What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Sucker Punch

So when will we see your version of Giant Samurai machine gun carrying robots ?

I mentioned elsewhere I saw Sucker Punch ! (and quite fancied Jena Malone). But also saw Source Code. Very good and recommended.

Dr Who. The Marriage of River Song. I worked pretty early on what he was going to do. But a lot of loose ends were tied up and again strong visuals (the train in Egypt for example). Interesting who they brought back. And oh the perils of Chess.

Enter the Dragon. The camera really loves Bruce Lee. And Kelly.

This version actually has the monk stating that Han was an ex Shaolin monk and traitor

The Booth at the End - I have a love/hate opinion of this show. On one hand, I think the low-budget method of telling the story was really cool. On the other, it was dark and dreary storytelling at its worst. The apparent heroes all succumb to bad guys or become bad guys and the bad guys all become heroes. There was also enough preaching about how the people making the bargains make their own choices. It was almost like a slam on free will.

I would like to see something like that used as a horror backdrop. The "guardian" character had a lot of potential for that. It was ruined by the resolution of the plot thread, but man did that show come close. There was a lot of that. The elderly lady could have fulfilled her end of the bargain, only to find out that her husband did not have Alzheimer's like she thought he did. Would that mean that the bargain was fulfilled or would it mean that she committed a truly evil and vile act for nothing? A more excellent traditional horror ending could not be had. Sadly, the show once again dropped the ball. Even the hospice worker ending could have been more "horrific" (in the sense that it was truly horror). What if by fulfilling her end of the bargain, she exposed somebody that had remained hidden for a long time and they both died as a result? A much more interesting ending than the hogwash that they threw at us.

Oh well. It was interesting just to see the format and was worth watching once. If you are a fan of subtle dramas, this will probably tickle your fancy. If you need big-budget f/x this will not sate you.

"The Pirate Movie"--a musical from the early '80s that makes "Xanadu" look really good.

"Batman: Gotham Knight"--interesting shorts done in a variety of styles.

"Justice League Unlimited" episodes 1-3. Decent stuff from Bruce Timm and Co.

Doctor Who season finale--It tied things up well, though it was a bit predictable.

"Mission: Impossible" pilot episode. My memories of M:I are of the revival series in the late '80s, so the originals are totally new to me. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

JoeG

Game 5 of the American League Division Series. Tigers beat Yanks in New York 3-2 to move on and face the defensing AL champions' date=' Texas.[/quote']

Now that the Yankees have been eliminated from contention, all is right with the world.