What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Immortals. Meh, much better Greek-Hero movies out there.

Deep Rising. A classic cheesy horror movie. A number of lines from it have made their way into our gameing quotes.

"If the cash is there, we do not care."

Well worth watching.

Immortals sucked...far worse than the Clash of the Titans remake and its sequel...and that's saying something.

Alfie with Michael Caine. Found it boring.

Hannah and Her Sister. Found it disjointed and too "New York" ie rushed--one scene here, and lets go to another scene over there...which makes it disjointed. And the Woody Allen storyline added nothing essential to the film except near the end. And Woody Allen speaks to fast, but I can excuse that as that is his natural way of speaking.

Just got home a little while ago from seeing Lincoln. A beautiful piece of work from Daniel Day-Lewis, who inhabits the role of Abraham Lincoln as nobody else has inhabited it before, or probably ever will again.

The movie covers the eventful month of January 1865, with the Civil War nearing its conclusion, and revolves around Lincoln attempting to get the 13th Amendment through the House of Representatives (it had already passed the Senate) in order to end slavery in America forever. Since the lame-duck Congress did not give him a certain majority even after the triumphant 1864 elections, the task was one of extraordinary difficulty -- and since debate changes few minds in those settings other means had to be employed to "convince" some of the minority Democrats (many of whom had just lost their seats) to go along with a plan their party was utterly opposed to. Meanwhile a peace delegation from Richmond is on its way putting the plan in further difficulty.

The most shocking thing about the film is how bigoted everyone involved is. We can't judge the Congress here by 21st century standards, at least if we want to make sense of the times, but the attitudes of most of the Congressmen, even the anti-slavery ones, towards "coloreds" are astounding. The idea that African-Americans might someday vote or sit in Congress horrified all of them. Today, of course, we have a black President. Many of the things these men were so terrified of have come to pass -- and the world is a better place for it.

If the 13th Amendment had not been passed, the four years of terrible carnage would have been for little. Lincoln knew this, and it seems astonishing that so few of the people around him seemed to understand.

Zero Hour - Why'd it have to be Nazis? The acting is a little wooden and the story has been done to death. Still, there is an element of mystery and secret agendas so I'm in for an episode or two. I expect that the acting will get smoother as the cast gets used to each other. That will make the feeling of "same ol' song and dance" go down easier.

The Americans - So let me get this straight; the protagonists are Soviet spies sent to infiltrate the US as sleeper agents and I am supposed to feel some sort of empathy for them? I'm supposed to root for them? I sort of rooted for the FBI counter-intelligence guy, but only when I wasn't snoring. I'm giving it another episode or two to get good or it hits Dropsville on the 10 O'Clock out of Disinterest, CA.

The Americans from FX. Pretty good' date=' will keep watching.[/quote']

I was extremely impressed by the Americans. I particularly liked that they reversed the "Perfect Couple has a break-up" formula. I was also amazed at how many times I laughed at "life is just like that" moments in the sow, particularly in the area of parenting.