What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Just watched The Orville 1st episode. It was...ok? I guess? I mean it wasn't bad or anything. Just not sure what it's supposed to be, beyond an obvious Trek TNG homage, except with dick jokes. Sure, it would've been nice if everyone on TNG hadn't been so incredibly uptight & humorless. But...that's it? Granted it's just one episode so far, but...that's your entire show concept?

To quote Captain Mal: "What's the point of that, I wonder? I mean, I see how they did it. I just ain't getting why."

Invasion USA (1952) - I found this video in a Blockbusters in the mid-1990s, one of the Goodtimes videos they used to sell for about $10.  It's the story of a group of self involved people who run into a fortune teller in a bar in New York just as World War Three breaks out.  Each goes their own way during the Soviet Invasion, and meets their fate.  There is lots of stock footage, atom bombs, Enemy Soldiers in American Uniforms, and both The Adventures of Superman Lois Lane, Noell Neill as a airplane ticket agent, and Phyllis Coats as a blonde Rancher's wife.  

When I was a kid I had a scifi movie poster book with it's poster, and unfortunately knew the twist ending.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this movie.

Jackie Stewart: The Flying Scot. This is about the racing driver Jackie Stewart and his career. Mainly it covers the Formula 1 years and his three championships but he quit on what would have been his 100th Grand Prix due to the death in practice of his co-driver Francois Cevert. It also covered his post Grand Prix career.

Jackie Stewart: The Flying Scot. This is about the racing driver Jackie Stewart and his career. Mainly it covers the Formula 1 years and his three championships but he quit on what would have been his 100th Grand Prix due to the death in practice of his co-driver Francois Cevert. It also covered his post Grand Prix career.

I mainly remember Jackie from his commentary on the Indianapolis 500 in the seventies. Watching the race on tape delay every year in prime time was a ritual for my family, especially my father and I, during that period. I fondly remember those events, and watching drivers like MArio Andretti and AJ Foyt compete in this race. That was before NASCAR took off and eclipsed open-wheel racing.

Two episodes of Stranger Things season 1.

Not totally sold on it... but since my instinct after episode one was to check the time and say 'yeah, I've got time for another episode' I'll give it another one or two to catch me.

(It's well written and acted, so far, but just might not be my cup of tea.)

Wild Target. I can't remember who recommended this to me, but it turned out to be surprisingly funny. Bill Nighy is a hitman hired to kill con artist Emily Blunt, but falls for her instead. Think Grosse Point Blank meets A Fish Called Wanda. The trailer doesn't quite do it justice, but here goes:

I have seen the original version which is French. It is quite brilliant.

Caught up on Gotham. Marginally looking forward to next season. I might add that the Fox Online commercial break system is a bunch of hog crap. 

Caught up on Blacklist. Used to like this show but I'm not so sure about next season. Is there a next season? I need to check on that. I think it all depends on how they handle the accidental death of Resting **tch Face by Agent Ressler. The other "big reveal" wasn't. Oh yes, I watched the preview for Season 5. I suppose, like all the other shows that have stretched my patience, it gets the standard 5 episode chance.

I have the feeling that about five weeks into the Fall season, I am going to have loads of free time that I would have otherwise spent watching television programs. 

Two episodes of Stranger Things season 1.

Not totally sold on it... but since my instinct after episode one was to check the time and say 'yeah, I've got time for another episode' I'll give it another one or two to catch me.

(It's well written and acted, so far, but just might not be my cup of tea.)

Two more episodes in...

Ok, I'm finishing it. Despite one of my pet peeves (ebil gubber-ment) ... hoping for a trope subversion on that.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind--I think that the last time I watched the original theatrical release of this movie was probably in 1978. Thankfully, the new 4K release has it, along with the Special Edition and the Director's Cut. It's Spielberg during his prime, and the movie is still absorbing after 40 years. Picture quality's good, and the ship lights are beautiful in HDR. I believe that the sound mix is taken from the magnetic 6-tracks of the 70mm version, and remixed into DTS Master Audio 5.1.