What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

A Clockwork Orange

Soylent Green

Continuing my foray into movies I probably should have seen before, but never got around to. Clockwork Orange was good, but not to be watched lightly. Soylent Green might have been better if I didn't know the secret behind what was going on, but I doubt it. Both interesting takes on the near future from the past.

Total Recall (the new one) Overall I liked it. There were a few bits of tech/setting that were hard to swallow, but that's sometimes an issue with sci fi as a genre.

In my effort to catch more classic movies I've missed, my mom reccomended http://www.afi.com/100years/movies.aspx Anyone else have any good lists of "must see" movies? That one seemed a good starting point, or at least a place to grab a few films from. I've seen about half of the top 25, and agree in general. I also like a nice genre diverse list.

Total Recall (the new one) Overall I liked it. There were a few bits of tech/setting that were hard to swallow' date=' but that's sometimes an issue with sci fi as a genre. In my effort to catch more classic movies I've missed, my mom reccomended http://www.afi.com/100years/movies.aspx Anyone else have any good lists of "must see" movies? That one seemed a good starting point, or at least a place to grab a few films from. I've seen about half of the top 25, and agree in general. I also like a nice genre diverse list.[/quote']

Some lists are entirely subjective. I would start with films from the 30s and 40s and go from there.

The monster movies Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, King Kong.

The gangster pictures of Edward G Robinson, Cagney and Bogart.

The 50s Monster and Sci Fi films like Them !, Godzilla, It Came from Outer Space, The Thing from Another World amongst others.

Swashbuckling films like The Crimson Pirate, Robin Hood and Scaramouche

Tell us what you like and we can give recommendations

I have blitzed through Game of Thrones Series 2. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is priceless.

Alien Resurection. Good cast. I have not seen Michael Wincott in anything in years but Gary Dourdon went onto CSI. Sigourney and Winona were good as was Perlman but with the director you just knew who else was going to be in the cast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Walking Dead Season 1 and halfway through Season 2. I really am wondering what all the buzz is about. So far, Season 1 was way too abbreviated and Season 2 is like The Waltons with zombies. Don't get me wrong, it is not painful or tedious to watch. It just isn't really grabbing me like I hoped it would. Too many predictable moves on the part of the creative staff. Or maybe I've just become too jaded and cynical about TV shows.

Men in Black 3 and Looper

Both were good, but not great, movies. I felt a little sad after watching both movies. I realize just how old Tommy Lee Jones and Bruce Willis are getting.

Yeah. I enjoyed RED, because a) it was a bit of campy fun and B) they milked the fact that their action hero was a pensioner.

It's pretty hard to take it straight though. These guys (or their agents) need to accept that their action-star days are over. That's OK. Bruce Willis and (especially) Tommy Lee Jones can do way more than that: the guy has a face just made for character roles.

As for recent movies, I just saw Studio Ghibli's Up on Poppy Hill (beautifully made, sweet, but a bit predictable) and Cloud Atlas (which I liked very much, but then I've read the book, so had no problem with the plot). It could have done without the happy ending coda they tacked on, though.

cheers, Mark