What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

This is more 'what have I not watched'- Catching up on Daily Show on Hulu, sometimes it offers the option to wach an extended commercial and than see the show without commercial interruption. This time they offered a Scientology commercial. I opted for the commercial breaks instead.

Today's Cary Grant movie was Houseboat. very enjoyable in some parts, and overall quite good. plently of actual laugh-out-loud moments. A delightful way to pass time.

And knowing some of the back history of the film and (from wikipedia) the young actors views remembering shooting it is a delight as well -- both Cary and Sophia treated the young actors with respect and were Gentalman and lady to them. Cary gave them a savings bond, and Sophia gave a necklace to the girl. These actions have given me new esteem for both.

And the tune Sophia sings is very catchy too.

Overall the film 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. For both Cary and Sophia 5 out of 5

Those two are the epitome of the classic movie star -- talent, charisma, and class. :king:

"Zorro, the Gay Blade", because of a slight thread diversion in the "Neat Pictures" thread. And one more episode to go for Season 2 of DS9.

JoeG

IMO the film started with promise, but the "gay twin brother" gimmick dissipated its momentum. A disappointing brake put on George Hamilton's comedic film career, after the promise shown in Love At First Bite.

Those two are the epitome of the classic movie star -- talent' date=' charisma, and class. :king:[/quote'] Agreed. And it was a pendant with a houseboat on one side and "To Mimi from Sophia" on the other. Cary gave each of the kids a $50 savings bond, which Wikipedia says was a large sum in those days.

The girl in the film, Mimi Gibson said, "I'd like to be remembered for Houseboat." She said "Houseboat was fun, wonderful and I loved it".

The youngest son in the film Charles Herbert:

• Herbert's work had him opposite Cary Grant, Sophia Loren, David Niven, Vincent Price, Johnny Carson, Donna Reed and Ross Martin, for all of whom he has high praise for their treatment of him. "Anybody who is in that category (a well-known actor) who is nice to the children is a nice person. 'Cause I worked with some who were not. Children and animals are not big favorites with movie stars."
  • Is deeply appreciative of the work Paul Petersen has done for assisting present and former child actors both financially and emotionally. He and Petersen played brothers in the film Houseboat (1958) starring Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.
  • Quote: "Education for the child actor is non-existent." (source IMDB)

The older son in the film Paul Pertersen:

• Him mum was Donna Reed (same person mentioned above). One of Donna's more famous roles is From Here To Eternity.
  • Quote: "They say children in [the Hollywood acting] industry are protected. Bullsh*t. Hollywood would save Bosnia before the life of a single child actor." (source IMDB)
  • Quote: "I became a child actor because my mom was bigger than I was." (source IMDB)

From Cary Grant's wife Betsy Drake:

• Grant's wife Betsy Drake wrote the original script, and Grant originally intended that she would star with him. After he began an affair with Loren while filming The Pride and the Passion, Grant arranged for Loren to take Drake's place with a rewritten script for which Drake did not receive credit. The affair ended in bitterness before The Pride and the Passion's filming ended, causing problems on the Houseboat set. Grant hoped to resume the relationship, but Loren agreed to marry Carlo Ponti instead.

Comment: That both Grant & Loren's off-screen affair from the previous film ended badly would have made it a bit difficult to work on set. Filming lasted a month. Yet two of the three children thought highly of both/had fun making the movie which is a testament to their professionalism and their character. And how many people can say they have a gift of a pendant from Sophia Loren?

Postscript: the Cary Grant film I watched today: That Touch of Mink, co-staring Doris Day was bland and boring. IMDB says Grant hated the finished film it and I agree with him -- I just couldn't get into it. Houseboat was fun to watch. Tomorrow I face The Awful Truth.

Dexter: Seasons 5 & 6.

Season 5 was very tightly written and was overall my second favorite season (the first is still my favorite). Season 6 tended to wander a great deal but still managed some good episodes. Nice "twist" ending.

The whole adopted siblings love interest thing is creepy. I know the two actors are now married, but the characters are not. Way back in the series, it was strongly hinted that Harry is the one that got Laura Moser (Dexter's biological mother) pregnant. Just don't know how that one could work out.

I saw that under its American release title' date=' [i']Five Million Years To Earth[/i] -- the Quatermass character didn't have much name recognition in the US at the time. The original BBC serial was one of the earliest examples of the "ancient aliens influencing human evolution" sci-fi trope.

The movie is intelligent, well-written and -acted, with good production values. It's decidedly eerie, as much horror as SF. I remember those

Martian corpses in the ship

in particular really freaked me out as a youngster.

didn't one of the characters have a nightmare or breakdown, visualizing the insectlike aliens swarming over earth? Or was that the nightmare I had after watching it?

Huge fan of the period. But, please tell me that you've seen this:

I smiled with the wonder of a small child -- and then needed to explain who Space Ghost was to my girlfriend :)

that is better than I remember Space Ghost being.

IMO the film started with promise' date=' but the "gay twin brother" gimmick dissipated its momentum. A disappointing brake put on George Hamilton's comedic film career, after the promise shown in [i']Love At First Bite[/i].

Yup. It looks like the film makers realized that, and most of the plot actually revolves around the original brother. Love At First Bite, as you note, is the better of the two movies.

I finally saw A Scanner Darkly. My one word review: disappointing.

Back when this was coming to theaters, a 20 minute preview showed up on Rotten Tomatoes to drum up interest. I watched it, and decided that I really didn't want to watch a feature length movie about drug abuse animated in the same creepy technique as the Charles Schwab ads.

JoeG

didn't one of the characters have a nightmare or breakdown' date=' visualizing the insectlike aliens swarming over earth? Or was that the nightmare I had after watching it?[/quote']

No they saw it and it was then visualised on a film for them. The better Quatermass films are the first two however.

As for me 'Winter is Coming'.

'A Game of Thrones'. Really good.

Game of thrones Se2Ep1

Centurion Netflix. Decent movie about a Roman Centurion who helps leads a detachment of Legionaries against the Picts. The mission fails, and now the survivors must make it back to friendly lines..Again, its a decent movie on Netflix. For most gamers, its worth a look.