What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

An ACC men's basketball game with Clemson visiting the top team in the nation, Duke. For a game that was 2-0 five minutes in it's been a surprisingly entertaining game, with some spectacular defense.

I watch everything on delay now that I only have Internet video.

I caught up on my DVR to catch the latest (in the US anyway) episode of Young Justice. Seeing L-Ron working for Despero instead of Magna Khan was a bit jarring to old school sensibilities, but Mal Duncan gets to stand up as "Earth's Champion!" in a scene that made me smile

I rewatched "Sin City" with Jen last night. I have clearly changed a lot since 2005. I will always love Robert Rodriquez's work, but, even at the time I saw it, I was uncomfortable with Frank Miller's misogyny. Seven years later and I was very uncomfortable with it. Artistically it remains beautifully done, but women only being portrayed as sex workers (with one exception) and/or victims was a little jarring. It's been bothering me all day.

The Last Airbender. Saw it on tv last night, and somewhat surprisingly, the wife left it on that channel. Only saw the first two hours, however, as we decided to hit the sack rather than watching the second part. Glad we didn't pay for it, but may get the second part on Netflix just to finish the story. 2 stars.

No idea how true it is to the original material, but it didn't impress me much. It has kids as the heroes, and they act like kids much of the time. This is good, as I don't expect kids to be experienced and wise, but bad, because I have zero interest in watching kids do just about anything. And some of the big plot points seemed blatantly obvious to me - it took the heroes time to figure it out, yet should have been obvious to anyone there. If the adults are really this clueless, maybe they deserve to be taken over by an enemy nation? Decent action, good sfx, beautiful countryside, but it just didn't grab me.

How was Battleship?

Average? You need to ignore the fact that it was "based" on the game. But for a basic alien invasion/maverick looser pulls it together when the chips are down/Hollywood military action movie it was worth the time to watch it on Netflix. I would not pay money to own it, or even see it in the theaters. But I would (and did) give it two hours of my life. And don't feel cheated at that. Would have been better with a beer or two. There are plot holes if you go looking for them, some worse then others. If you saw previews and thought that it looked interesting, watch it. But if you don't, you aren't missing anything huge.

The Last Airbender. Saw it on tv last night, and somewhat surprisingly, the wife left it on that channel. Only saw the first two hours, however, as we decided to hit the sack rather than watching the second part. Glad we didn't pay for it, but may get the second part on Netflix just to finish the story. 2 stars.

No idea how true it is to the original material, but it didn't impress me much. It has kids as the heroes, and they act like kids much of the time. This is good, as I don't expect kids to be experienced and wise, but bad, because I have zero interest in watching kids do just about anything. And some of the big plot points seemed blatantly obvious to me - it took the heroes time to figure it out, yet should have been obvious to anyone there. If the adults are really this clueless, maybe they deserve to be taken over by an enemy nation? Decent action, good sfx, beautiful countryside, but it just didn't grab me.

The original animated series is much better. The movie is basically highlights from the first season, but without the continuity of 20 episodes. The characters are a little to moody for the original series also, as Aang was, for the most part, care free and having fun. Sokka is basically comic relief for the first season and the planner and jokester of the group.

Watched a few depressing documentaries lately.

Dreams of a Life "It tells the story of Joyce Carol Vincent the body of whom was found in January 2006 decomposing in her bedsit in Wood Green, North London; after apparently dying unnoticed in December 2003, surrounded by unopened Christmas presents with her TV still switched on." It's incredible. Her body was sitting undiscovered for years. It doesn't even seem possible in the modern age.

The Town that Was "In 1962, Centralia, Pennsylvania, was a thriving mining town when a trash fire ignited a seam of anthracite coal. The fire continued unabated until the mid 1980s. The story of an entire town abandoned by the government." It's a disheartening story about a disaster that could have been averted or minimized except for the fact that the people with the authority were too busy twiddling their bureaucratic thumbs.