What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Saw Sicko on Sunday. Pretty good. Michael Moore manages to go for almost the whole movie without putting on a gigantic Barnum and Bailey hat and when he does it falls flat. Still didn't detract from the movie much for me.

I am brand new to the Non-Gaming Discussion forum and so I wonder if there has ever been a 'Michael Moore' thread?:help:

Have you also seen MM's other movies/documentarys?:)

I am brand new to the Non-Gaming Discussion forum and so I wonder if there has ever been a 'Michael Moore' thread?:help:

Have you also seen MM's other movies/documentarys?:)

I've seen most of his work and made my students study most of those.

While entertaining and able to interact with an audience on a deeply emotional level at times, I wouldn't exactly call his docos 100 accurate, fact-wise. He definitely presents an agenda.

And welcome to the place - it's kind of friendly if you like that sort of thing :D

And to contribute to the thread in the manner in which it was intended...

I have seen the following films recently (forgive me if I have mentioned any of these):

Die Hard 4

Hairspray

Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix

The Home Song Stories - an Australian bio-pic about a nightclub singer from Hong Kong who has trouble adjusting to Australian suburban life in the 1970's, with harrowing results for her children. Very good.

I have viewed the following DVDs or videos (some due to the job):

Batman and Robin

Big Bully

Dazed and Confused

Equilibrium

I intend to see:

Stardust

Superbad

The Bourne Ultimatum

Once

Black Sheep

Dr Plonk

December Boys

Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten

The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising

Daywatch

Shoot 'Em Up

...probably more :)

Liked 3:10 to Yuma.

Been watching lots of DVDs...

Seasons 1 & 2 of "Rome", which was very cool.

Season 1 of "Carnivale", which I'm a couple episodes short of finishing.

Seasons 1, 2, and 3 of "Deadwood". I hate that they didn't continue this--It just feels so incomplete leaving it there. Damn HBO. Got their head up their Sopranos.

Next up is Season 2 of Carnivale, then I'll marathon Season 1 of Heroes before the show restarts :)

Well, I'm hoping that I can convince you all to watch the Veronica Mars series on DVD and get this thing renewed somehow. If you love noir, if you love creepy stories that don't initially seem that creepy, this show is fantastic.

If you haven't watched this show, you should have. CW cancelled it despite critical acclaim and the fact that it was probably the best show on TV for three years.

Okay. I'm begging. Do it anyway.

Akihabara@Deep, a TV show set in Akihabara about a group of otaku that are introduced by an online counselor that offers advice through a website. They end up coming into conflict with an otaku that betrayed his mentor and cashed in, becoming a wealthy and corrupt executive in a tech firm. There are some amusing references to Densha Otoko. It's a bit low budget, but I ended up liking it overall. There are a lot of scenes in maid cafes. ^_^

Last seven days:

Blazing Saddles (twice)

Season finale of The 4400

A Real Sex "best of" on HBO that proves that, yes, too much nudity can boring

Eureka

A couple of Astros Games, including the 18-1 thrashing of the Cards

A few other partial shows on TV

Finally got around to watching The Warriors, as well as My Cousin Vinny.

I enjoyed the former immensely, and found the latter an amusing diversion.

Last weekend, at my sister's, we watched Hot Fuzz (funny stuff!), and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Well. I can see why that's a classic.

Oh, have been a busy watching pumpkin... have seen:

Bourne Ultimatum - Great action flick but still hate the overuse of handheld stuff.

Superbad - Saw it with a friend who said it echoed his teenaged years, sometimes bittersweetly. He loved it. I liked it. Good 'guy' flick.

Stardust - This was GREAT and I highly recommend it.

And at school:

Bits of Happy Gilmore and Kung Pow.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see....

Planet Terror

The Blade

Ong-Bak

The Protector

Porco Rosso

Planet Terror was messy, gross, and hilarious grindhouse fun.

The Blade was on DVD, which is a first for me, all previous viewings had been via VHS. It is a fantastic remake of One-Armed Swordsmen, and worth finding.

Ong-Bak was impressive for Tony Jaa's physical skills and watchable. The Protector, however, is laughably bad due to several utterly nonsensical sequences. However, Tony Jaa's attack up the inside of the hotel (in one 6-minute take) and his fights in the burning temple almost make up for it.

Porco Rosso is a "must see" for anyone wanting to run a Pulp-era game involving airplanes. Especially sea-planes.

The Magnificent Seven. Apparently we're on a Western kick. I preferred the original; this seemed a lot longer than it was, whereas the other seemed shorter, somehow.

Shut Up and Sing. Odd, unless the point was to introduce the Dixie Chicks to an audience more receptive of their offhand remark in-concert back in 2003. It may have worked on that front; I'm contemplating picking up some of their music.

TV: (last month)

House, South Park, Eureka, The 4400, baseball playoffa, some pro football, The Devil's Rejects (movie), Fantastic Four (movie, parts), X3 (movie. parts), Die Hars (movie, parts)

DVDs: (last month)

Blazing Saddles

Once Upon A Time In The West

MST3K Volume 2: Eing of Terror, Indestructible Man, Tormented and THE HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND.

South Park, parts of S1, S2 and S10

South Park: The Movie (mainly the musical bits)

Voyage to the Pregistoric Planet

Blackadder II and III

'

VHS:

Galaxy Quest