What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I thought it was brilliant. The internal logic of the movie was perfect. And...

The final troll/giant blew my face off my face. He was so out-of-scope with anything I expected.

Especially him and the Land Rover. Wow.

Huge fan of the period. But, please tell me that you've seen this:

I smiled with the wonder of a small child -- and then needed to explain who Space Ghost was to my girlfriend :)

I'd love to see those guys do a Space Ghost, Herculoids or Thundaar the Barbarian series. Or maybe all three rolled into one with multiple shorts making an episode in an hour block.

I'd love to see those guys do a Space Ghost' date=' Herculoids or Thundaar the Barbarian series. Or maybe all three rolled into one with multiple shorts making an episode in an hour block.[/quote']

I was very displease with the cancellation of BtBatB. The show runners had a great vision of the silver age and fed my inner geek with all the obscure comic references. I particularly remember where the yard of Blackgate Prison was populated by the villains from the 1960s Adam West Batman series. Genius show.

And I would give anything to see them take on the HB heroes, particularly Space Ghost, Herculoids, and Frankenstein Jr.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out which game supplement mentioned a race of cyclops with horns on their heads and goat-like legs. And obvious nod to Harryhausen's work in several movies.

[edit]

Found it. Pathfinder Bestiary, page 52 Here's the specific passage: "Ancient records, the oral traditions of other giantish races, and the scattered accounts of tribal natives of the southern jungles speak of much larger, more primal “great cyclopes,” imposing titans with shaggy legs and a massive horn above an inquisitive eye."

Yeah, totally a Harryhausen reference.

That also sounds like the Gronn from World of Warcraft.

Watched Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame. Dee is brought out from prison to find out why people are bursting into flame before the coronation of the Empress Wu. Naturally everyone wants him to pick their solution to the mystery, or dead.

CES

There is a bit at the end with James Wilson' date=' Ben Franklin, and John Dickinson (all of Pennsylvania) that is beautiful, completely acurate, and shows how very close we came to never being independent. Incredible movie.[/quote']

The HBO miniseries John Adams had a different but interesting take on Dickinson. He had no problems with having Adams over as a dinner guest, and their animosity is not described as personal. Dickinson is simply wrong. He believes that the war can be ended diplomatically and genuinely believes that a full break with Britain is a bad idea, unable or unwilling to see that de facto independence was a no-longer-deniable reality. By the end of the episode he is utterly broken, having realized too late that the tide of history was against him and conjuring up old arguments in a desperate and futile effort to stem the tide.

Dickinson did later play a significant role in the government of the new United States after the war (which he spent for the most part as an unappreciated officer in the Pennsylvania militia), so the voters of Pennsylvania did eventually forgive him for being on the wrong side.

The HBO miniseries John Adams had a different but interesting take on Dickinson. He had no problems with having Adams over as a dinner guest' date=' and their animosity is not described as personal. Dickinson is simply wrong. He believes that the war can be ended diplomatically and genuinely believes that a full break with Britain is a bad idea, unable or unwilling to see that [i']de facto[/i] independence was a no-longer-deniable reality. By the end of the episode he is utterly broken, having realized too late that the tide of history was against him and conjuring up old arguments in a desperate and futile effort to stem the tide.

Dickinson did later play a significant role in the government of the new United States after the war (which he spent for the most part as an unappreciated officer in the Pennsylvania militia), so the voters of Pennsylvania did eventually forgive him for being on the wrong side.

I am ashamed to say that I still haven't watched that series. I'm fascinated by Adams and I love to watch Giamotti act.

Dickinson is a person I used to use to juxtapose the Tories and the revolutionaries to my students. Here's a guy that "chose the wrong side" but did all the right things when it came to standing by his convictions. And history remembers him (if he is mentioned at all) as the guy who voted against independence.

Before that film, you had to be on a controlled substance to see some of those images. It's definitely a thought-provoking, sometimes unsettling, experience.

2001 also set the bar in terms of sci-fi special effects. Its realistic depiction of future space travel is still unsurpassed to this day.

If I remember correctly it was claimed that, when "2001" came out, many of the people who watched it WERE on controlled substances at the time !

I've heard it said that there was a guidebook to the movie going around, with a pointer to when to drop acid for the best effect. :)

And yesterday I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Why did they have to ruin this perfect end to a franchise with that execrable Crystal Skull thing?

I've heard it said that there was a guidebook to the movie going around, with a pointer to when to drop acid for the best effect. :)

And yesterday I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Why did they have to ruin this perfect end to a franchise with that execrable Crystal Skull thing?

I can only assume that Spielberg has lost his mind in the same manner that George Lucas has. I look back on Spielberg's career and the early movies reflect a genius that I don't see in his later films. From around 1990 onward he gets uneven, there is great work in there, but he seems more hit and miss, like he is phoning it in. For a Director that I loved for his fanciful work, he seems to have become a director that does better with historical pieces instead. Purely a subjective view.

I get the feeling Spielberg has to be "hungry" to really make a great movie. The older he gets and the more he has done' date=' the more sated he's become.[/quote']

Agreed. Contrast "Catch me if you can" with "AI" (which were made a year apart) and "War of the Worlds" and "Munich" which were made the same year. The stories that seem closer to his heart (the real world) seem to get better attention from him.

Today's Cary Grant movie was Houseboat. very enjoyable in some parts, and overall quite good. plently of actual laugh-out-loud moments. A delightful way to pass time.

And knowing some of the back history of the film and (from wikipedia) the young actors views remembering shooting it is a delight as well -- both Cary and Sophia treated the young actors with respect and were Gentalman and lady to them. Cary gave them a savings bond, and Sophia gave a necklace to the girl. These actions have given me new esteem for both.

And the tune Sophia sings is very catchy too.

Overall the film 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. For both Cary and Sophia 5 out of 5

Agreed. Contrast "Catch me if you can" with "AI" (which were made a year apart) and "War of the Worlds" and "Munich" which were made the same year. The stories that seem closer to his heart (the real world) seem to get better attention from him.

Schindler's List would be a fairly good example of that.