What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Must have! MUST HAVE! What company is producing it?

UFO boxed set? Bought it at J&B HiFi in Osborne Park. Released in Australia through Umbrella Entertainment (http://www.umbrellaent.com.au). It looks and sounds really good - nice clean images, nice bright colours, crisp sound with good bass too.

I just discovered "The Unit" on DVD. Watched about half the first season - great show. Sometimes military, sometimes copish, sometimes con artist. Plus Dennis Haysbert (a favorite) and Robert Patrick.

I don't have any TV reception (and won't pay for satellite or cable), so I am generally unaware of TV. This has been a nice surprise.

I somehow have never managed to see American Beauty until last night.

Good movie, but in ways painful to watch, even tho I'm almost diametrically different than Kevin Spacey's character, Lester.

Always tough for men in September to be reminded of the absurdity of chasing after girls still in May.

We saw I am Legend in the theaters. Well-done, but a bit of a downer. After that and The Mist a few weeks ago, my wife and I definitely need to see something a little more cheery.

On DVD, we recently watched:

• Meerkat Manor disk 1: Never knew how vicious those cute little critters could be.

• Titan A.E.: Disappointing. Left me cold, and surprised by the violence.

• Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Excellent film noir movie, and some really funny stuff. If you haven't seen this one, check it out. Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer make a great team.

The local critic (who's wicked picky) gave it five stars (out of five). He said it was the best movie he's seen this year. And I've been hearing good stuff about it online.

Well, it does have Johnny Depp in it....

The local critic (who's wicked picky) gave it five stars (out of five). He said it was the best movie he's seen this year. And I've been hearing good stuff about it online.

It is my all time favorite musical. Everything I've seen thus far has me absolutely DROOLING to see it, and the cast is a Tim Burton dream team. It should rock.

I'm looking forward to seeing Alan Rickman's take on Judge Turpin.

This should be good bloody, cannibalistic, mass murdering fun, with catchy tunes you can hum to :D

"Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd.

His skin was pale and his eye was odd.

He shaved the faces of gentlemen

who never thereafter were heard of again.

He trod a path that few have trod

did Sweeney Todd

the demon barber of fleet street.

He kept a shop in London town.

Of fancy clients and good renown

and what if none of their souls were saved

they went to their maker impeccably shaved.

By Sweeney,

by Sweeney Todd

the demon barber of fleet street."

So it being a little slow at work right now, and what with the Writer's Strike dashing most hopes of good (or any) new TV in the New Year, I went through this thread and made sure to update my NetFlix Queue with anything that looked interesting.

So I'm up to a total of 242 items in my queue... I've got plenty of stuff to watch in the new year ;)

Next up is Treasure Planet, The Illusionist, and the rest of Meerkat Manor.

So, my Amazon package that claimed to be arriving on December 28 showed up today. In it was the 5 disc special limited edition of Blade Runner, and the 25th Anniversary 3-disc Vangelis "Trilogy Edition" soundtrack. The limited edition package is a small "briefcase", with a bunch of extras (a toy "spinner" police car, a plastic replica of the unicorn origami, a "motion film clip" in a block of lucite, and a small file folder with concept art. And of course, there's the package of DVDs, wedged in the protective anti-shock foam lining half of the case.

DVD 1 is the "Blade Runner-The Final Cut", a completely remastered (and re-edited) version of the movie. It is gorgeous! The added elements are generally unobtrusive, and the movie's look was cleaned up without sacrificing the dark, brooding atmosphere of decay. My only complaint was a layer transition that was in the middle of a scene, so the pause was a bit more noticeable than it should have been.

DVD 2 is a documentary about the making of the movie(s). DVD 3 is a single disc with branching content, which allows it to carry the original American edition, the European edition, and the Director's Cut. I haven't played with the disc yet, but it, too, has been remastered, and I've already seen each version before. Disc 4 promises to be an archive of various aspects of production, development, and film restoration and remastering. Disc 5 is a copy of the work print, which was long rumored to be superior to the three released versions (on Disc 3).

JoeG

So, my Amazon package that claimed to be arriving on December 28 showed up today. In it was the 5 disc special limited edition of Blade Runner, and the 25th Anniversary 3-disc Vangelis "Trilogy Edition" soundtrack. The limited edition package is a small "briefcase", with a bunch of extras (a toy "spinner" police car, a plastic replica of the unicorn origami, a "motion film clip" in a block of lucite, and a small file folder with concept art. And of course, there's the package of DVDs, wedged in the protective anti-shock foam lining half of the case.

DVD 1 is the "Blade Runner-The Final Cut", a completely remastered (and re-edited) version of the movie. It is gorgeous! The added elements are generally unobtrusive, and the movie's look was cleaned up without sacrificing the dark, brooding atmosphere of decay. My only complaint was a layer transition that was in the middle of a scene, so the pause was a bit more noticeable than it should have been.

DVD 2 is a documentary about the making of the movie(s). DVD 3 is a single disc with branching content, which allows it to carry the original American edition, the European edition, and the Director's Cut. I haven't played with the disc yet, but it, too, has been remastered, and I've already seen each version before. Disc 4 promises to be an archive of various aspects of production, development, and film restoration and remastering. Disc 5 is a copy of the work print, which was long rumored to be superior to the three released versions (on Disc 3).

I own this as well, getting #799 out of 103,000. I watched roughly 90% of the workprint edition at NASA Friday, on a 30" Macintosh flatscreen monitor (yeah, life really sucked for about 2 hours). They edited the dialogue to remove the plot hole in the number of replicants Deckard has to hunt down and had added dialogue and such that I'm mixed on. Some of it is a nice touch, but some might consider it a distraction from the overall look and feel. I stopped right when Deckard starts to hunt Roy through the Bradbury (it was time to go out and head to the company Xmas party).

One thing I found kinda funny was spotting some of the errors in the production as a whole. Such as visible wires supporting a police spinner in one street scene, and the numerous goofs with Zhora's death (her high heels turn into flats, you can tell it is a totally different woman, and you can see the blood-bursts pump and cable in one hand).

I'd brought the whole case into NASA to show it off, and numerous people ooohh and ahhhd over it. Many mentioned they were hoping to find it under their tree. :D

I also just saw I Am Legend. It reminds me 28 Days Later, and like many Hollywood films based on novels, didn't survive meeting the script-writer. While a few of the basic concepts are the same, the film rapidly diverges from the source. I think if it had been called anything else, and had a disclaimer along the lines of "inspired by the novel I Am Legend" I'd have been happier. That said, visually it is stunning and a "must see" for anyone wanting to run a post-apoc game where society has only just broken down. I'll also state this is one of those films where CGI is a wonderful thing, as it makes the movie as oppose to detracting from it.