What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

A military officer prepping troops for a nuke test exercise bizarrely states that' date=' aside from the destructive power, a "nuclear explosion is one of the most beautiful sights you can witness".[/quote']

I've seen 2000-pounders detonate from ~3 miles away (certainly not more than five or six miles). There is a certain terrible beauty to large violent forces being released all at once, some large portion of which I believe consists of being glad you're close enough to appreciate the difference between "spectator" and "participant", without having become the latter. I'm gonna have to re-add that one to my DVD library. I used to have tons of documentaries just for the different nuances of unselfconscious irony and out-dated assumptions.

I picked up a collection of cheap movies, action adventure/Fantasy.

Midnight Chronicles was a VERY pleasant surprise. RPG based movie, MUCH better written/acted than the others I have seen in the collection. OTOH, those include "The Beastmaster", "Beowolf (Chtistopher Lambert), "Dragonquest", and "Warriors of Virtue: The Return to Tao". I haven't watched "Merlin and the war of the dragons" yet, but...

I need to see if there is more of "Midnight Chronicles" out there...

A number of animated movies, including:

The Illusionist, Memories, and Whisper of the Heart.

The Northwest Film Study Center here in Portland is having a Studio Ghibli festival this coming May. Hopefully I'll have enough money that I'll finally get to see Castle in the Sky on the big screen.

BEST MOVIE EVER*

*Disclaimer: haven't yet seen Citizen Kane. I have the film, just have not yet watched it.

Fnord.

The War Game,1965 documentary, as a follow up to Atomic Cafe. Very chilling simulation of the effects of a nuclear attack on the UK.

Die Monster Die, a 1965 film starring Boris Karloff and Nick Adams, based loosely on Lovecraft's "The Colour out of Space".

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, also made in 1965, also starring Nick Adams--Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidorah. Godzilla jumping up and making celebratory gestures after beating Ghidorah.

The Green Zone. Set during the middle of the Iraq Invasion, the search for WMDs reveals that most of the evidence was manufactured. Matt Damon is trying to find out what is going on, while Greg Kinnear is trying to put his own man in as the leader of the new Iraq which means stopping anyone else from finding out what is going on.

Sherlock Holmes with Downy and Law. Its the first movie that I can remember that emphasized Holmes's physical ability, and generally weird behaviors.

CES