What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been meaning to watch it, how is it? 

Utterly brilliant.

Just finished the new BBC adaptation of War and Peace. yes it has Gillian Anderson in it but hers is a bit part. The big revelation of this is Paul Dano playing Pierre Bezukhov. I had seen him in There Will be Blood and Cowboys and Aliens where he played similar characteristics. Here he if anything underplays and it is good. Filmed partly in Russia, it just looks wonderful and is a great piece of drama.

Utterly brilliant.

Just finished the new BBC adaptation of War and Peace. yes it has Gillian Anderson in it but hers is a bit part. The big revelation of this is Paul Dano playing Pierre Bezukhov. I had seen him in There Will be Blood and Cowboys and Aliens where he played similar characteristics. Here he if anything underplays and it is good. Filmed partly in Russia, it just looks wonderful and is a great piece of drama.

Cheers for the comments on the Great Barrier Reef doco. I did watch War & Peace but not being familiar with the book, I found it a little hard to follow the story and with the ensemble cast difficult to remember who was who. The main characters, and some of the more recognisable actor names (like Gillian) made it easier; I'm mainly referring to the supporting cast. 

Utterly brilliant.

Seconded.  Excellent adaptation, much better than the version from the 1950's and closer to Tolstoy's vision IMO.

Rented John Ford's The Lost Patrol from Netflix. It is not the best movie to watch in the middle of a crisis, but I could see how justly influential it became, and it still stands the test of time as a great movie.

Victor McLeighan (not sure of the spelling), one of the thirties's best known toughy leads (the other film he is most remembered form was the IRA drama The Informer), plays the sergeant of a patrol of British cavalry in 1917 Iraq (then referred to as "Mesapotamia"). It's unclear who they're there to fight, but in the very first iconic shot of the film the officer in command is shot down by a sniper in the middle of the desert. Since he was the only one who knew the patrol's orders and where they were going, the sergeant's only choice is to try to lead them back to where he hopes their brigade is. Desperate for water and rest, they find an oasis -- which turns out to be a deathtrap, as they discover that a group of snipers is nearby. After their sentry is killed and their horses are stolen, the small patrol gets ever smaller as the snipers relentlessly pick them off one by one. Even the appearance of a British flier turns into false hope as he too is killed, and as the patrol's numbers dwindle the survivors start to go mad, each in their own way -- including the sergeant himself.

The best known actors today in the cast are Alan Hale (father of the Skipper, and a fine character actor) and Boris Karloff in one of his first major non-horror roles as a religious near-fanatic who finds the "blasphermies" of soldiers ever more intolerable. Both do excellent work. And watch the confident Sergeant try to keep his men from breaking while inside he is breaking himself is in a way horrifying.

The producers knew little about Iraq, but then few Americans knew anything about the country at the time. (In 1917, it was part of the Ottoman Empire with which Britain was at war, but the Iraqis didn't like the Turks much. Nobody did -- their wide posessions all across the Middle East were just aching for the opportunity to kick them out. So why "Arabs" would be fighting a guerilla war against the British is unclear unless it was general xenopobia.)

This is one of the most influential movies ever made, especially for science fiction and horror. Movies like Alien and TV series like The Walking Dead take inspiration from its portrayal of how the unseen and unknown can lead to terror and paranoia.

Believe me, when something really bad is happening to you a film about paranoia and death isn't ideal entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I never had time when it was on to watch it, and the reruns never caught me, but I took a chance on Hulu and noticed they had a lot of episodes of Taxi. You know, Judd Hirsch, Danny DeVito, and others... I heard good things about it, and I figured it might be worth a view.

I may have hooked myself on a show that was playing when I was a kid.

The new series of the X-Files just finished. Although the last episode was not that good, the delivery mechanism for the downfall of mankind was horrifyingly plausible. I did like the Were Monster episode.

Caught a season 1 episode of Sanctuary where a you have a first person view of a journalist covering a series of deaths that was quite good.

Dickensian.

A 20 episode story featuring a plethora of characters from Dickens novels which serves particularly as prequels to Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations and Bleak House. The central conceit is that the characters all live in or around the same street.

The story begins with the murder of Jacob Marley and the investigation into it by Inspector Bucket (who will be part of Bleak House). This is a major thread of the series.

The reading of the Havisham will pits Arthur Havisham against his sister Amelia who inherits the bulk of the estate. Arthur schemes to deprive her of it by involving Meriwether Compeyson to seduce her. This is the other major thread of the series. This is the prequel to Great Expectations.

Apart from this you have the Barbery family who are a major part of Bleak House. Honoria Barbery works with one of the Cratchett children and is a friend of Amelia Havisham. Her father's business is failing and his other daughter Frances chides him for it. This is part of the background of Bleak House. As is Honoria's relationship with Captain Hawdon.

The Old Curiosity Shop is on the street as well and we meet Little Nell.

As the show ends A Christmas Carol begins as does Oliver Twist with The Dodger meeting Oliver.

The other books that have characters involved are Our Mutual Friend and Hard Times.

Tuppence Middleton as Amelia (pre the madness that destroys her in Great Expectations) is good. She was also in War and Peace.

Anton Lesser is a good Fagin.

Caroline Quentin who has been a good comedy actress for some time is a revelation as the awful Mrs Bumble (Oliver Twist).

Stephen Rea plays Inspector Bucket with a quiet authority as he goes about using the new detection methods to find Marley's killer, which ultimately he does.

Ned Dennehy plays Scrooge but we don't see enough of him. However the story has to be served and it just worked out that way.

It was an interesting idea and it worked. In part you knew what was coming but it was still entertaining. The one thing that was unclear was who actually killed Marley and that revelation was handled well.

If you get the chance, watch it.