What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

I have seldom wanted to punch an actor as badly as I wanted to punch Gary Cole. Not sure what it was, but everything about his performance rubbed me the wrong way.

Part of it, for me, was the same reason I want to punch Chris Pine in most of the stuff he does. Wonder Woman was okay but I have not seen him elsewhere that doesn't "rub me wrong."

The Fifth Element--This was recently re-released on 4K Blu-ray, with a Dolby Atmos sound mix. Very beautiful, and still a lot of fun.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back--Slowly working my way through the Machete order. This one's still a favorite.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones--Not really a bad movie, if you fast forward through all of the Hayden Christensen scenes.

King of Comedy....another Stephen Chow movie in the vein of Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer.

Watched this last night.

I swear that I saw the same basic plot with a guy wanting to be an action hero, getting a break but losing the girl, etc. a few years back. Also played a bit for comedy. I think it was another Hong Kong film, but for the life of me can't remember the title. There was also a little person who was the comic relief/crotchety friend/relative of the main character. The details were different, but the core was the same.

Dunkirk. It was good, enjoyed it, glad I saw it, but didn't really love it as much as a lot of the critics seemed to. Visually beautiful, but the characters are (quite intentionally) paper-thin, which made it hard for me to get too invested in them as individuals. Also Nolan just can't resist messing around with timelines, and in this case I thought it really confused things. Spoiler not for plot, but just for overall structure:

There are three interweaving stories, one which takes place over a week, one takes place over the space of one day, and one in just an hour. But he cuts back and forth between them as if they're happening concurrently. That can be a clever trick in some stories, but at least for me it really distracted from this one, as it led to odd cuts where it's night in Dunkirk but daytime in England?

Over the last couple of weeks I've watched the MCU dvds from CA:TWS on.

Followed by the Dollars Trilogy, watched The Good the Bad and the Ugly last night.

Not sure what's on for tonight.

Oh before the MCU movies I watched all of Daniel Craig's James Bond movies. 

I liked Crusade; I wish it had been given a chance to succeed. I thought Gary Cole did a decent job as the captain.

I just watched episode 9 of Commissaire Magellan. I hope MHz is able to get the other episodes.

I just watched episode 1 of Blå ögon (Blue Eyes). It's good stuff; I will continue watching it.

I also watched Big Pacific. I'm not usually a fan of nature shows, but I like this one.

Just got back from seeing Valerian and the city of a thousand worlds. fun, popcorn movie. Felt very Avatar (the movie) to me, mainly probably because the design of the main aliens reminded me of the Na'vi. Felt like a lot of forced action and obvious (to me) villain with of course the

govt/military are the bad guys

Justice League: War and Green Lantern: First Flight

To be honest I preferred the later. Almost everyone in JL:W was a complete dick, the only ones who weren't were Batman (which is quite a switch) and Flash.

JLW is probably my least favorite DCAU film.  Which means I guess skipping the Nu 52 wasn't a bad decision. 

Rogue One is a very close second to Empire for my favorite Star Wars film.

It definitely had a few great scenes and I appreciate that Storm Troopers got to hit things for a change.  It definitely also had the strongest and most structured story and most organic dialogue  - I just don't know if I'd see it again and again, like I have the original trilogy.  I'd slate it above any of the prequels (and I didn't mind the prequels at all) and just slightly behind Force Awakens (Rogue One was as stronger technical movie, in my opinion, but Force Awakens I found more 'fun').

That's the thing about 'inbetweenquels' (I doubt I'm the first one to make that up) - you already know how it begins and ends.  I don't care much about spoilers, overall - a good film or book will stand on its own (and if the entire story can be ruined by knowing the twist you didn't have a story - you had a neat idea that you padded with thin writing in either direction) - but with Rogue One I didn't really get invested at any stage: trailers, release, or post-release - I really enjoyed it, truly, but don't care if I ever see it again and didn't really feel like I was missing anything having not. Having seen it I still don't - but it was  very good film and I'm glad to have.

I felt the same way about the Hobbit series - one movie should have been enough, so one movie is all I bothered watching: I knew the story, after all, so... if I see it someday, fine. If not, oh well.

How It Should Have Ended called it, though ... if you've seen the film you'll know who says this in their parody and when "''Sup, noobs?"