What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The first season of Scooby Doo which is still fun although it could do without the laugh track. And in the first 8 episodes or so most of what is in the title sequence appears in the toon with one exception. The ghost with the bookcase is more solid in the cartoon it appears in and there is an added hostage in the toon.

Seventies British mystery goodness: an adaptation of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories starring Kenneth More as a Catholic priest with a great love of puzzles and a knack for finding explanations for the seemingly impossible. The first episode was part of the grand old tradition of the prototypical English rural village being a hive of vice and depravity. It follows a nobleman with the belief that he is entitled to sex with all the women in the village, married or no, who gets killed in a seemingly impossible way. One of the guest stars was William Russel, best known for his role as Ian in the first two seasons of Doctor Who.

Chesterton had a considerable impact on the mystery genre. One of the many things it influences if Harry Kemelman's Rabbi Small novels which were a personal favorite of my mother.

Dracula - Bela Lugosi version. I've never seen this movie before. It's really good.

If you can track it down find the spanish version he made at the same time(english during the day/spanish at night on the same sets) it's a little different and also very good.

The Thing From Another World. The 1951 original, not the 80's remake or the now showing new one. Classic horror,well worth seeing. I'll probably watch the Carpenter version tomorrow (I can get that streaming, had to wait for the disk for the classic)

The Thing From Another World. The 1951 original' date=' not the 80's remake or the now showing new one. Classic horror,well worth seeing. I'll probably watch the Carpenter version tomorrow (I can get that streaming, had to wait for the disk for the classic)[/quote']

I own that on DVD, and I think it's amazing; vastly superior to the remake.

Right now I'm watching Drag Me To Hell; it's okay, but no one's taken a step towards New Jersey yet.

Grimm

Crime Drama meets Once Upon a Time with good results.

The Great Race

Cartoonish Blake Edwards movie about an automobile race from New York to Paris. Priceless slapstick with hero Tony "Great Leslie" Curtis against villain (boo-hiss) Jack "I am Professor FATE!" Lemmon and suffragette Natalie "Votes for Women!" Wood (Rawr!)

I own that on DVD' date=' and I think it's amazing; vastly superior to the remake.[/quote']

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

OK, watched the remake last night.

Besides the title, the movies were completely different. OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but I'm finding it hard to compare them. The original has a lot more character development and interaction. I feel that I get to know them, and care what happens. In the remake, it's just "I wonder who gets killed next" Even the type of horror is different: "Something out there is trying to kill us" vs. "One of us is the monster" The original (like most classic horror/sci-fi) has a message and a morale. The remake just tells us that if you see a Norwegian shooting at a dog from a helicopter, grab the flamethrower first and ask questions later.

I think modern horror relies more on special effects to shock and startle viewers. Classic horror made guys in cheesy rubber suits scare the pants off of us just using light and cinamatography. Watching both back-to-back I thought of a similarity to Alien and Aliens. Superficially both seem to be the same kind of movie, but in reality one is a suspense/horror and the other an action/adventure movie. If I had to choose which one I liked better, I'd lean towards the original. It's almost at the comparing apple to oranges level, I just happen to prefer apples.

"Monster House"--wasn't bad, and the mo-cap didn't creep me out.

"Top Chef Texas"--first episode looks interesting.

"Flash Gordon"--Okay, it's probably been somewhere between 10 and 20 years since I saw this one last (I had seen it at the movies with my cousin when it was released). The plot and acting is not really all that great. And the soundtrack's plenty of cheese from Queen. But this time, I found myself really examining the set design and costuming. I'm a fan of Art Deco, so I liked the various details that reinforced the look. It looked very good in an HD stream over Netflix.

More of season 2 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I'm slowly working my way through the various Trek series again, and getting slowly into DS9 as well (the only series that I've not seen all of the episodes at least once). At some point, I'll do the same with the Stargate franchise.

JoeG

Started watching Supernatural from the beginning. Somehow this slipped under my radar. I'm up to s4 now, and in general I approve. Been able to second guess the monster of the week with round a 40% hit rate, got annoyed at the mispronunciation of Samhain in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester" (They exorcise demons. Proper pronunciation should be pretty important.). but I'm still watching. Glad to see the actor who plays Dean get hisself a decent role... I liked him in Dark Angel.