What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Black Snake Moan. This movie tackles a hell of a lot, and as such the ending is abrupt and optimistically over-tidy. That aside, man it tackles it all really well. I was stunned at how much this movie delivered, albeit in its own weird way. Anti-spoiler below.

There's a lot less sex than you think, which is a good thing. No, Sam and Christina do not get it on. That's not the point of the movie.

Anyway, it has redemption, salvation, adaptation, growth, and people helping each other because it helps them to do so. It's a damn good movie, with a great soundtrack. And Ms. Ricci is mostly naked for most of the movie, which doesn't hurt a bit. She could use a few (about a hundred. Someone buy the woman a cheesecake, so we can have thecheesecake she usd to sport back.) good meals, but she works the skinny for all its worth.

The thing that I didn't like about this movie is that they made a very good-looking woman look very bad. The music was great, though. I really like The Black Keys, and Samuel L. can actually sing a little.

So after watching Titan A.E. a week ago, I finished out my animated space adventure two-fer with Treasure Planet. Aside from the completely superfluous music by the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls (which was at least not too distractingly lame), this movie was pretty cool. Some great character designs on Long John Silver (and his arm) and the other pirates, some fun action sequences (especially the last one in the exploding Treasure Planet), and all-around good voice work (unlike Titan A.E.).

Take a look at this if you are ever planning on running a Spelljammer campaign - lots of stuff to steal.

So after watching Titan A.E. a week ago' date=' I finished out my animated space adventure two-fer with [i']Treasure Planet[/i]. Aside from the completely superfluous music by the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls (which was at least not too distractingly lame), this movie was pretty cool. Some great character designs on Long John Silver (and his arm) and the other pirates, some fun action sequences (especially the last one in the exploding Treasure Planet), and all-around good voice work (unlike Titan A.E.).

Take a look at this if you are ever planning on running a Spelljammer campaign - lots of stuff to steal.

"Completely superfluous"? I thought the song fit that point in the movie quite well.

I'm assuming you mean the use of "I'm Still There" during the Jim / Long John Silver sequence that had the flashback cutscenes.

I agree, though. Good source material, once you get past the annoying required Disney elements (e.g., B.E.N as the comedy relief character, Morph as the cute marketable pet / sidekick). :rolleyes:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and assorted bonus features on disc 2. It was really interesting to see the huge gimbaled sets for the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman for the Maelstrom scene. Loved the part where the special effects supervisor was worried that the huge amount of simulated rain coming down was effectively making the blue screen turn gray, which would mean huge problems with putting in CGI backgrounds.

JoeG

"Completely superfluous"? I thought the song fit that point in the movie quite well.

I'm assuming you mean the use of "I'm Still There" during the Jim / Long John Silver sequence that had the flashback cutscenes.

I meant 'completely superfluous' in the 'get some halfway famous rocker to write a couple of insipid ballads so that we can maybe market additional copies of the soundtrack' sense of the phrase. I hated when Disney let Phil Collins do it; this time was barely passable, mostly because the songs were instantly forgettable.

Just finished watching ep. 3 of Twin Peaks. Got the Gold Edition for Christmas, and I've been slowly watching it for the first time whenever I get time. Damned good so far.

And I finally know what the joke was in Who Shot Mr. Burns? when Chief Wiggum has that dream where Lisa dances and speaks in that bizarre tone.

Awesome stuff though.

The full Hong Kong version of Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon.

I never knew that this was intended as a Kung Fu comedy, and yet the first 1/4th or so would have worked just fine as a Jackie Chan film. Maybe the whole thing.

This was directed by Lee. He's not good at directing comedy. So, despite the fact that he's pretty good at mugging, it's not funny.

It is, however, interesting to see how much of this Stephen Chow lifted for his "All for the Winner", and for other films. Lee's Kung-Fu Gifted Clueless Country Bumpkin is a character I've seen Chow play at least three times. For that matter, Jackie Chan's Wheels on Meals owes a bit to this film.

Lee's films for the Chinese markets (HK, Taiwan, foreign Chinese theaters) are a heck of a lot more xenophobic / borderline racist (pick one, depending on how you choose to read it) than his films for the American market. There was a lot of anger he held back when speaking to American audiences.

All in all worth watching, but I can't see watching it again for a few years.

Taekwondo episode of Human Weapon.

Very interesting, and impressive.

Also, first time I've seen the guys get their asses kicked so throughly in the demo fight. Part of it was because this is such a departure from the other arts they've studied, part was because most of their non-Taekwondo legal moves were taken off the table, but mostly the guy they were facing was very good.

Doctor Who, New Series, Entire Second Series

Doctor Who, New Series, Third Series... about 6 episodes in or so

Battlestar Galactica, New Series, Mini Series

Thats about it.

So I take it Dr Who will be course material next year for the students?

I've watched about 10 episodes of House. My biggest beef is that the format is pretty much the same for each episode. Mystery illness, false diagnosis or two, near death, resolution. Very little variation. I was surprised to see the Hispanic/Asian lesbian couple, and then cynically noticed they were the one's who suffered a death in the family, while the white couple didn't.

That said, the verbal interplay makes the show worth watching, but I'm glad I only borrowed the DVDs.

I saw I Am Legend recently. Like that a lot. Have been watching the 24 season 5 marathon, on and off on WGN this weekend. That was a great season. Watched a video called Bill Maher Put the ex in Texas. That was unbelievably funny. Stardust also. Didn't watch it too closely, was doing other stuff. It didn't hold my attention. I'll have to try it again.