What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

You do know the Tom Baker supplement for DWATS is out on Drive-Thru (or probably its UK equivalent), don't you?

I tried to care but found I could not. But thanks for the info anyway.

Carry On Don't Lose Your Head. The Carry On Gang are in Scarlet Pimpernel territory as The Black Fingernail rescues French aristocrats from the guilotine.

Now that the new version of Robocop is coming out the old version is available from stores at a knockdown price ($5).

So I got it. It has an ordinary release and director's cut version. The director's cut is a bit more graphic but otherwise the film is the same. The same dark humoured brilliant sci-fi that is as fun then as it is now. 'I'd buy that for a dollar' indeed. And Kurtwood Smith and Ronny Cox are masterful villains ably supported by Miguel Ferrer and Ray Wise. The new film has an awful lot to live upto.

Now that the new version of Robocop is coming out the old version is available from stores at a knockdown price ($5).

So I got it. It has an ordinary release and director's cut version. The director's cut is a bit more graphic but otherwise the film is the same. The same dark humoured brilliant sci-fi that is as fun then as it is now. 'I'd buy that for a dollar' indeed. And Kurtwood Smith and Ronny Cox are masterful villains ably supported by Miguel Ferrer and Ray Wise. The new film has an awful lot to live upto.

Nah...  The new movie can't help to be better.  While there were a few amusing parts in the first, Vdiots penchant to try to create satire out of nothing was always still-borne except for people that never read the original material.   I'll admit Robocop was better than most of his attempts, but that was just because he had a decent cast and it wasn't based on a book.  Whenever he attempts to make something based on a published work it dies horribly.  It is like he hires someone to read the cliff notes and then refuses to listen to them.

I am really looking forward to a version of Starship Troopers made by someone that actually read the book.   IAW the articles I have seen this time they are trying to stay close to the book.  Vdiots problem is that he is a very very troubled soul that tries to demonize..err...satirize anything he disagrees with.  The problem with ST is that the main thing he was satirizing wasn't actually in the book.  The exact opposite in fact.  But to know that people would have to read it.  All in all Vdiot is one of the movie makers at the bottom of my watch list, like Shyamalan.  Great technical skills but the inability to actually tell a story. 

Isn't it expressedly described as a miniseries? Anyway, for a British series, ten episodes is a lot.

I don't know.  I don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime etc.  The price is extremely high for one or two shows a year, if they went 'A la carte' I might.  

I only see the show when it hit Blu-Ray/DVD, so you could be right.

Isn't it expressedly described as a miniseries? Anyway, for a British series, ten episodes is a lot.

yes but GoT is not British. it is an American cable show. 

Finished Game of Thrones S3. 

My only complaint is there seem to be fewer and fewer episodes per season.  

A full season is 26, a half season is 12-13.  But 10?

Love the show, but hate the stingy episode count....

The half season of 13 episodes at 45 min each work out to be 585 mins

The 10 episodes of GoT at 60 mins each are 600 mins. 

So the cable show has a longer running time. 

Edit: for comparison the Lord of the Rings extended Blu-ray edition is 726 mins