What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Waste of time and film then. They didn't improve anything or change anything.

Which is why I skipped it. Sort of like that remake of Psycho a few years back that was a shot-by-shot adaption. The only difference was color.

Game of Thrones, Season 1 on DVD

According to Amazon.com season 1 hasn't been released on DVD yet, but I have a friend who worked in Iraq for several months and he picked up a boot leg copy from a local vendor.

I wished they had toned down the nudity and sex. I can't remember the last time I saw an R-rated movie with as much sex and nudity. HBO seems to really enjoy being in your face about the fact that they don't have to worry about broadcast TV standards.

In any case, the story was excellent and really sucked me in. I stayed up late and devoured all 10 episodes in two nights. It makes me want to read the books, but I'm resisting since G.R.R. Martin has two more books to write and by the time he finishes them I'll have to reread everything to remember who all the characters were and what was going on.

Which is why I skipped it. Sort of like that remake of Psycho a few years back that was a shot-by-shot adaption. The only difference was color.

Well, and that instead of a slender and seemingly unthreatening Anthony Perkins it had a hulking, alcohol-bloated Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates.

I think Gurps Riverworld was based on the same books as the TV show. It was one of the very early supplements so not easy to find these days.

While a huge fan of Riverworld (PJF being one of my favorite writers), and the GURPS supplement, the current TV show isn't based on that material....

It would however make for an incredible Pulp atmosphere Supernatural kind of game. The folks running the show are the guys that did the Paranormal movies, it's got a nice sort of take on the "Discovered Footage" meets Reality Show kinda angle, with Spielberg money behind it and a pacing and level of creepiness I haven't seen since, oh Hitchcock.

Shame the Riverworld TV show never took off on SyFy, but, Expensive, Actors Dying off in the middle of production, and stinktastic ratings because they dumbed it down for the LCD crowd......

~Rex

Green Hornet. While I was on my second martini while watching, I was sipping them slowly enough to only be slightly drunk. Should have pounded them both back while hitting play. Campy, irritating characters, in-your-face bad effects, the list of problems go on. I knew it was bad going in (hence the liberal application of gin) but did not expect suckage of this magnitude.

Green Hornet. While I was on my second martini while watching' date=' I was sipping them slowly enough to only be slightly drunk. Should have pounded them both back while hitting play. Campy, irritating characters, in-your-face bad effects, the list of problems go on. I knew it was bad going in (hence the liberal application of gin) but did not expect suckage of this magnitude.[/quote']

you men the movie or the tv series?

super friends rub 3 times for disaster

The Road

Dark, bleak film, literally and figuratively. I wasn't put off by the depressing aspect so much (hell, Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorite movies), but I was put off by the monotony. Very few ups and downs, even at the end. However, that may have been intentional, to draw the viewer in and give them a sense of the weary monotony of the character's lives.

Battleship Potemkin, the masterpiece of Soviet propagandist Sergei Eisenstein. A silent film made to make the twentieth anniversary of a failed revolt in Russia in 1905, it's brilliant and bombastic at the same time. Eisenstein did things with the camera and with film editing that were truly innovative in their day. He doesn't do nearly as well with actors, though, and the script is distinctly unsubtle in its message.

Weirdly enough Eisenstein would have to edit some of his films at the last minute to mark changes in Soviet government and had his final film Ivan the Terrible Part Three literally destroyed before completion under orders of the Stalin regime. Yes, they actually burned the negatives to insure the film would never see the light of day.

The Road

Dark, bleak film, literally and figuratively. I wasn't put off by the depressing aspect so much (hell, Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorite movies), but I was put off by the monotony. Very few ups and downs, even at the end. However, that may have been intentional, to draw the viewer in and give them a sense of the weary monotony of the character's lives.

That is so. The book is (very) slightly different, but maintains the dullness of the post-apoc wasteland. The Road Warrior this isn't. That said, the book and movie are excellent ... although the movie is not one I'd want to watch again (and again.) I do own the book, mostly because I have a small collection of post-apoc novels.

That is so. The book is (very) slightly different' date=' but maintains the dullness of the post-apoc wasteland. [i']The Road Warrior[/i] this isn't. That said, the book and movie are excellent ... although the movie is not one I'd want to watch again (and again.) I do own the book, mostly because I have a small collection of post-apoc novels.

Agreed. It was generally well done (the kid is very good) but I won't be watching it again.

New week, new films:

Monday: Bound

Tuesday: The Gods Must Be Crazy 2

Wednesday: The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising, half of Kubrick's Odyssey, The Shining (part)

Thursday: The Shining (finished)

Friday: Eragon

Saturday: The Third Man, just started watching 49th Parallel.

Hope to watch In Which We Serve and Brief Encounter tomorrow (both directed by David Lean)