What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Who doesn't love Miss 20 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag?! Great show, and one of the few where the character interactions get deeper an more complex as the show progresses.

I had a theory her first name was Rhonda, in honor of Mother's blonde bodyguard in the last season of The Avengers.

On Hulu, I watched two episodes of Mary Kills People. It's yet another Canadian series shown on an American cable channel (Lifetime, in this case). It's about a doctor and her sidekick, who illegally offer euthanasia to the terminally ill. I've seen it advertised as a black comedy, but I haven't seen enough comedy in it to justify calling it that. I'd say it's more of a standard serialized drama. The story is OK so far, but it relies a little too much on characters making poor choices. I won't put it in the overstuffed "show about dumb people doing dumb things" category yet, but it's sliding that way. Maybe it'll redeem itself.

Netflix's Death Note. I know it is based on a Japanese manga and/or anime property, but since I have little interest in either of those, this was the only way I would get to enjoy the story. That fact also means that the inevitable comparisons between the original work and this one will be completely lost on me. I got to experience it for what it is, not through the lens of a fanboy of the original work.

Pretty interesting but nothing groundbreaking. I expected a twist or two based entirely on the concept of writing notes, almost like one-sided micro contracts, into a book. Well acted. There was some slow at the beginning, but it quickly picked up momentum. I enjoyed it. Definitely recommend if you have a spare couple of hours (actually less than two).

Netflix's Death Note. I know it is based on a Japanese manga and/or anime property, but since I have little interest in either of those, this was the only way I would get to enjoy the story. That fact also means that the inevitable comparisons between the original work and this one will be completely lost on me. I got to experience it for what it is, not through the lens of a fanboy of the original work.

Pretty interesting but nothing groundbreaking. I expected a twist or two based entirely on the concept of writing notes, almost like one-sided micro contracts, into a book. Well acted. There was some slow at the beginning, but it quickly picked up momentum. I enjoyed it. Definitely recommend if you have a spare couple of hours (actually less than two).

I haven't seen the Netflix version, but the anime or Japanese live action adaptations are both worth watching if you don't mind reading subtitles. They were very clever in using the notes and the cat and mouse game with the investigator (L in the anime).

I did see the original and I'm fine with the changes made (since the story was condensed from 700 minutes to 100): It got the point across.

I liked the "Xanatos Speed Chess" trope being used to full effect in act 3: it was very much in line with the anime.