar owner head out to find the diamonds. It does not end well. A 50s British movie.

Compulsion. This is a 50s film based on the Leopold and Loeb case. Here Bradford Dillman and Dean Stockwell play the murderers and Orson Welles plays the attorney brought in to save them.

Captive Heart. A Czech officer masquerades as a British officer to escape the Germans and ends up in a POW camp with real British prisoners. He has to write to the dead officer's family to maintain the masquerade.

King Solomon's Mines. This is the first version of the adaptations and dates from 1937. It features Paul Robeson singing. It is not bad.

Talk of the Town. A judge and an activist vie for the same girl while the activist is hiding out from the law. Ronald Coleman and Cary Grant star. Worth a look.

The Monster from Green Hell. Don't send insects up into orbit as Giant Wasps are the result. They make a really effective scream when they are hit by lava though.

Yesterday's Enemy. British soldiers on the run from the Japanese in Burma end up in a Burmese village which is occupied by the Japanese. A rather bleak war film with Stanley Baker.

Train of Events. A train is involved in a collision and it then backtracks to what various people did on the train. This was Peter Finch's first film. It is a late 40s film

Finished Season 3 of The Man in the High Castle the other day. The two year gap between seasons left us wondering who many of the side characters were, and there were a couple extraneous side plots (they were both OK, but could have done with just one or the other, unless they become important in a later season), but after it got rolling it was pretty decent. Did some world building this season in explaining how something worked, then making it have a significant impact on the plot. Hopefully, they won't have as long of a wait for Season 4.

I watched season 1 of Man in the High Castle, and while it had an interesting tone, I found it to be a bit of a slow burn, and then I just lost track of it when it took so long to get season 2 out. I also have a bit of a problem whenever a story that is structured and paced as a short novel gets expanded far beyond its original scope and intent just so some entertainment conglomerate can extract as much revenue from it as possible.

Watched the most recent NJPW event from January. They showed 3 matches (Cody vs Juice Robinson for US Championship(iirc), Jericho vs Naito for intercontinental championship and Omega vs Tanahashi for Heavyweight Championship). The matches were good, but it became obvious by nights end that they were setup to dump the titles held by those joining All Elite Wrestling (which could be a really good federation, I just hated seeing NJPW use a MAJOR event to do this) to NJPW wrestlers, so Juice, Naito and Tanahashi all won. The one I was probably most disappointed with result was the last one. I fully expected a full circle of Okada regaining the belt with a new finisher and personally feel, as good as Tanahashi is, his time has passed and they were doing this whole storyline of him disliking foreigners, which is really unlike the character he has been. I assume sometime soon, he will lose to Okada.

Also, started watching Titan Games with the Rock. Is fun, kind of the anti American Ninja Warrior, more about strength and endurance then, for lack of a better term, mountain climbing hand strength. And Rock is great about making fun of himself, which works and the 2 normal announcers aren't overly annoying.

48 minutes ago, zslane said:

I watched season 1 of Man in the High Castle, and while it had an interesting tone, I found it to be a bit of a slow burn, and then I just lost track of it when it took so long to get season 2 out. I also have a bit of a problem whenever a story that is structured and paced as a short novel gets expanded far beyond its original scope and intent just so some entertainment conglomerate can extract as much revenue from it as possible.

I'm a fan of PKD and have read and enjoyed all of his books and short stories, and I was looking forward (with some trepidation) to seeing Amazon's adaptation of Man in the High Castle, back before S1 launched. My wife, who has read most of PKD's works, was guardedly looking forward to it as well.

Then S1 dropped, and we watched it with a growing sense that, as you say, the story was being dragged out way too long. We lost interest, and never bothered with S2.

Such a waste!

PKD may be one of the few that there has not been a faithful translation, though I would say the spirit was kept, and I enjoyed both the movies and the short stories they were based on (Total Recall (first one, not remake), Paycheck, Blade Runner, Minority Report, Scanner Darkly, Screamers, Adjustment Bureau). Its kind of a unique situation.

"Faithful adaptation" is a dirty word (phrase?) in Hollywood.

Adaptation has become the process by which a producer/director/writer rewrites someone else's work because they feel they know better how the story should have been written in the first place. Even producers and directors who claim to be huge fans of a particular original work can't help themselves. For instance, Peter Jackson who, for all his stated love for The Lord of the Rings, simply couldn't resist the temptation to essentially rewrite Tolkien while adapting him for cinema (perhaps the most glaring example of that being the decision to send the Elves of Lothlorien to the Battle of the Hornburg despite the fact that it contradicts not only Tolkien's original text, but the prologue to the first film as well).

