What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I've been watching a DVD collection of the first season of Stargate SG-1. I freely admit, I chose it from the library because I'd read the Stargate:Equestria fanfic and found it well done. But the show... yeesh. Y'know, my standards for SF aren't all that high. I enjoy space opera by Poul Anderson and Andre Norton. Heck, I like Star Wars. But the "science" on this show is basically nonexistent save for a few occasions (they did have Colonel O'Neill know what a black hole's accretion disk was, which was a nice touch of continuity, given that he was once in training for NASA -- but then he can't explain what a black hole is to Teal'c).

And they seem to make some glaring errors in how the team acts, given that these guys are supposed to be (mostly) military. Like allowing members of the team to wander off by themselves when they're in alien and hostile territory, or taking an elderly civilian along on a mission to a dangerous environment staged by a top-secret project she shouldn't even have been told about, or staging a rescue mission for Teal'c's son and wife and then leaving them behind in their enemy's home territory after they rescue them.

It just... something seems wrong when a man with no real military experience can look at their actions and ask, "Is this really what they would be doing under these circumstances?"

I've been watching a DVD collection of the first season of Stargate SG-1. I freely admit' date=' I chose it from the library because I'd read the [i']Stargate:Equestria[/i] fanfic and found it well done. But the show... yeesh. Y'know, my standards for SF aren't all that high. I enjoy space opera by Poul Anderson and Andre Norton. Heck, I like Star Wars. But the "science" on this show is basically nonexistent save for a few occasions (they did have Colonel O'Neill know what a black hole's accretion disk was, which was a nice touch of continuity, given that he was once in training for NASA -- but then he can't explain what a black hole is to Teal'c).

And they seem to make some glaring errors in how the team acts, given that these guys are supposed to be (mostly) military. Like allowing members of the team to wander off by themselves when they're in alien and hostile territory, or taking an elderly civilian along on a mission to a dangerous environment staged by a top-secret project she shouldn't even have been told about, or staging a rescue mission for Teal'c's son and wife and then leaving them behind in their enemy's home territory after they rescue them.

It just... something seems wrong when a man with no real military experience can look at their actions and ask, "Is this really what they would be doing under these circumstances?"

If it is the episode I am thinking of with the floating symbols and the old guy trapped in the ruins, the old lady who went with them built the stargate in the first place. What you should be asking yourself is how did the old guy survive in the ruins.

CES

If it is the episode I am thinking of with the floating symbols and the old guy trapped in the ruins, the old lady who went with them built the stargate in the first place. What you should be asking yourself is how did the old guy survive in the ruins.

CES

Well, actually, she would be the daughter of the archaeologist who found the Stargate on the Giza plateau back in the Twenties in the movie. She is the initial contact for Daniel Jackson, and is the one who brings him into the project. In SG-1 continuity, she was also part of a team that attempted to get the Stargate to work back in 1945, as shown in the episode, "The Torment of Tantalus". The Stargates were created by the Ancients.

Season 1 of SG-1 was absolutely horrid. I remember when it arrived in syndication (after running on Showtime), and being extremely underwhelmed with the entire production. It took me several years before I'd watch an episode, and it had improved immensely. I've tried to re-watch the season 1 episodes on Netflix, but I'm stuck somewhere around the "Broca Divide". I just can't seem to plow through it. The series gets better in later seasons, though there's still a bit of hand-waving with the military structure and science.

JoeG

MLP Season 2' date=' Episode 9 -- [i']Sweet and Elite[/i]. While the outcome was never in doubt (it's a kids show after all) it sure was hilarious getting there.

Some people I know of are impressed that they bypassed the usual Aesop and punishment about lying by showing Rarity's friends being supportive of her efforts to make some business contacts. They're of the opinion that it was a bold move for s kid's cartoon.

CES

Yeah, that's a rather good question too.

