What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

About 12 minutes of the pilot episode of "Supertrain" on Youtube, about a "nuclear-powered steam train" that travels from New York to Los Angeles in 36 hours. It's basically "Love Boat" on rails, but without the quality. I remember being chuffed about it when it premiered in 1979, but now I find it pretty much unwatchable.

"Maverick", the movie with Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson, on Netflix streaming. Just a fun movie.

"Once Upon a Time" pilot on ABC. This one will need to get much better to keep me.

"Mission: Impossible" pilot on Netflix. My only exposure to "M:I" was the '80s/'90s revival, so this was a new and unexpected pleasure.

JoeG

Ra-One, a Diwali film for the whole family. An Indian film with large parts in London. Base storyline: Dweebish video game developer tries to reconnect with his eyerolling son by creating the ultimate undefeatable villain for his next game, the titular Ra-One. (Connected in story to the demonic figure Ravaan.) However, a rogue AI and some virtual reality technobabble later, Ra-One escapes into the real world, determined to kill his archnemesis "Lucifer" (the kid's screen name.) Fortunately, there is a hero in the game too, G-One (sounds like "life" in Tamil.)

It's an uneasy blend of Disney live-action comedy and action/horror, with some pure Bollywood moments (everybody dance!) Enjoyable but ultimately not a great film. I think I was the only non-Indian-descended person in the theater.

I watched The Shining again last night. Still my favorite horror movie of all time. Jack's slow descent into madness is great, and the poor kid's random encounters with ghosts were freaky. Shelley Duvall's trying to deal with everything makes me feel bad for her. She ends up being stronger and more resourceful than she appears at first glance.

I love how the old black cook also has the shining and comes to save the day, but gets an ax in his chest before he even knows what's really going on. Talk about smashing expectations of the viewer! Kubrick handled it amazingly well. Scatman Crothers was very likable and I always want him to succeed, even though I know what's coming.

The scenes where Jack talks to the bartender and the previous caretaker are also really creepy. And the final shot of the 1921 photo is a perfect ending.