What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Paranormal Activity

I heard it was scary. I wanted it to be scary. It wasn't. At best (the last two minutes) it almost got interesting. At worst, it played on the stupid fears about Ouija boards that might have been relevant during the 1970's. No, that wasn't even at worst. That was just annoying. At worst it was a poorly filmed relationship drama. Did anybody else find it amusing that the only time Micah did not grab the camera was when something truly horrifying was supposedly happening? Yeah, whatever.

Paranormal Activity

I heard it was scary. I wanted it to be scary. It wasn't. At best (the last two minutes) it almost got interesting. At worst, it played on the stupid fears about Ouija boards that might have been relevant during the 1970's. No, that wasn't even at worst. That was just annoying. At worst it was a poorly filmed relationship drama. Did anybody else find it amusing that the only time Micah did not grab the camera was when something truly horrifying was supposedly happening? Yeah, whatever.

I'd hazard a guess that films like that and BWP are most effective under two conditions:

1. If you see them in the theater, because then the experience tends to be more immersive.

2. If you see them before they get overhyped, because then you don't go in "braced".

The most effective parts of that film were the use of the "thumps". I can't imagine that element being nearly as effective on the small screen.

And yes, Micah was not just an idiot, but an incredibly annoying and insensitive one at that.

Started catching up on Haven season 2. So far, so good.

Also watched Sucker Punch. The surreal combat scenes were great, but not enough to pull the movie from the pit of depressing hopelessness. I prefer my "art" to be a bit more optimistic. Not necessarily sunshine and flowers, but not soul-crushingly depressive either.

king kong 1960s cartoon

I vaguely remember our efforts as kids to find lyrics for the title tune that included (mostly) fart jokes, with mixed results.

I watched episode II of season two for My Little Ponies: Friendship is magic; Two episodes of American Icon: The Hot Rod; And some show describing coming events on Turner Classic Movies.

Young Justice's latest episode was painful to those of Southern persuasion (Kind of like similar to how the two 'ghetto' transformers in Revenge of the Fallen must have seemed to African Americans) but at least Superboy had some character growth I HOPE. Angry scowly growly jerk clone boy was getting old.

In between now and my most recent post (April? Yeesh.) I've started edging into Blu-Ray, which is how I've recently had enough of the following film to last the rest of the year:

Blade Runner (5 disc (3 Blu-Ray/2 DVD) Complete Collector's Edition)

Disc 1: Blade Runner - The Final Cut (2007) - This is "the definative version" of the film, and includes three commentary tracks. (BD)

Disc 2: Dangerous Days - The Making of Blade Runner (DVD)

These first two are also available as the Blade Runner - The Final Cut 2-Disc Special Edition DVD.

Disc 3: Blade Runner - US Theatrical Cut (1982); Blade Runner - International Theatrical Cut (1982); Blade Runner - Director's Cut (1992) (BD)

Disc 4: Enhancement Archive (various goodies one expects to find as DVD extras, though usually not on their own disc) (DVD)

Disc 5: Blade Runner - Workprint (1981 ?) - This is a pre-release version of the film, that differs in several places from the other four versions of the film.

Terra Nova on Hulu. Reasonably well done, but probably forgettable in the overall scheme of things. Predicted most of the plot "twists" long before they happened.

Caught up on Alphas Season 1, Episodes 2-6. Gary is fast becoming one of my all-time favorite characters. Was disappointed that they put the two "pretty" characters together, even if only for an awkwardly interrupted moment. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.