What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Is it 6 year old friendly?

Does anyone know if there are any novelizations for Avatar? I am curious whether Zuko finds his mother.

edit, I just looked it up. Korra sounds great. I knew it was coming, having heard part of an interview on NPR with one of the Creators. I didn't know the title, nor that it was already out.

sweet...

Is it 6 year old friendly?

Does anyone know if there are any novelizations for Avatar? I am curious whether Zuko finds his mother.

edit, I just looked it up. Korra sounds great. I knew it was coming, having heard part of an interview on NPR with one of the Creators. I didn't know the title, nor that it was already out.

sweet...

It's super kid friendly while still being compelling. Just like Avatar.

The first four episodes of The Jack Benny Program, in sequential order. It might not be a very sophisticated production by modern standards, but it's still funny. It's also interesting to note how fully-indoctrinated to the "benefits" of smoking everyone was. I sometimes forget from my own childhood in the '60s how prevalent smoking was. About the only place you were not allowed to smoke was at the gas station or the maternity ward, but it's still sort of interesting to note how much control the sponsors had over content, to the extent that pitches for Lucky Strike cigarettes were worked into the script!

The first four episodes of The Jack Benny Program' date=' in sequential order. It might not be a very sophisticated production by modern standards, but it's still funny. It's also interesting to note how fully-indoctrinated to the "benefits" of smoking everyone was. I sometimes forget from my own childhood in the '60s how prevalent smoking was. About the only place you were not allowed to smoke was at the gas station or the maternity ward, but it's still sort of interesting to note how much control the sponsors had over content, to the extent that pitches for [i']Lucky Strike[/i] cigarettes were worked into the script!

Radio programs of the era (of which this series is an evolution) were frequently, if not usually, named for their sponsors. Thus the show was officially "The Lucky Strike Program, starring Jack Benny". It would take another decade for the forms of sponsorship we know now to take hold.

Some people still note that America has never decisively won a war ever since they stopped distributing cigarettes as part of the soldier's standard ration. In World War II cigarettes were given to every soldier, used as black market currency in occupied countries, and supplied to patients in military hospitals as part of their recovery plan.

Even today there are medical settings, such as mental health clinics, where smoking is encouraged as part of a therapeutic regimen (or simply to give bored people something to do). My payee sets aside money for many clients simply to keep them supplied with cigarettes or rolling tobacco.

The first four episodes of The Jack Benny Program' date=' in sequential order. It might not be a very sophisticated production by modern standards, but it's still funny. It's also interesting to note how fully-indoctrinated to the "benefits" of smoking everyone was. I sometimes forget from my own childhood in the '60s how prevalent smoking was. About the only place you were not allowed to smoke was at the gas station or the maternity ward, but it's still sort of interesting to note how much control the sponsors had over content, to the extent that pitches for [i']Lucky Strike[/i] cigarettes were worked into the script!

You mean like this

Ek Main Aur Ekk tu

and

Bluffmaster!

couple of bollywood films the first one was highly unsatisfying as it was a microcosm of my love life to date.

Second one had a slightly bigger payout and was entertaining

They both had dance numbers.

You mean like this

Just about, yes. I'm not sure when the FCC started to clamp down on including advertising content in the program proper, and then when they stopped caring.

Speaking of which, here's the website of an organization that advocates in favor of smoking -- who actually believe smoking is beneficial and not harmful at all.

Been rewatching the first season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes with the wifey. Almost up to the season finale. Sucks that they're going away from Yost's overall storylines second half of season 2. On rewatching it, I can see how carefully they set up stuff early on that carries on into S2. Someone needs to put Loeb out of our misery. (Into retirement, mind you. I wouldn't presume to order his execution, as that's teh Bunneh's perogitive.)

Paul

Paul is a classic "grey" alien, except for the attitude. If you weren't aware of that by now, then why are you reading this?

I happen to enjoy Seth Rogan's characters, at least the animated ones, and Paul is animated, even though the rest of the movie is live-action. Two nerdboys from England attend Comic-con, then drive an RV to "See America", specifically famous sites in UFO history. They make enemies with hostile rednecks and while fleeing from a car they think is the rednecks' truck they are passed, the car crashes before their eyes. When they stop to see if there are any survivors (hey, Hollywood car crashes are pretty bad, even when there's no apparent cause, as in this case) they discover Paul, who is on the run from Area 51.

...And has to be the most personable screen alien since E.T.

Ultimately, they wind up being chased by multiple government (I assume) agents, rednecks, and a fundamentalist father trying to get his daughter back from the "devil" (Paul) who "abducted" her (actually, one of our now-lovestruck nerdboys).

Hilarity ensues.

Don't go in with high expectations and you'll be amused. If you can only be pleased by the very best, you may not enjoy Paul, and you have my sympathy. :eg:

The American Experience - The Civilian Conservation Corps. An hour long history of the CCCs 1933-42. A combination of narrated history and interviews with still living CCC enrollees.

I found it enjoyable but also kind of sad that we stopped such a successful program to provide work and experience to young adults.