What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

When I get to watch Bogart, I plan to watch his classic films in order. One box set has these films:

Casablanca

The Big Sleep

Key Largo

The Maltese Falcon

To Have and Have Not

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

so I need to individually buy these films:

High Sierra

Dark Passage

The African Queen

I've seen The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre and the African Queen. The last is my favorite, and was loosely inspired by actual events in the African theater during WW1 (yes there was fighting in Africa between Germany, Great Britain and France in the 1st World War). One of these days I really need to see Casablanca.

When you watch The Maltese Falcon you might want to also find The Black Bird, a 1970s comedy sequel with George Segal as Sam Spade's (Bogart's character) son. Not a great movie (or even a really good one) but I found it amusing.

Watched Drive Angry. Extreme violence, some sex and nudity. William Fitchner stole the movie as the Accountant.

CES

My wife and I watched that a few months back. Typical of most of Cage's recent action flicks, it is fun as long as you don't think about it too deeply. :)

I've seen The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre and the African Queen. The last is my favorite, and was loosely inspired by actual events in the African theater during WW1 (yes there was fighting in Africa between Germany, Great Britain and France in the 1st World War). One of these days I really need to see Casablanca.

When you watch The Maltese Falcon you might want to also find The Black Bird, a 1970s comedy sequel with George Segal as Sam Spade's (Bogart's character) son. Not a great movie (or even a really good one) but I found it amusing.

Cool, thanks for the info. You should watch Casablanca, really is a good film. :)

And tried looking at some Aussie websites that sell DVDs (that i know) and nope of them have The Black Bird. :(

Yesterday-Monday was How Green Was My Valley

Tuesday: A Place In The Sun

Wednesday: Bewitched.

Thursday: My Best Friend's Wedding' date=' Easy A[/quote']

Friday: The Princess Bride -- first time I have seen this all the way through. Enjoyed it.

Saturday: Secretary (James Spader, Maggie Gyllenhaal)

Sunday: The Muppets Take Manhattan

IRT: Deadliest Roads: Andes. They have to negotiate the "Death Road" which is barely wide enough for their trucks, has no guard rails and the edge of the road is sometimes a maximum of a foot away from the wheels and sometimes the edge of the wheel is over the edge.

And in this ep, Lisa and GW are on this salt flat with only their GPS for guidance since the lithium in the salt makes compasses useless. To make matters worse, the sunlight on the salt makes the horizon almost invisible. And yup, they wind up off course and with a salt-wrecked truck.

I'd highly recommend doing what I did: wait until I could see it playing in a revival theater. It's really worth seeing for the first time on the big screen.

I agree, not for the reasons most people use today. Casablanca is best seen with no distractions. Distractions like the kids running around being kids or your next door neighbor's garage band choosing that particular time to rehearse.

Many of the people involved with making Casablanca, from director Michal Curtiz to actors Peter Lorre and Conrad Viedt, were refugees from the Nazis.

Tomb of the Cybermen- Dr Who Patrick Troughton

The Three Doctors - Dr Who Jon Pertwee, Dr Who Patrick Troughton and Dr Who William Hartnell

Part of the new Revisitations set with another one I am watching at the moment. Two very good stories with the second one being Hartnell's last appearance. It also gave the Brigadier his first glimpse inside the TARDIS and the revalation to him that the Doctor was much more than he appeared. It also marked the end of the Doctor's exile on Earth.

Tomb of the Cybermen holds up surprisingly well. The treatment of the character of Toberman might make some uncomfortable in these times, but otherwise it's a very tense and effective story. I love the mechanical voices they used for the Cybermen as opposed to the basso profundo of the Davison/Colin Baker period. It made the Cybermen horrifically alien.

MLP: FIM

Once Upon a Time

Last week's episode

Your Highness

A Parody of fantasy wherein a prince (the slacker brother of a "Prince Charming" type) steps out from under his brother's shadow and becomes a hero in his own right. Of course, it's a comedy, so some purists may dislike some of the gags. :eg:

Part of the DVD of 1992's Freddie Mercury tribute concert in London. Mercury, who was the flamboyant lead singer and creative force behind Queen, had died late in the previous year from complications of HIV. His surviving bandmates helped organize a benefit concert for AIDS/HIV research and treatment in his memory.

There are many great moments in the concert, in which much of the pop/rock fraternity of the day participated. Highlights were George Michael and a gospel choir singing "Somebody to Love", one of Queen's best songs, and Elton John singing (but not playing keyboard on) "The Show Must Go On", one of the last songs Freddie Mercury wrote before his death.

There was also a powerful moment when Brian May, on keyboard as opposed to his usual and iconic guitar, performed the especially apt "Too Much Love Will Kill You".

It's been nearly twenty years, but the concert still holds up.