What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Justice League vs Teen Titans 

Despite it being set in the same setting as JL: War I enjoyed this one a lot more.  The characters were more recognisable and the plot moved along with less issues.  Trigon was well done and it was nice to see that they didn't embrace the very early and universally critique'd Nu 52 portrayal of Starfire.

I just watched Shin Godzilla on DVD. If you want a mister bash action flick, it's not for you. If you want an intelligent movie with people trying to deal with an unprecedented disaster in a world where politics, economics, image and international relations exist, you might like it.

If you opt to watch it look up the word "mixotroph" first, save you some confusion.

While it's possible that I could have spent my long weekend better, I did just see Battleship. Hasbro's reckless depletion of the world's  precious CGI stockpile could have led to disaster in the event of a real alien invasion in 2013.

In the movie's defence, Taylor Kitsch might be the best character actor of his generation. You can question the decision to portray the lead character of this movie as a dumb jock who stares blankly into space a lot, but there's no doubt that Kitsch makes it believable! I predict great things for my fellow Vancouverite, such as starring in an epic movie franchise.

The Salesman, a 2016 Iranian film about a husband and wife who have to move out of their apartment building because it is in danger of collapsing. They find an available apartment, but the previous occupant causes some issues that get more and more serious as the movie goes on.

The first half of the movie was pretty pedestrian stuff, but the second half made up for it. Worth watching for free on Amazon Prime.

Back to '84/'85 for me,

Real Genius--a great popcorn flick.

Police Academy--I like Hightower's solution to car seats.

I love Real Genius..."In the immortal words of Socrates:  I drank what?"

Just finished bingeing the current season of The Expanse.  Next will be Preacher, as soon as I get a couple more episodes stacked up.

Just got back from seeing The Dark Tower. Elba is Roland (though relegated in this version to the supporting role). The kid is good as Jake. MccConaughey makes a good villain, but he is not the Man in Black from the books. I know it is supposed to be Canon and a continuation of the books, but I don't see it. My reaction is, He who says this is based on the books has forgotten the face of his father. And I am usually a huge fan of Ron Howard.

I understand there is a divide on this movie of those who have read the books and those who have not.