What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Well I just watched two straight-to-DVD cheesy horror movies (the best kind) -- Feast, otherwise known as Henry Rollins vs. the Monsters, and Wrong Way II, otherwise known as Henry Rollins vs. the Cannibal Mutant Hillbillies.

Oh, Henry, Henry...

Just re-watched The Host' date=' a first rate horror movie out of Korea. Just a fantastic film. Really, if you haven't seen it, even if you're not a fan of monster movies, watch it.[/quote']

What if you don't like horror movies at all? My wife can't stand them - she hates being scared or grossed out.

And to go back on thread...

Finished watching Series 3 of the new Doctor Who. Strongest episode? For my money I'd have to say Blink. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth it as an excellent example of why a self contained episode of a TV series can do things that a film just can't because a film is too long.

What if you don't like horror movies at all? My wife can't stand them - she hates being scared or grossed out.

If she can cope with the darker recent Doctor Who episodes, she can cope with this. It's scary, and tragic, but it's not a teen gross out flick or splatter show.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.

And to go back on thread...

Finished watching Series 3 of the new Doctor Who. Strongest episode? For my money I'd have to say Blink. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth it as an excellent example of why a self contained episode of a TV series can do things that a film just can't because a film is too long.

It's more monster than horror film. But I highly recommend it.

An Evening with Keving Smith II: Evening Harder

I'm halfway through season one of The Ghost Whisperer. While it reeks a little of "touched by an angel" because of it's whole attempt to bring people to inner peace, I'm still entertained so far. Can't help but think that it needs more external conflict; A villain of some kind. On the bright side: They can't help but display Jennifer Love Hewitts' ginormous features in every episode.

At home I'm watching season one of Mr. Show with Bob & Dave. Not as funny as I'd always heard, but still has its moments. I wonder if the other seasons are funnier.

Perfect Blue -- Hitchcock meets anime. I liked it a lot, as the anime medium allowed for some excellent visual effects. Also, it showed a far more "normal" side of Japan. Oh, and it has a "happy" ending, much like Taxi Driver has a "happy" ending. In fact, Perfect Blue strikes as being "Western" in that regard -- there's none of that Japanese culture ending that leaves us scratching our heads.

Lady in the Water. Didn't want to see it, thought it would be crap, haven't really liked anything Shyamalan has done since Sixth Sense or (to a lesser extent) Unbreakable.

Liked it.

I can see why it got panned, but some interesting mythology, a few touching moments, a couple of laughs, and some pleasantly absurd ideas. Not a great film, but entertaining.

On the bright side: They can't help but display Jennifer Love Hewitts' ginormous features in every episode.

Those "features" were the only reason I'd randomly flip to it and watch it for about five minutes before getting bored.

Just not my cup of tea, otherwise.

I just watched Transformers Animated. So that's what they'd be like if written the folks who did 'The Batman'(the new one). After watching it, I feel sorry for kids. Transformers G1 still has the better storyline, (not to mention they lack that silly Sailor Moon style transformation sequence).

Huh, this is my 200th post. Ah, well.

Battle of Wits -- Andy Lau is a warrior asked to defend a city under siege. An interesting film about powers, politics, love, death, and war. In some ways, it reminded me of of Musa, although I thought Musa did the siege and loyalty angles better. Still, an interesting film to watch, especially for FH GMs looking for ideas on siege tactics.

Best Bad Boy, aka Love on Delivery

Stephen Chow is a delivery boy who falls for a beautiful Judo student, who in turn is being stalked by her Judo-champion sensei. To protect her and prove himself, Stephen must learn Kung Fu from Ng Man Tat, a convenience store owner and con man.

Eventually, this leads to Chow battling evil while wearing a traditional Chinese Kung Fu costume and Garfield mask.

More fun than I thought it would be. A good light satire, it manages to make fun of martial arts movie conventions even as it follows them. Some nice appearances by the same crew Chow uses in most of his films, and the genesis of some jokes he later re-used in Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu hustle. No CGI, just practical effects and some fairly good stunt work.