5 hours ago, zslane said:

"Faithful adaptation" is a dirty word (phrase?) in Hollywood.

Adaptation has become the process by which a producer/director/writer rewrites someone else's work because they feel they know better how the story should have been written in the first place. Even producers and directors who claim to be huge fans of a particular original work can't help themselves. For instance, Peter Jackson who, for all his stated love for The Lord of the Rings, simply couldn't resist the temptation to essentially rewrite Tolkien while adapting him for cinema (perhaps the most glaring example of that being the decision to send the Elves of Lothlorien to the Battle of the Hornburg despite the fact that it contradicts not only Tolkien's original text, but the prologue to the first film as well). 

I do not care. It was a cool scene. And with all the Details they had kept out, it made sense.

10 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I don't think any PDK work has had a faithful translation to the screen. So, I didn't go in expecting one from Man in the High Castle. It's definitely not a faithful adaptation. It should really be billed as "inspired by."

No, you really can't expect faithful adaptions.  My mistake was expecting something other than a story that's so drawn out that you can see through it. :)

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

And with all the Details they had kept out, it made sense.

Not really. The Last Alliance of Men and Elves at the end of the Second Age is called that for a reason. Peter Jackson may think he knows how to write the story of The Lord of the Rings better than Tolkien did, but I simply don't agree. It reminds me of a letter that Tolkien wrote to Forrest Ackerman (#210) about a fan who seemed to think he was more of an expert on Middle-Earth lore than Tolkien himself: "...[he] may think he knows more about Balrogs than I do, but he cannot expect me to agree with him."

On 1/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, zslane said:

I'm trying to get through Legion. I really am. But it is such an incoherent mind f*ck that I'm ready to give up on it. It gets high marks for being artistically ambitious--though I'm sorely tempted to call it pretentious instead--but it fails to be entertaining in the process, at least for me.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, Starlord said:

I tried, I really did.

I had season one on the DVR.  Made it through E5 or maybe it was E6.  Finally deleted it to make room. 

The Sleeping Tiger. A man who tries to rob a psychiatrist is given the opportunity to redeem himself by agreeing to undergo therapy for a month. A Dirk Bogarde potboiler.

The Black Tent. A man goes to see the Bedouin to find out what happened to his brother who disappeared in the 2nd World War. He gets a cold shoulder at first. Colour film with Donald Sinden.

Man in the Moon. British space agency find a guinea pig for their other astronauts as he does not get kill at all. Kenneth More and Charles Gray are among the cast.

Tomorrow at Ten. A little boy is kidnapped and the kidnapper says the boy will be killed by a bomb the next day if he does not get the money. 

Cities: Natures New Wild. A look at how creatures other than humans adapt to the new habitat of cities. Part 1 is residents such as otters in Singapore, Part 2 is commuters like African penguins in Cape Town and part 3 is outcasts with elephants and rats clashing with man. It also shows peaceful co-existence like the San Clemente Fox and manatees in Crystal River.

Black Sails. Season 1. How John Silver came to work for Captain Flint. Piracy, violence, sex and swearing. Fun. Features real life pirates of the period.

The Thin Man: Nick Charles (William Powell) drinks his way through a missing persons case around Christmas with the help of his wife, Nora (Myrna Loy), and their dog, Asta. (DVD)

After the Thin Man: Nick continues drinking his way through a murder investigation involving Nora's relatives after arriving back in San Francisco by train at New Year's. (DVD)

Both are a lot of fun, and I'll be working my way through the rest of the movie series.

Romancing the Stone: Great romantic action-adventure comedy from 1984, with Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas, and Danny DeVito. (DVD)

Solo: A Star Wars Story: Not horrible, but not great, either. Run time is a little long, and some of the action scenes feel derivative of other works. Musical score is mostly forgettable until it starts quoting John Williams Star Wars themes later in the movie. (Netflix)

I finished Titans on Netflix. Dark, but that is well in line with the original origins of the Comic. Unfortunately this is another show with a dark/cliffhanger ending. The list of shows I am waiting for continuation keeps increasing.

At least Star Trek Discovery restarts tomorrow. At least that show knows how to givee a satisfying conclusion and still have you want more.