What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Major Dundee -- Sam Peckinpah's 136 minute epic Civil War-era western. It was... okay, but failed to really hold my attention. Interesting to see Slim Pickins, James Coburn, and Dumbledore (as a southern officer) in the film, however.

Major Dundee -- Sam Peckinpah's 136 minute epic Civil War-era western. It was... okay' date=' but failed to really hold my attention. Interesting to see Slim Pickins, James Coburn, and Dumbledore (as a southern officer) in the film, however.[/quote']

Supposedly "Major Dundee" suffered from massive studio interference and was NOT what Peckinpah wanted it to be !

Hamlet, a Royal Shakespeare Company movie version with David Tennant in the title role, and Patrick Stewart as king Claudius/the Ghost. I think the entire movie (something like three hours long, almost the whole play!) is online for you American types. It was very good -- Tennant is very intense and Stewart has an amazing presence. The who played queen Gertrude was also very good, but I don't know who she is.

The Sixth Season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Noteworthy for the musical episode and Darth Willow. Xander gets to save the day.

And the way to really threaten a geek ? Hold his Booba Fett figure in your hands and threaten to destroy it.

Just finished watching Firefly. Next up Serenity

Of course not. Any more than the patently ludicrous idea of a pair of galleons armed with a dozen 12 and 18 pounders a side could have possibly blown apart a three-decker mounting a broadside of 50 guns on each side, of 32, 18 and 12 pounders. Frankly Endeavour should have blown both the Dutchman and the Pearl into so much floating wreckage. But that would have hardly been a satisfying ending to the movie now would it?

So we suspend our disbelief and just enjoy the show.

And I just watched The Silencers the first Matt Helm movie on Hulu. Dean Martin, Stella Stevens (no relation), Daliah Lavi, Victor Buono, Arthur O'Connell, James Gregory, Cyd Charisse, and Beverly Adams as Helm's assistant Miss Lovey Kravezit.

Damn, but those 60s chicks were hot!

Of course not. Any more than the patently ludicrous idea of a pair of galleons armed with a dozen 12 and 18 pounders a side could have possibly blown apart a three-decker mounting a broadside of 50 guns on each side' date=' of 32, 18 and 12 pounders. Frankly [i']Endeavour[/i] should have blown both the Dutchman and the Pearl into so much floating wreckage. But that would have hardly been a satisfying ending to the movie now would it?

And I just watched The Silencers the first Matt Helm movie on Hulu. Dean Martin, Stella Stevens (no relation), Daliah Lavi, Victor Buono, Arthur O'Connell, James Gregory, Cyd Charisse, and Beverly Adams as Helm's assistant Miss Lovey Kravezit.

Matt Helm and Derik Flint, putting the super in superspies

CES

Of course not. Any more than the patently ludicrous idea of a pair of galleons armed with a dozen 12 and 18 pounders a side could have possibly blown apart a three-decker mounting a broadside of 50 guns on each side' date=' of 32, 18 and 12 pounders. Frankly [i']Endeavour[/i] should have blown both the Dutchman and the Pearl into so much floating wreckage. But that would have hardly been a satisfying ending to the movie now would it?

Here's a hot Silencer.

Just completed a long-overdue screening of the period drama The Madness of King George. the movie takes a few liberties with history:

Historically, George did not recover and his son did get to put him away and become Regent after all.

But it is all the better as a movie because of it. Nigel Hawthorne makes the King an intriguing character both before and after he "falls ill", which makes the depths of his condition all the more harrowing. And is there a more reliable actor anywhere than Ian Holm (who plays the King's new physician). Rupert Everett is a suitable loathsome Prince of Wales who gets more loathsome as the film progresses. And there is a running theme of George not wanting to acknowledge American independence -- making me think how traumatic losing America must have been to the British, who had previously thought themselves virtually invincible.