What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Thanks. It's helping me get through the 1st season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, which six episodes in does not know if it wants to be a Cold War-themed science adventure or The Outer Limits with a recurring cast. (It will become neither, but that's later.)

My local TV never ran Ultraman when I was a kid. Seeing it as an adult, the show still has its own internal logic.

I loved VttBotS when I was a kid. I'm sure it meanders more than my memory allows me to recall.

Here in Georgia, Ultraman ran in a block of tv with Speed Racer, Kimba. Astroboy, and Marine Boy. It was on the fledgeling WTCG (Channel 17). In the 70s WTCG became a sattelite station, then changed its name to WTBS, and eventually became Turner Broadcasting. When I was a lad, the news studio was rolled away to reveal the wrestling ring for Georgia Championship Wrestling.

Oh for those glory days to return :)

Well...I always interpreted them as actually being psionic entities...with no real physical substance without possession or forming a body for themselves(via psionic matter transmutation)..hence becoming human sized....giant sized...whatever. I think the "we need to repair our ship" BS was just that...a convenient excuse.....but then...I've seen way too much of the Ultra shows...and trust me....the original series makes WAY more sense than what came our way in the 70's. "shudder"

I often wondered how the 1979 show turned out. I've never seen it.

Just finished watching Secret of Kells

It was awesome!

So, Crom Cruach is a Lloigor? I can work with that. This goes into setting background bits...

I saw this a few months ago. It was amazing.

Aisling was easily the best screen portrayal of a faerie I've seen to date.

Edit: Post-script: The funny thing is, I'd been kinda hemming and hawing about watching this one because of the obvious Christian themes, and because I was worried about how they'd portray the Northmen.

Then I saw the opening credits...

I loved VttBotS when I was a kid. I'm sure it meanders more than my memory allows me to recall.

Here in Georgia, Ultraman ran in a block of tv with Speed Racer, Kimba. Astroboy, and Marine Boy. It was on the fledgeling WTCG (Channel 17). In the 70s WTCG became a sattelite station, then changed its name to WTBS, and eventually became Turner Broadcasting. When I was a lad, the news studio was rolled away to reveal the wrestling ring for Georgia Championship Wrestling.

VttBotS would definitely seem slow and padded to most folks today, as today's editing techniques are not in evidence and the writers still seem to be approaching episodes as stage plays.

Of the anime shows you mention, we only got Speed Racer. That only lasted for one year, probably because somebody freaked. Still one of the more intense things I saw as a kid.

VttBotS would definitely seem slow and padded to most folks today, as today's editing techniques are not in evidence and the writers still seem to be approaching episodes as stage plays.

Of the anime shows you mention, we only got Speed Racer. That only lasted for one year, probably because somebody freaked. Still one of the more intense things I saw as a kid.

There is an episode where the team gets lost in the desert and Trixie hallucinates that Speed has turned into this monster. Just his face changed, but it freaked me out as a little kid.

Netflix streaming is notorious for lowering your standards when looking for something to watch :)

Well, Ultron was still cool, but the kids were a bit grating. Also, Thor stayed in Asgard after all his teammates got murdered? Really? This the same Thor who defied his father like, every frickin' issue?

Well' date=' Ultron was still cool, but the kids were a bit grating. Also, Thor stayed in Asgard after all his teammates got murdered? Really? This the same Thor who defied his father like, every frickin' issue?[/quote']

Marvel's cartoons tend toward suck (with a few exceptions), it took until this latest round (A:EMH, and Wolverine and the X-Men) to convince me that they can do good shows.

There is an episode where the team gets lost in the desert and Trixie hallucinates that Speed has turned into this monster. Just his face changed' date=' but it freaked me out as a little kid.[/quote']

Lizard man, complete with forked tongue. Yeah, that did a number on me too.

There's also one where Racer-X gets shot in the back while he's driving, and stuff like that just didn't happen on other cartoons.

Lizard man, complete with forked tongue. Yeah, that did a number on me too.

There's also one where Racer-X gets shot in the back while he's driving, and stuff like that just didn't happen on other cartoons.

And people stuck in desert prisons, Snake Oiler crashing and being carried off by his team leader. It was a very intense show for a young child.

And people stuck in desert prisons' date=' Snake Oiler crashing and being carried off by his team leader. It was a very intense show for a young child.[/quote']

The original would have been even more intense. Even the credit sequence showed the windshield of the Mach Five being hit by bullets.

Incidentally, the original name for Speed was Go Mifune: Go is, among other things, the Japanese word for five (a number that appears everywhere in the series) and the surname was in honor of Japan's most acclaimed film actor, Toshiro Mifune.

The original would have been even more intense. Even the credit sequence showed the windshield of the Mach Five being hit by bullets.

Incidentally, the original name for Speed was Go Mifune: Go is, among other things, the Japanese word for five (a number that appears everywhere in the series) and the surname was in honor of Japan's most acclaimed film actor, Toshiro Mifune.

Speed was Go Mifune, but the show was Mach Go Go Go, correct? I'm making a brain call back to the 80s.

Speed was Go Mifune' date=' but the show was Mach Go Go Go, correct? I'm making a brain call back to the 80s.[/quote']

You are correct. At a convention once I tried to play a Japanese Playstation game (first generation, which shows you how long ago that was) based on the series. You could use various buttons on the controllers to use many of the MAch Five's special features (all of which are pointless on a real race car).