Well, actually, she would be the daughter of the archaeologist who found the Stargate on the Giza plateau back in the Twenties in the movie. She is the initial contact for Daniel Jackson, and is the one who brings him into the project. In SG-1 continuity, she was also part of a team that attempted to get the Stargate to work back in 1945, as shown in the episode, "The Torment of Tantalus". The Stargates were created by the Ancients.

Season 1 of SG-1 was absolutely horrid. I remember when it arrived in syndication (after running on Showtime), and being extremely underwhelmed with the entire production. It took me several years before I'd watch an episode, and it had improved immensely. I've tried to re-watch the season 1 episodes on Netflix, but I'm stuck somewhere around the "Broca Divide". I just can't seem to plow through it. The series gets better in later seasons, though there's still a bit of hand-waving with the military structure and science.

JoeG

Thanks for letting me know that the show got better with later seasons. The local library has seasons 1-4*, and I may watch the later ones.

* -- Not to mention the entire run of Dark Shadows, including the original series, the reunion show, the TV movie, and the 90's series. It takes up a whole shelf. One of our librarians must be one heck of a Barnabas Collins fan.

I haven't been able to watch much of anything. Xbox Live just upgraded their feature set and interface' date=' and I can't make hide nor hair of it, much less get access to the videos I want.[/quote']

you have to download the video apps from the app store, then tab over to the video tab to access stuff. It is a little tricky to figure out at first.

Some people I know of are impressed that they bypassed the usual Aesop and punishment about lying by showing Rarity's friends being supportive of her efforts to make some business contacts. They're of the opinion that it was a bold move for s kid's cartoon.

I also note that the Aesop was more about being who you are and being willing to recognize (and be proud) of your roots and friends, even if it means a loss of acceptance among new 'friends'. Also very bold for a kid's cartoon.

That and Rarity ended up punishing herself with her lying by running herself ragged.

I also note that the Aesop was more about being who you are and being willing to recognize (and be proud) of your roots and friends, even if it means a loss of acceptance among new 'friends'. Also very bold for a kid's cartoon.

That and Rarity ended up punishing herself with her lying by running herself ragged.

I think that society has, for the most part, evolved in a good direction when a "little Girls'" program like MLP can be good enough to spark serious discussion without any self-conscious humor.

I'm planning to watch the Eureka episode where everybody is animated like Christmas characters in a Special. I Tivoed it and am just waiting for my night-time meds to kick in so I can settle into my easy chair and be amused. ;)

MLP Season 2' date=' Episode 9 -- [i']Sweet and Elite[/i]. While the outcome was never in doubt (it's a kids show after all) it sure was hilarious getting there.

I find myself wondering why the Canterlot upper crust don't know who Rarity is. I mean she did shake cake all over Prince Bluebood, and get a medal in front of a large audience for helping to defeat Discord.

It just... something seems wrong when a man with no real military experience can look at their actions and ask' date=' "Is this really what they would be doing under these circumstances?"[/quote']

Doing a bit of thinking, if it is strange that they let this civilian into a secret military base -- why the heck do they let Daniel Jackson on military missions? Would make more sense i suppose to have the military gather the intel and take it back and let Daniel interpret it on base.

Thoughts?

Doing a bit of thinking, if it is strange that they let this civilian into a secret military base -- why the heck do they let Daniel Jackson on military missions? Would make more sense i suppose to have the military gather the intel and take it back and let Daniel interpret it on base.

Thoughts?

Just one: Daniel interpreting the intel on base makes for dull TV (at least where that character is concerned.)

I find myself wondering why the Canterlot upper crust don't know who Rarity is. I mean she did shake cake all over Prince Bluebood' date=' and get a medal in front of a large audience for helping to defeat Discord.[/quote']

Oh, please, that was months ago! You can't expect the Important Ponies of Canterlot to remember every little thing!

Thoughts?

The initial reasoning in the movie which this was based on was they needed an interpreter/expert in languages to be able to go through the star gate, help the team with the stargate symbols, and help them come home.

In the series, he helps decipher languages on site in emergencies

CES