What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Howl's Moving Castle yesterday. Not Miyazaki's finest' date=' but very good anyway.[/quote']

I didn't like it. It hammered the "war is bad" theme overly much, and diverged from the original novel far too much.

Never read the original, is it any good?

I felt the pacing was a bit off, and Howl's character development was a bit heavy-handed, but otherwise I have no big issues with it.

I liked the original. it is an interesting look at classic fairy tales and what it means to be the odd one out (our heroine is the the middle sister, and as we all know, middle sisters go no where in fairy tales). Howl is a visitor from Earth and lives in (I think) Wales. There's no war, but more with the witch who curses her.... Sophie! That's the name of the main character....

Anyway, "heavy-handed" sums up my issues with the movie. It is beautiful to watch and has some great scenes, but... he's done this theme before.

I liked the original. it is an interesting look at classic fairy tales and what it means to be the odd one out (our heroine is the the middle sister, and as we all know, middle sisters go no where in fairy tales). Howl is a visitor from Earth and lives in (I think) Wales. There's no war, but more with the witch who curses her.... Sophie! That's the name of the main character....

Anyway, "heavy-handed" sums up my issues with the movie. It is beautiful to watch and has some great scenes, but... he's done this theme before.

I seem to recall that there is a war, but it's very glossed-over and barely a blip on the heroine's radar.

But Diana Wynne Jones is recommended reading no matter who you are. I loved the bits in the book where they headed to Howl's home, and I loved watching Sophie piece together the mystery (which was a much bigger part of the plot in the book).

I seem to recall that there is a war, but it's very glossed-over and barely a blip on the heroine's radar.

But Diana Wynne Jones is recommended reading no matter who you are. I loved the bits in the book where they headed to Howl's home, and I loved watching Sophie piece together the mystery (which was a much bigger part of the plot in the book).

Josh and I finished watching Trigun, and we've watched the first disc of episodes of Amazing Stories. I loved that show SO much when I was a kid; glad to see the themes, at least, aged well.

What did you think? I have this' date=' but have yet to watch it.[/quote']

I liked it.

It played well with Mignola's stuff and kind of followed the movie fairly well. They actually used some of the things that Mignola did in his stories. I think they used his work in places to storyboard the show.

Interesting play in Japanese mythos.

Rented PotC: DMC last night and just got home from PotC: AWE. I feel sorry for all the people in the theater that left when the credits started.

I told the people next to me not to leave.

"Tears of the Black Tiger" which is a Thai Western set in the 1930s, and done in a very retro style. (Technicolor-style cinematography, obviously painted backgrounds--but the violence is more late Sixties.) It's...different. Parts I enjoyed very much, others were just odd.