What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Last Starfighter, not a bad movie, the CGI was simple and the acting not so bad. I liked it a real coming of age story.

All three of the 'Lord of the Rings' and TNT, loved it even if it took all day. I read the books the first time in something like five days back in the day. I love the scope and feel of epic fantasy.

I just recently re-watched Mary Poppins,

and it prompted me to rewatch Snatch.

I hear the braincells bursting from here....:nonp:

The connection is this...

I've recently been doing some research on the Traveller families of the British Isles (Also known as the pavee, or in various degrees of insult as tinkers, pikeys, gyppos, or gypsies) and discovered that the character of Burt from Mary Poppins was written as a Traveller. I thought about it and decided to watch the two films again as an interesting exercise in comparing the "hollywood-ization" of this culture in the two films.

I just got through watching the 23rd episode of an anime called Black Lagoon. Episode 24 will be the series finale. I have have to rate this one among my top 5 in anime and I have watched a lot of anime.

Any idea when it will release in the US? I hate watching downloads, I prefer to have my copy on the shelf if it is a good show....

Any idea when it will release in the US? I hate watching downloads' date=' I prefer to have my copy on the shelf if it is a good show....[/quote']

I will pre-order it as soon as I can but for now the fansubs will have to do. As Susano pointed out Geneon currently plans to release Volume 1 on April 10, 2007.

I rewatched two good movies: A Mighty Wind, one of Christopher Guest's improvised movies about a folk singing reunion; and one of my all time favorite movies, Big Trouble in Little China. Unfortunately for the second movie, the commentary track was pretty missable - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell shooting the breeze about random things, very few of which involved the movie at all. I wasn't expecting a deep discussion about the artistic relevance of the movie, but I would have preferred they actually talk *about* the film.

Still one of the best movies ever, just not the commentary track.

....and one of my all time favorite movies' date=' [i']Big Trouble in Little China[/i]. Unfortunately for the second movie, the commentary track was pretty missable - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell shooting the breeze about random things, very few of which involved the movie at all. I wasn't expecting a deep discussion about the artistic relevance of the movie, but I would have preferred they actually talk *about* the film.

Did you like the part where they stopped talking? I thought my sound system had failed for a moment and then had to wonder if the commentary was still working. However, there were a few nice discoveries in the commentary track -- but mostly early on before they two of them got bored and started simply yammering.

Ah, yes, I should count my actual "At the theater" movies...

Rocky Balboa... It was nice to see him scale the whole thing down. The films had gotten progressively inflated and glitzy. Rocky V had been an attempt to bring that back down to earth, and from what I understand, in Stallone's draft of the script, Rocky winds up dying in that final fight, but the studio hated it, hence the film that purists tend to say doesn't exist. Rocky VI, aka "Rocky Balboa" was pretty solid. There are some legitimately touching moments, the strongest acting of which is between Stallone and Burt Young (Paulie), including a scene in the meat packing plant where stallone tears up and I find myself rubbing my eyes. And a great, great character insite from Paulie when he says "You can afford to look back, you were nice to her!"

The downside (if you can call it that) is that it's not a big fight movie. There's really only one fight, unless you want to count the half-round fight the opponent has with a nobody where he destroys that guy.

My worry was that the logic of fighting again wouldn't be there. He does plenty in the script to ensure that it makes logical sense, and the "big fight" is an exahabition where they're expected to just put on a good show, not go to war. Of course we know better.

I liked it a lot. And I contend that Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now" may be the greatest theme song ever written for a movie, edging out Starwars and Superman and Indy Jones themes.

The Good Shepard... It's funny but for a movie that is all Matt Damon, in that he's in every scene, there's remarkably little acting from him. Mind you, that's be design. The guy he plays is so locked-down and non-reactive that you want to hit him upside his head and say "Hey, hug your kid!", "Hey, bang your smoking hot wife!"

The acting is fantastic really from everyone, it's just that the most prominent part (Damon) doesn't do much emotionally because that just wouldn't be "him". Deniro does some very good direction, there are a ton of cameos, and the plot is interesting, starting at the Bay of Pigs finale and jumping back in time to Damon's character's drafting into the Yale's infamous secret Skull and Bones society and subsequently the CIA.

Great storytelling. I just wanted Damon to get the chance to stretch. But that would have been a betrayal of the character.

I rewatched two good movies: A Mighty Wind' date=' one of Christopher Guest's improvised movies about a folk singing reunion; and one of my all time favorite movies, [i']Big Trouble in Little China[/i]. Unfortunately for the second movie, the commentary track was pretty missable - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell shooting the breeze about random things, very few of which involved the movie at all. I wasn't expecting a deep discussion about the artistic relevance of the movie, but I would have preferred they actually talk *about* the film.

Still one of the best movies ever, just not the commentary track.

A Mighty Wind is a mighty funny movie alright, ESPECIALLY if you've had any connection with the folk music community (I have, and couldn't stop laughing)

The Prestige - the film I enjoyed the most this year, and one of the very few films that actually made me do a double-take at the end; did NOT see that comin'.

Eragon - too, too short; needed about another hour in there.

Superman Returns - good show.

Mystery Men - hadn't seen it in a while, forgot just how darn funny it was. :)

Gojira - the ORIGINAL Japanese film; thank you again PROFUSELY, Secret Santa. :D

Watched Silver Hawk last night, a Michelle Yeoh superhero flick. Very campy, but had a great four color Champions game feel to it. Not for someone looking for a serious Chinese Martial Arts film, great for someone looking for light superhero fun.

Saw the new Bond flick last week. First time I enjoyed a Bond movie that much in years.

Saw the BBC version of Hogfather. Good but not great, fun if you're a fan of Pratchett.

Did you like the part where they stopped talking? I thought my sound system had failed for a moment and then had to wonder if the commentary was still working. However' date=' there were a few nice discoveries in the commentary track -- but mostly early on before they two of them got bored and started simply yammering.[/quote']I must have missed when they stopped talking... maybe I dozed off? Only that bad of a commentary track could make a movie like BTiLC boring enough to fall asleep during.

Over the weekend I watched Cars and POTC II: Dead Man's Chest. I think the former is a fine Pixar film, while the latter is a decent sequel. The true test, however, will be seeing how POTC III: World's End wraps things up.