What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Based on some posts here, I watched all the episodes from "The River" that are currently on Hulu (S1, Ep 1-4). I like it. Very seldom does a show creep me out, but the creative staff are doing a helluva job giving it their best go. The second episode has thus far been the only one to make my hackles rise, but the others were definitely interesting. I liked the last one a lot more than I thought I would.

So are we just going to see random members of the crew, cursed due to their affiliation with Magic Man, pop up every other episode? So far the pilot and the Better Man episodes have each featured a former crewmate.

There is magic out there.

okay: last Sunday: Patriot Games

This week:

Monday: In Which We Serve

Tuesday: Brief Encounter

Wednesday: Highlander (hoping to get Highlander 2 shortly)

Thursday: The Day Will Dawn

Friday: Dragonheart

-------------------

Feb movies:

Con Air, Dirty Dancing, Grease, Sleepless in Seattle, Jerry Maguire, An Affair To Remember, The Proposal, Easy Rider, Heaven Knows Mr Allison, Karate Kid 1 & 2 & 3, The Rock, The Muppet Movie, Stand By Me, Saturday Night Fever, The Great Muppet Caper, How Green Was My Valley, A Place In The Sun, Bewitched, My Best Friend's Wedding, Easy A, The Princess Bride, Secretary, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Bound, The Gods Must Be Crazy 2, The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising, The Shining, Eragon, The Third Man, Patriot Games, In Which We Serve, Brief Encounter, Highlander

Total: 35

Last night's movie: Cowboys & Aliens. I really enjoyed it - a romp, for sure, but a nicely done one. Craig and Ford worked for me. Watched it twice, as Number One Son missed the first run.

Previous night's movie: Casablanca. Thank you TCM, it's been too long - my copy is on VHS and I haven't had a VCR for 6 years.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I really wanted to like this movie. In terms of the literary tools used to tell the story, I think it was fairly competent and definitely engaging. What turned me off is the whole "humans are bad" element to the story. It might be my own perception, but it seems like way too many movies are focused on the idea that humans are EVIL. Not flawed or mistake-prone or even just plain stupid but outright EVIL. This movie falls well into that trap, with James Franco's character and immediate associations being the only humans that are portrayed with anything close to decency. Juxtaposed with this is the Apes, especially Caesar, showing compassion and restraint whenever possible. There was the scene with the ape handler and the one with the helicopter, but in both of those instances, there was a very heavy handed "those people had it coming" message. And in the case of the helicopter, they used the evil looking ape for that.

Again, it is probably just my perception of things. I won't say that it spoiled the movie for me, but it did leave a fairly unpleasant aftertaste on my brain. Sort of like aspartame, but for the mind.

And how many fingers does Andy Serkis have to pretend to bite off before it becomes a type casting thing? :)

okay: last Sunday: Patriot Games

This week:

Wednesday: Highlander (hoping to get Highlander 2 shortly)

Bazza, dear heart you are the victim of a practical joke. There is no Highlander 2.

Just finished Boardwalk Empire Season 1. I was expecting the corruption of Atlantic City but was pleasantly surprised to see the beginnings of the Chicago and New York mobs. Rothstein is someone you don't hear much about but should. Nice to see Steve in a leading role and relishing it.

bunraku

A film that reminded me a lot of Bunraku is The Butcher, the Chef, and the Swordsman. It is a quirky and surreal tale of an enchanted meat cleaver told through thee interconnected stories. While very, very odd, I found it a lot of fun.

Let's see... Lorax movie

Was pretty good.

Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance... it had its moments, but I preferred the first one.

Young Justice (I dvred it) and I loved it.

By the power of Netflix, I also saw some movies I missed of the 'touchy feely' variety.

Carolina was a chick flick about a dysfunctional family unit of ladies (and one guy) with some romance thrown in, but I liked it.

"Today's Special" was heart warming, and starred one of the 'reporters' from the Daily Show. I really enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.

"Dutch" had Ed O'Neil... some good stuff here, more of a 'boy and guy dating his mom have to deal with each other on a road trip' movie than anything else. It went back and forth from slap stick to learning experience and was a bit jarring in that, but otherwise not bad. I wouldn't pay full price for it mind you.

Atomic Cafe on Netflix. A montage of bomb test footage, news footage and civil defense films from the 40s, 50s, 60s and early 70s. Alternatingly terrifying and hilarious. A film voiceover for an old fallout shelter video claiming that "Tranquilizers can be used to deal with the stress and monotony of living in a shelter...they are non-narcotic and not habit-forming." A military officer prepping troops for a nuke test exercise bizarrely states that, aside from the destructive power, a "nuclear explosion is one of the most beautiful sights you can witness".