What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

I thought they explained that. The frequency was increasing, which is why earth was getting in serious trouble. The Aliens were sending as many as they could and learning each time. I got the feeling each one sent increased the size of the "hole".

I read the book after watching the movie.  At first I thought the books had more info but when I re-watched it, the info in the book was all in the movie. 

The invaders were a very ancient race that has been assimilating worlds for millions of years.

They scouted earth back in the Age of Dinosaurs but it wasn't suitable yet.

The Kadji in the movie were small scouts whose purpose was to determine suitability of the environment and determine the level resistance ether by environmental conditions, flora/fauna or intelligent opposition.   If there was intelligent opposition they were to assess threat by a series of probing attacks. 

That was what the movie was about, Earth resisting the probes.

The last ditch defense in the movie is because the scientist brain meld not only alerted Earth to what was happening but told the Invaders that they knew.  Once that happened they accelerated pushing multiple scouts through and were getting ready to send the real combat beasts in when they blew the portal.

This of course doesn't end things.  The Enemy has been doing this for Millions of years and will have multiple worlds and portals.   My guess is that the sequel will happen 5-20 years later.  Bigger badder Jeagers (probably with single pilot technology) against bigger and badder kadji. 

All in all a very well done Anime style plot and movie.

Finished watching The Big Sleep, which it was. The plot is famously convoluted which makes following it pointless. The screenwriters asked the novelist who killed one of the characters, and the novelist replied "don't know". That about sums it up. Maybe the next Bogie film (Dark Passage) will have more plot.

Finished watching The Big Sleep, which it was. The plot is famously convoluted which makes following it pointless. The screenwriters asked the novelist who killed one of the characters, and the novelist replied "don't know". That about sums it up. Maybe the next Bogie film (Dark Passage) will have more plot.

Yes Dark Passage had more plot, but not sure if I'd ever see it again, didn't grab me. Next up The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Finished watching The Big Sleep, which it was. The plot is famously convoluted which makes following it pointless. The screenwriters asked the novelist who killed one of the characters, and the novelist replied "don't know". That about sums it up.

Sacrilige !

If you were talking about the Robert Mitchum version I would say you had a point but the Bogart version ?

Been looking on Youtube and the Matt Helm films with Dean Martin are the direct precussors to Austin Powers. Although there are elements of Bond and Flint (and to an extent Michael Caine's Harry Palmer), it is mostly a Helm spoof. The pad, relationship to women and profession are all Helm. Similarly there are greater similarities in Austin and Matt's employment by Secret Service.

The main difference is that all the Bond actors and James Coburn actually acted whereas Dean Martin just turned up.

I've watched down two of the Austin Powers films over the weekend and will be watching the second Derek Flint film shortly as it arrived today.

Sacrilige !

If you were talking about the Robert Mitchum version I would say you had a point but the Bogart version ?

Yes the Bogart version. if you want a more detail post with quotes and links to back up part of my post, please say so and I'll do it for you.

But only if you ask nicely. 

Kill Devil (2004)

Battle Royale ripoff about teenagers given amnesia and plopped down on an island to kill each other.  The idea is that all of them carry the "murder gene" and scientists are performing this experiment because reasons.  Not very good at all (more details on my blo) but if you see it, be sure to check out the surreal alternate ending which explains some of the casting choices.

In Like Flint. James Coburn's second outing as Derek Flint and he has to stop a group of powerful women taking over the world. The women are then betrayed by a villainous general and team up with Flint to defeat him. More serious than Austin Powers and Matt Helm, there are still laughs to be had and Coburn plays it just right. He also lists the secret of his success with women, he does not compete with them which is a simple succinct answer. A fun film.

Caught up with Blacklist. 

Watched another episode of Killer Women.  I don't know if I am going to continue though.  Overall it is pretty enjoyable, but they have a side-plot going that has the main character acting 180 degrees out from her primary personality that is really making it difficult to watch. 

I've been watching the Australian Open the last week and a half. Lots of interesting rematches and upsets. Both the men's and women's singles champions have been eliminated in the quarterfinals, within 24 hours of each other. A lot of the top seeds have also been eliminated, so there will be some new faces in the final.

Wrestlemania 14 from the DVD I got from Amazon recently. 

Kane vs Undertaker take 1, Rock vs Shamrock, Triple H vs Owen Hart with Chyna handcuffed to Commissioner Sgt Slaughter, The New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie (Terry Funk), the LOD accompanied by Sunny and Sean Mchaels vs Stone Cold Steve Austin for the title with special enforcer Iron Mike Tyson.

Wrestlemania 13. Rocky Mavia vs The Sultan, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Bret Hart, Hunter Hearst Helmsley (with Chyna) vs Goldust, Legion of Doom and Ahmed Johnson vs Nation of Domination (Farooq, Savio Vega and Crush with D Lo Brown in a non wrestling role) and Sid Justice vs The Undertaker for the title. As good nhow as it was then

I got the chance (well, I had some time on my hands) to see last week's controversial NHL game between Vancouver and Calgary. The game is notorious for the way it started: Calgary put their fourth line out to start the game, Vancouver responded with their fourth line, and the very instant the puck was dropped all ten skaters started fighting. There's actually a name for when this happens -- a "line brawl". As a result, four players on each side received game misconducts are were ejected. Left Winger Kellan Lain's NHL debut for the Canucks lasted two seconds. At the end of the period Vancouver head coach John Tortarella, in his first year and having a miserable start, tried to force his way into the Calgary locker room, presumably to confront his opposite number Bob Hartley.

It got better for Lain. He avoided suspension, played the next game against the Oilers, and scored his first NHL goal.

It didn't get better for Tortarella. He got suspended -- fifteen days without pay, missing six games -- and will go down in hockey lore for what he did to Lain's debut. Some believe he either knew this would happen (he says he didn't and was trying to "protect" his stars, thinking Hartley wanted or ordered a brawl to get players like the Sedin Twins ejected) or actually ordered his players to fight.

It turned out to be a pretty good hockey game, although the four remaining defensemen on each side were struggling for air by the end. It ended in a shootout, which Vancouver won in five rounds.