What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The entire first season of Blacklist. Pretty decent show all in all. I wonder if #1 is Reddington himself. Started Season 2 but got bored watching TV.

About halfway through season 1 of How to Get Away with Murder. it flashes back and forth in time too much. Too much sex. Those two things being removed, this would make an awesome television show. The premise is interesting but the end result is just too "busy" and carries too much sexual baggage for the purpose of carrying sexual baggage. Probably not going to continue with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Road and Joey Dunlop.

These are documentary films about motorcycle road races and about an unheralded man called Joey Dunlop. Joey holds the record for most wins at the Isle of Man TT races at 26. An Irishman he was quiet and unassuming but at the age of 48 he won his last TT races in three different classes. Sadly shortly thereafter he died in a race in Estonia where he had gone as a close friend had committed suicide. 50,000 people went to his funeral. His brother Robert died 8 years later in a race in Ireland at the age of 47.

Joey was recognised for his sporting achievements in the 1980s with an MBE but received an OBE for taking food to Romanian orphanages off his own back.

Inside out and The Good Dinosaur.

Inside Out worked as a metaphor for growing up and handling your problems as your emotions take over.

The good dinosaur was a handling of coming of age story that's been done millions of times before.  Sam Elliot reprises his role as a cowboy just as a T-rex

Lava and Sanjay's Super Team were ace storytelling with Lava being about a singing island that just wants someone to love and Sanjay's Super Team dealing with imagination and traditions

CES 

I saw Warcraft. Frankly, this is another case of the critics and I being worlds apart as I quite enjoyed it. Yes, I've played the games, but I have a friend who hadn't and knew zip and she liked it as well. I think there might be more of an anti Fantasy bias here on the part of certain critics than a 'video game movies suck' angle alone.

Currently watching an Australian produced show called Cleverman.

Based on indigenous culture, with a massive layer of political commentary about indigenous rights and asylum seekers.

Slow and rather heavy handed, but with some fascinatingly stealable gaming ideas.

Can be watched online, but you will have to do a bit of magic if you want to watch it from outside Australia.

Adele at Glastonbury. And boy did she swear up a storm during the breaks between songs. But really good set. And something I have not seen before. She stopped to allow an announcement about getting someone seriously ill out of the crowd and ensured that there was a clear path for them to move. Also picked people out of the crowd, got them on stage, quasi interviewed them and stopped to get photoed or selfied with them. 

Rewatched The Thomas Crown Affair (1999). Still one of my favorites, even with it's flaws in logic, because of the fantastic chemistry between Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo. Oh, and the music was pretty good too. I'm not a Sting fan, but he really did a great job with Windmills of My Mind.

Went and saw BFG and Legend of Tarzan today.

BFG was exactly what I thought it would be. Fun movie, mostly for kids but good enough for adults. CGI interaction between girl and BFG was amazing. I did mention to another lady at the movie before hand that the theater (about 30 people, which is good sized for friday morning here) was about 2/3 50 or older in age and maybe only 5 or 6 kids there.

LoT was better then I thought would be. From the previews, I kept saying I don't remember Tarzan having these abilities in the books. I was wrong. There is a big social angle (obvious from the previews even) that probably would not have appeared in the Burroughs books, but the character stuff and the resulting plot would definitely have been a Burroughs thing. Jane is a little (ok, a lot) more competent in the book. They don't completely rehash his origin (except in flashbacks as  reminders). Only thing that bothered me was Samuel L. Jackson - Not because he isn't a good actor and doesn't play the part in the movie well, but that he is 67 and playing a part that at most should be early 40s (they even make him look that young). I won't spoil on why this bothers me, but the physical stuff he does when you see it will suffice.