What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Wolverine. They redid Yukio from the comic. I knew I had seen Viper before but did not where from. There is an interesting problem to overcome for Days of Future Past but stick around for the credits to see the trailer for that.
They sort of had to redo Yukio, as they had already shown Lady Deathstrike in X-Men 2, and it wasn't her and a big part of this movie is that it takes place after X-Men 3.

With the Alan Partridge movie almost here, one of his first appearances in The Day Today the spoof news show. The news itself was spoofed as opposed to seeing the lives of those who presented the news such as in Drop the Dead Donkey. Some items included a serial killer in the States being executed in the same way as Elvis died i.e. while on the toilet and the Pound being stolen.

The Astronaut (1972)

In the then future year 1981 the transmission of the first man on Mars is interrupted and a washed out pilot is secretly recruited by NASA to take stand in for him because he was effected by something in the Martian atmosphere.

On Youtube

We saw World War Z today. An adequate, entertaining movie, with tention in the right places -- I thought the book was better, but bro begged to disagree. The Third Man hadn't read it, and had no oppinion on the matter.

Also, we saw the first two episodes of Dag, a Norwegian black comedy series. If you can find it with subtitles or a dub, give it a try.

World War Z was okay, but it wasn't an issue of "the book was better" to me as much as, "they made a zombie movie and slapped the book's name on it". There is hardly anything in common between the two.

Dr Who: The Green Death. Katy Manning's last story as Jo Grant and the show has a melancholy air as the Doctor realises early on that she is leaving him. This also has a psychotic computer called BOSS as well as the infamous giant maggots. I liked it but then this was the Doctor and his assistant that I remember most fondly.

Also with the main commentary track, bonus commentary track, the recollations of the filming of the show and the spoof scandal bit with Mr Gatkiss.

"Can't Stop the Music", which proved to be somewhat inaccurate as a title. Notable for being one film in a double feature which inspired the Golden Raspberry Awards (the other movie was "Xanadu", which looks like a masterpiece of Western Civilization compared to "Can't Stop the Music"). Think those "let's do a musical" comedies featuring Mickey Rooney and friends, coupled with the fading allure of Disco's Village People, circa 1980. The highlight of the film is an odd interpretation of "O Danny Boy" by the Leatherman (Glenn Hughes), which I've placed here to save everyone the pain of watching the other 121 minutes of the film (at least "Xanadu" only clocks in at an hour and 36 minutes).

The Phantom. A Russian captain's last mission is on his first boat with what turns out to be members of the KGB. They have a device that can mask the submarine's signature and want to start a war between China and America by making the US believe the Chinese have launched a nuke at them. The normal crew set out to stop them. The KGB believe that America has a first strike capability plus a way to neutralise any retaliation by USSR submarines and ships. So why not strike at the USSR ? After all wouldn't the Russians do that in the American's steed ? Has Ed Harris as the captain and David Duchovny as the head KGB goon. Also William Fichtner.

• 2 weeks later...

Boardwalk Empire Season 3 and don't upset a World War 1 Vet. 23 sees the end of Harding but that is not mentioned. They are laying the groundwork for major stuff in Chicago which should consume 1924 in Season 4.

The Ice Warriors. Patrick Troughton Dr Who and the first appearance of these fearsome Martian warriors. Stars Peter Barkworth (known as one of the guys with Burton and Eastwood in Where Eagles Dare) and Peter Sallis (Wallace in Wallace and Gromit). The head Ice Warrior is played by Bernard Bresslaw who was a Carry On film regular.

Walking With Dinosaurs, the original series (narrated by Ken Brannagh), then the Ballard of Big Al (an Allosaur found in the early 90s) and then the Big Claw and Land of the Giants. The latter have Nigel Marven. So I had to watch the Primeval episode from Season 3 when he is eaten by a Giganatosaur.

Watched the Expendibles 2 Chuck Norris doesn't look 72. It was a hilarious contrast how his character just mows bad guys down left and right without breaking stride where everyone else is running for cover

Watched Jack Reacher. Cruise was good as the hero, the alterations to the story were clear cut, it worked better.

Watched Die Hard 5. John mcClane trying to save his kid in Moscow only to mess up the Cia and bad guys both.

CES

• 2 weeks later...
"Can't Stop the Music", which proved to be somewhat inaccurate as a title. Notable for being one film in a double feature which inspired the Golden Raspberry Awards (the other movie was "Xanadu", which looks like a masterpiece of Western Civilization compared to "Can't Stop the Music"). Think those "let's do a musical" comedies featuring Mickey Rooney and friends, coupled with the fading allure of Disco's Village People, circa 1980. The highlight of the film is an odd interpretation of "O Danny Boy" by the Leatherman (Glenn Hughes), which I've placed here to save everyone the pain of watching the other 121 minutes of the film (at least "Xanadu" only clocks in at an hour and 36 minutes).

I liked Xanadu.....or at least the music from it.

Let's see...I've watched...

Dredd: Better than the Stallone film, but once again no effort is made to give the title character any kind of back story...so we're left with "Robocop" without the cybernetics.

The Campaign: Mildly amusing. The baby sequence is the funniest part of the entire film.

Ultra Q(TV series): This is basically an Outer Limits style show from Japan. Sooo....expect to see lots of monsters. Pretty good overall though.