What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I just signed up for MLB.tv Premium on my Xbox. The regular season doesn't start for most teams for another few games, but I'm watching a Yankees Spring Training game as a test. So far it looks great.

The new financial confidence that wages are coming in the near future has helped me loosen the purse strings just a little bit. I'll be paying $25 a month for all the baseball I can eat. I figure if I watch two or three games a week at least it'll be worth it.

I just signed up for MLB.tv Premium on my Xbox. The regular season doesn't start for most teams for another few games, but I'm watching a Yankees Spring Training game as a test. So far it looks great.

The new financial confidence that wages are coming in the near future has helped me loosen the purse strings just a little bit. I'll be paying $25 a month for all the baseball I can eat. I figure if I watch two or three games a week at least it'll be worth it.

Yes, but you're watching the Yankees. What's a matter with you?

Yes' date=' but you're watching the [i']Yankees[/i]. What's a matter with you?

It was the game I could find. Sorry. And I didn't way I was rooting for the Yankees. (Why is it in all the years I've been a baseball follower and sportsgamer I have yet to encounter a real Yankees fan in the wild?)

It was the game I could find. Sorry. And I didn't way I was rooting for the Yankees. (Why is it in all the years I've been a baseball follower and sportsgamer I have yet to encounter a real Yankees fan in the wild?)

I've got one here in Atlanta. He's rabid. I may call animal control.

You are on the wrong coast. I couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit 5 around here. And when they come after me for hitting them with said cat, I can just point at a convient scapegoat, shout "Red Socks fan!" and escape in in ensuing chaos.

I'm only sorta a baseball fan, and root for the Cubs given the choice.

Just got back from Wrath of the Titans. Definitely better than the first one, but of course that's not saying much. As usual, short on story or even a reasonably competent script or dialogue. The action was passable and the effects were well executed. This time around there wasn't the stigma of being an inferior remake of a much better film. That said...this was still average at best.

Green Lantern- Loved the climactic end fight, and wish the rest of the movie had lived up to it. It was an okay movie overall but not what I would have liked to see in a GL movie. Good special effects, loved the alien GL corps, didn't care for Ryan Reynolds portrayal and the script didn't seem to help him do anything different from 'Van Wilder with a power ring'. I think he and the movie could have been better with a better script. I'd rather have seen less of the surprised 'oh what whacky thing is the ring doing now', maybe replacing it with a more serious learning of the ring's powers with Brando-esque voiceover by Abin Sur/Temuera Morrison.

Knight and Day, with Tom Cruise and Carmen Diaz. Fun romp with some good action if somewhat predictable plot.

Paul- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost haven't failed to amuse me yet. There should be a drinking game made for this movie, take a shot for every fandom in-joke and reference.

The A-Team- A nice update of a nostalgic favorite, telling the story of the A-Team's origin in a fun action flick. I can't think of a bad thing to say about it and look forward to a sequel. I especially like the villains in 'Lynch' and Pike, who both seem extremely competent in their own ways.

A few nights ago I saw the remake of Sleuth, and I'm pissed. Sleuth is a stage play by Peter Shaffer, the author of Amadeus and Equus. It's a classic cat-and-mouse mystery/thriller, and the movie starred a young Michael Cain and older Laurence Olivier. The remake starred Jude Law in the Caine role and Caine stepped into the Olivier role, now much older and fitting. I was intrigued. Directed by Kenneth Branagh, I really tried to like it from the beginning with all of its stylized cinematography and modern changes, but the ending was just abominable. Imagine watching Hamlet and having it end with a big musical number and everyone lives happily ever after. That's how jarring this new ending was. Disappointing cannot convey how repulsed I am. I can't believe Caine agreed to it. I guess I'm just not hip or edgy enough.

Caine has said on a few occations that he took jobs for the money. I think I remember reading somewhere that he reckoned (in hindsight) that Sleuth shouldn't have been remade, or that the original was the better film. I gorget excatly what the criticism was, so you are not alone in that.

If you can, maybe try to find the original to get the remake out of your system. if not try Caine's Get Carter (rather than the Hollywood remake) or The Ladykillers (not the remake). I've seen both the originals of Get Carter and The Ladykillers.

Caine once said something like this: "I haven't seen [some movie where he starred]' date=' apparently it was abominable. But I [i']have [/i]seen the house it payed for, and it is pretty amazing."

I think that film was Jaws iV.

Caine once said something like this: "I haven't seen [some movie where he starred]' date=' apparently it was abominable. But I [i']have [/i]seen the house it payed for, and it is pretty amazing."

When you're as prolific as Michael Caine you are going to let a few stinkers slip in there that are not your fault. But when you have movies like "Get Carter", "The Italian Job", "Sleuth" (the original), "The Man who would be King", and "Alfie" on your resume, you can be excused a few bad ones.

Come to think of it, Jude Law did an "Alfie" remake. Maybe he's just a big Caine fan without the same skills.

When you're as prolific as Michael Caine you are going to let a few stinkers slip in there that are not your fault. But when you have movies like "Get Carter", "The Italian Job", "Sleuth" (the original), "The Man who would be King", and "Alfie" on your resume, you can be excused a few bad ones.

Come to think of it, Jude Law did an "Alfie" remake. Maybe he's just a big Caine fan without the same skills.

Hannah and Her Sisters, The Ipcress File, THe Eagle Has Landed, A Bridge Too Far, The Battle of Britain, Educating Rita, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Cider House Rules, The Quiet American, and only Jack Nicholson and Dustin Hoffman are the two other actors who have been nominated for an Academy Award for either leading actor or supporting actor in every decade since the 1960s.

So we can excuse the occasional "money grab" film from Sir Maurice Micklewhite CBE.

I think that film was Jaws iV.

I was close, Jaws: The Revenge.