What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

*Sigh* I watched the new "My little Ponies" series to see what the fuss was about and tried to stay objective. Lauren Faust has recreated all the genius of the "Power Puff Girls". The writing is tight. The mythology is clever and consistent. The humor made me chuckle (a rare thing for television). The characters are likable. More importantly, there a self-saving princesses in this show. Young ladies watching this program are not inundated by reactive, sissified females that are too foolish to solve their own problems. The morals are classic morals (as opposed to the late 80s/early 90s morals of "adults want to kidnap you" and "drugs are bad"). The thing that really grabbed me is that the challenges are very Norse/German folklore in style and reminiscent of tales I read as a child (I was raised in a household by a German grandfather). It's a very good show.

Don't get me wrong. I shoot bullets from my eyes and ride horses and am about as 'manly' as one should expect from a guy who identifies so heavily with Sam Vimes, but... I might be a Brony.

*Sigh* I watched the new "My little Ponies" series to see what the fuss was about and tried to stay objective. Lauren Faust has recreated all the genius of the "Power Puff Girls". The writing is tight. The mythology is clever and consistent. The humor made me chuckle (a rare thing for television). The characters are likable. More importantly, there a self-saving princesses in this show. Young ladies watching this program are not inundated by reactive, sissified females that are too foolish to solve their own problems. The morals are classic morals (as opposed to the late 80s/early 90s morals of "adults want to kidnap you" and "drugs are bad"). The thing that really grabbed me is that the challenges are very Norse/German folklore in style and reminiscent of tales I read as a child (I was raised in a household by a German grandfather). It's a very good show.

Don't get me wrong. I shoot bullets from my eyes and ride horses and am about as 'manly' as one should expect from a guy who identifies so heavily with Sam Vimes, but... I might be a Brony.

Welcome to the herd.

Cheers. I'll keep an I out for it at the DVD store.

Minor problem -- US releases of MLP: FiM are of 2-4 episodes at a time, and not in any sort of order. Australia gets a full season DVD release and if you have Netflix or iTunes Store you can get episodes that way.

Minor problem -- US releases of MLP: FiM are of 2-4 episodes at a time' date=' and not in any sort of order. Australia gets a full season DVD release and if you have Netflix or iTunes Store you can get episodes that way.[/quote']

I recall with terribly clarity that Buffy was released vaguely the same way. I was not amused.

I recall with terribly clarity that Buffy was released vaguely the same way. I was not amused.

Hopefully Hasbro will... (wait for it) pony up a full Season One DVD boxed set.

Minor problem -- US releases of MLP: FiM are of 2-4 episodes at a time' date=' and not in any sort of order. Australia gets a full season DVD release and if you have Netflix or iTunes Store you can get episodes that way.[/quote']

Presume this is the series. Is this about half of season 1?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/DVD/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-friendship-changes-everything/dp/6112226