What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Dunwich Horror, starring Dean Stockwell(!) and Sandra Dee(!!). Not bad. They keep saying Lovecraft's stuff is unfilmable, and yet there seem to be at least a dozen big screen adaptations, another dozen fan films, and a dozen or so "inspired by/evocative of" films out there. Really, when they can spend 250 million on an adaptation of an ERB story, seems like they could splurge for 90-150 mil on a decent Mountains of Madness flick.

The Dunwich Horror' date=' starring Dean Stockwell(!) and Sandra Dee(!!). Not bad. They keep saying Lovecraft's stuff is unfilmable, and yet there seem to be at least a dozen big screen adaptations, another dozen fan films, and a dozen or so "inspired by/evocative of" films out there. Really, when they can spend 250 million on an adaptation of an ERB story, seems like they could splurge for 90-150 mil on a decent Mountains of Madness flick.[/quote']

Actually, one of my favorite "Lovecraftian" films is Event Horizon. No relation to actual "mythos" material, but it certainly has the right "feel", imo.

The War Game' date='1965 documentary, as a follow up to Atomic Cafe. Very chilling simulation of the effects of a nuclear attack on the UK.[/quote']

They showed that to us at school. To kids, you understand, and with no warning that I recall. Just "We're now going to see a public safety film" sort of thing. It freaked all of us right out.

Cheers, Mark

The Dunwich Horror' date=' starring Dean Stockwell(!) and Sandra Dee(!!). Not bad. They keep saying Lovecraft's stuff is unfilmable, and yet there seem to be at least a dozen big screen adaptations, another dozen fan films, and a dozen or so "inspired by/evocative of" films out there. Really, when they can spend 250 million on an adaptation of an ERB story, seems like they could splurge for 90-150 mil on a decent Mountains of Madness flick.[/quote']

We saw a Lovecraft double feature recently Die Fahbre (a German version of The Color Out of Space, actually not bad: slow but atmospheric) and The Whisperer in the Darkness (The fan film. What can I say? It's OK ... for a fan film).

Neither of them were really good films, but both showed the potential of the material.

cheers, Mark

the latest episode of MLP:FIM (and some reruns).

Last Friday's episode of Grimm. I still watch this show while taking mental notes. I'd like to discuss the setting more, but can't really seem to formulate questions so I'll wait for someone else to start one and just follow it until I can contribute.

Last last Sunday's Once Upon a Time and the one before it. Red Ridinghood is both Badass and Scary, and the episode got kind of dark at the end, but it's still got my interest.

Bank Holiday. British film from 1938.

interesting tidbit: Last night I watched The Kings Speech about King George VI. In Bank Holiday was a scene with the King George VI in horse drawn carriage moving down the street with the public on both sides. THe Kings Speech is a recent film, Bank Holiday was released about 18 months into the reign of George VI, ie of the period.