What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just finished the Kenneth Branagh film of Henry V. Probably wouldn't be marketable now' date=' sad to say ("Why should I see [i']Henry V[/i]? I didn't even see the first Henry!"), but their interpretation of Agincourt was appropriately messy, brutal and bloody. Among the things left out from the play was Henry's insistence that instead of ransoming French prisoners they were to be killed on the spot ("Bid each man kill his prisoner") -- an act of great cruelty in that day. I wonder whether Shakespeare, who was writing to magnify the glory of his royal patron, was not also inserting subtle touches of irony (such as the epilogue, about how Henry's grand heroism turned out to be all for nothing).

I disagree, Shakespeare is always marketable. And the killing of prisoners was almost certainly due to fears that the English were to be overwhelmed by the French and couldn't hold them anyway. Not the nicest of reasons, but Henry was worried more about survival.

Godzilla Raids Again' date=' [/i']wherein Gojira is referred to as a fire monster and as Anguirus, and fights another monster called an Anguilas. Gojira is skinny and makes sounds assigned only to Anguirus in later movies.

This is the American-International cut, right? The original Japanese version is better; sadly, it's just good enough to be "average", whereas the AI version can reach "So Bad It's Good" on several occasions. Like with the inserted footage from cheesy 50's American dinosaur movies and what looks like someone's high school science project of how the Earth was made.

This is the American-International cut' date=' right? The original Japanese version is better; sadly, it's just good enough to be "average", whereas the AI version can reach "So Bad It's Good" on several occasions. Like with the inserted footage from cheesy 50's American dinosaur movies and what looks like someone's high school science project of how the Earth was made.[/quote']

The original Japanese-language version is on the same disk. Dare I watch it?

The original Japanese-language version is on the same disk. Dare I watch it?

It's better than the God awful dub....but stilll this is among the least of the Godzilla films. They'd refine both the monster vs monster formula and the look of Angiras in later films...

Watched Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster in Japanese with English subtitles. I think that movie may have been the one that transformed Gojira from a seriously scary movie monster into a big, scaly Muppet. Enjoyable only because the 10-year-old kid in me is alive and well.

Watched Ghidorah' date=' the Three-Headed Monster[/i'] in Japanese with English subtitles. I think that movie may have been the one that transformed Gojira from a seriously scary movie monster into a big, scaly Muppet. Enjoyable only because the 10-year-old kid in me is alive and well.

I admit to liking it for being one of the very first Godzilla movies I ever saw on TV. And the slapstick fight between Godzilla and Rodan is pretty good.

Watched Ghidorah' date=' the Three-Headed Monster[/i'] in Japanese with English subtitles. I think that movie may have been the one that transformed Gojira from a seriously scary movie monster into a big, scaly Muppet. Enjoyable only because the 10-year-old kid in me is alive and well.

In fairness, this movie also boasts some great SPFX. The birth of King Ghidorah and his attack on Tokyo and the surrounding countryside is superb. The amount of devastation this creature creates in oh..about 70 seconds...really makes you think what it might be like if such a creature actually existed. The world would likely be in ruins within weeks. King Ghidorah is all kinds of great in this film...probably his best showing. Yeah...the tone of the film IS all over the place, but this is one of my favorite Godzilla films regardless.

Flash Gorden

The Wife had never seen it, and I felt that that needed to be changed. Wow, was it over the top cheesy. Of course, that's a good thing. Someone needs to the "things not do do when I'm an evil overlord" list and make bingo cards out of it for watching this movie. Either that or turn it into a drinking game. Or both.

Bingo!