What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

"Can't Stop the Music", which proved to be somewhat inaccurate as a title. Notable for being one film in a double feature which inspired the Golden Raspberry Awards (the other movie was "Xanadu", which looks like a masterpiece of Western Civilization compared to "Can't Stop the Music"). Think those "let's do a musical" comedies featuring Mickey Rooney and friends, coupled with the fading allure of Disco's Village People, circa 1980. The highlight of the film is an odd interpretation of "O Danny Boy" by the Leatherman (Glenn Hughes), which I've placed here to save everyone the pain of watching the other 121 minutes of the film (at least "Xanadu" only clocks in at an hour and 36 minutes).

"Xanadu": Music by Electric Light Orchestra and Olivia Newton-John, with the Tubes in the battle of the bands sequence and Cliff Richard in the recording studio sequence.

For the record, a gaming buddy of mine forced me to watch "Xanadu". He then quizzed me by asking, "What did we learn?"

Me: "Find your muse and build a roller disco for her."

Him: "Got it in one."

Hannibal complete series 1. I have seen Manhunter, Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I have read the books Hannibal, Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs so this was almost a shoo-in for me.

Someone in the writing department has a warped mind for what one of the killers did. Good cast. And from the first book (Red Dragon) they have introduced Will Graham, Jack Crawford, Dr Chiltern, Dr Lector and Freddie Lounds. The latter is now a woman. Makes me wonder if they are going to do the books as well. Oh and yes the series does have Gillian Anderson. As Lector's psychiatrist/

Eddie Izzard and Lance Henrickson also guest starred. I liked the series but it is not for the squeamish.

The Beatles in HELP ! Enjoyable.

Given that they would later embrace Indian mysticism (and George Harrison would remain a devout Hindu for pretty much the rest of his life) they can't have been happy with the movie in hindsight.

The Beatles signed a contract to make three movies while they were still managed by Brian Epstien (the only man with a hope of keeping three geniuses in line). They ended up only making two "scripted" ones. They finally, after several years, let cameras into the recording of their Let it Be album to get the contract over with, knowing they didn't have much longer as a group. (Let is Be displayed their tensions for all to see and is one of the saddest music documentaries ever made).

I've been watching a lot of shows from Europe lately, including the TV productions of Andrea Camilleri's Il Commisario Montalbano from Italy and Jan Arnald's (aka Arne Dahl) series featuring A Gruppen from Sweden. Since public TV imports lots of shows from the BBC, I'm all caught up on Foyle's War and have seen the early episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe.

Westworld--Michael Crichton wrote and directed this story where the amusement park of the future breaks down and the robots start killing guests. There was a weaker sequel, Futureworld, which wasn't written by him, and then a TV series, Beyond Westworld, which was (but only had 3 episodes air). There have been plans on remaking Westworld, first as a movie project (possibly with Arnold Schwarzenegger), then as an HBO pilot by J. J. Abrams, Jonathan Nolan and Jerry Weintraub.

I timeshifted the rivalry game between the Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders is Major League Soccer. The atmosphere at Jeld-Wen Field was amazing and I wish I'd been there in person.

The Timbers won 1-0, brought their total for the season to 53 points, and moved into the Western Conference lead all by themselves  They are also tied for the Supporter's Shield, awarded to the club that finishes with the most total points, with the New York Red Bulls. And they don't have an international superstar like Thierry Henry to fall back on.

Rose City 'Til I Die!

A veritable Dr Who binge

Dr Who: Colony in Space. The Time Lords send the Doctor and Jo Grant to a distant planet to stop the Master getting his hands on a deadly doomsday weapon. They get involved first with colonists and the villainous members of a mining corporation.

Dr who: Day of the Daleks. Their first appearance since 1967. Although there are significant faults with the story it is still a good one.

Dr Who: The Mutants. The Time Lords send the Doctor and Jo Grant to the planet Solos where they must combat the villainous Marshal.

Dr Who: Planet of the Spiders. The last Jon Pertwee story.

Dr Who: The Deadly Assassin. The only Tom Baker story where he is on his own. A classic.

Dr Who: The Five Doctors which is the 20 year anniversary special

Dr Who: Attack of the Cybermen. This is a Colin Baker story and links to several other Dr Who shows. A better story than Colin deserved. The worst Dr as far as I am concerned.

Olympus Has Fallen.

Die Hard in the White House.  I did learn a few things from the movie.

One, White House glass doors are bulletproof, but windows are wall are not.

Two, The Secret Service searches visitors for guns, but not knives.

Three, The Secret Service will allow foreign nationals to go unwatched in the Presidential Bunker even during an attack.