What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I watched Casshern last night. It had two pretty good superhero fights' date=' a lot of flashbacks, a lot of stylized coloring and camera work so that at times it was like watching a live action video game. At one point the movie did go black and white for long enough that I thought they had made a mistake in editing. The ending was, well there was confusion and then credits.[/quote']

I've been wanting to see that movie ever since I saw a trailer for it like 3 years ago. I'll have to track it down now that it's finally been released in the states. And I hear that the US version is actually an edited down, somewhat more watchable version story-wise.

Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. An interestingly different Samurai film; being set in the warring states perod before the formation of the Tokugawa Shogunate, you have such interesting differences as real Ashigaru (professional foot-soldiers, not just peasant levies) and a lack of the later reverence for the sword as the "weapon of honor" (at one stage two Samurai duel, but choose spears, and I didn't see anyone wearing the daisho save in formal court dress).

Kurosawa was a true master of the craft, and it's obvious how this film influenced Lucas' Star Wars.

. . . Not so much "influenced" as "provided material to rip off". There were scenes in Hidden Fortress that looked uncannily like some scenes in ANH. :)

Well, Lucas has come out an said HF was a huge influence.

I hate when i have something recording on the Tivo and I try to go to sleep, but knowing it's on keeps me awake. So I stayed up until 11 watching The Ultimate Fighter (I loves me the UFC violence). Mac Danzig is quite a character; I hope he goes all the way.

I also recently watched the Frank Langella version of Dracula (my favorite version), and caught six epsiodes of Flight of the Conchords. It's such DRY humor that I'm suprised to see it has a second season. Personally, I *love* the songs. "Bowies In Space" and "If that's what you're into" and many more.

I hate when i have something recording on the Tivo and I try to go to sleep' date=' but knowing it's on keeps me awake. So I stayed up until 11 watching [i']The Ultimate Fighter[/i] (I loves me the UFC violence). Mac Danzig is quite a character; I hope he goes all the way.

I also recently watched the Frank Langella version of Dracula (my favorite version), and caught six epsiodes of Flight of the Conchords. It's such DRY humor that I'm suprised to see it has a second season. Personally, I *love* the songs. "Bowies In Space" and "If that's what you're into" and many more.

His last name's Danzig? Really? Awesome.

And yeah, Flight is hilarious. I really have been enjoying it, and their music really is incredible. "Bowies in Space" and the LotR song were fantastic. I need to get it on dvd.

The Star Trek original series ep. that I forgot the name of. Alternative something? The one where they have the two versions of a guy named Lazarus that are trying to kill each other, and will blow up the universe if they come into contact.

Awesome stuff, and I usually really dislike ST (hence my seeing this ep. for the first time).

The Star Trek original series ep. that I forgot the name of. Alternative something? The one where they have the two versions of a guy named Lazarus that are trying to kill each other, and will blow up the universe if they come into contact.

Awesome stuff, and I usually really dislike ST (hence my seeing this ep. for the first time).

Is that Let This Be Your Final Battlefield?

No, Let that be your Last Battlefield is TOS' polemic against racism, featuring one guy who's black on the left, white on the right, while his opponent is white on the left side, black on the right.

I want to say The Armageddon Alternative, but that doesn't feel right.

The Alternative Factor

Let This Be Your Final Battlefield had Frank Gorshin playing a bi-colored alien.

Kaze no Yojimbo. Picked it up cheap for the complete collection. Interesting story.

Kaze no Yojimbo. Picked it up cheap for the complete collection. Interesting story.

Being a fan of Yojimbo and it's knockoffs (Fistfull of Dollars and Last Man Standing), I'm interested in this. How does it come across over all?

More episodes of Human Weapon. Such a great show. The DVDs are $24.95 a piece, way too much, but the downloads are only $1.99. I may actually buy an MP4 player for this.

Women of Ninja Warrior marathon. Best show to watch while exercising, ever.

. . . Has anyone seen The Dark Is Rising? It won't be released here -- except the little complex back home has reserved a national exclusive!' date=' and will be showing the only copy of the film.[/quote']

No I haven't, but the general consensus is "not very good."

Being a fan of Yojimbo and it's knockoffs (Fistfull of Dollars and Last Man Standing)' date=' I'm interested in this. How does it come across over all?[/quote']

Kaze no Yojimbo is an anime. The copyright is listed from 2001-2004. The set was produced by Bandai Entertainment. The story and the main character, George, are really well done. It's a really involved story with a multitude of sub-plots based off of other characters, but in a way, just about every sub-plot ties to the main plot of the story.