What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

On 1/10/2018 at 12:35 AM, sinanju said:

I'm mainlining TRAVELERS on Netflix right now. I'm halfway through the second season. I really hope it gets picked up for a third season.

Time travelers from a horrible, apocalyptic future are downloaded into the minds of people in the (our) present--hundreds of years before their time--who were about to die. They take over their bodies and lives and work as teams to perform various missions that they hope will allow them to prevent the awful future, or at least improve it. It's a one-time, one-way trip. The nature of time travel generally prevents "do-overs" so if a mission fails, it fails. There's lots I could say about this series, but SPOILERS.

I really like this show.

My daughter turned us on to this show.  I'm typically uber-critical of time travel stories, but this one's pretty good.  We're looking forward to Season 3.

Recently I've discovered that MeTV is running The Wild Wild West.  That was one of my favorite shows growing up, I caught it in syndication.  I must say, parts of it hold up and parts of it don't, but it's sure fun to watch it again.

17 hours ago, Armory said:

My daughter turned us on to this show.  I'm typically uber-critical of time travel stories, but this one's pretty good.  We're looking forward to Season 3.

Recently I've discovered that MeTV is running The Wild Wild West.  That was one of my favorite shows growing up, I caught it in syndication.  I must say, parts of it hold up and parts of it don't, but it's sure fun to watch it again.

Yeah, I very much hope they get a third season of Travellers.

I liked Wild, Wild West as a kid. Yeah, parts hold up and parts don't. My favorite villain was always Dr. Miguelito Loveless. But my favorite line from the whole series came from Victor Buono. He has captured West and has him strapped to a table. On a table next to him is, like, every gadget he's *ever* used on the show. All of which, presumably, they took off him while he was unconscious. Buono says, "Mr. West, I'm surprised you don't clank when you walk."

Took my mother (age 74) to see Howl's Moving Castle at OMSI. It is the story of a young girl named Sophie who gets caught up in the machinations of competing wizards and witches, and in the process is cursed to age prematurely into an old woman. I didn't know if Mom would enjoy it, but I really wanted to see it on the big screen.

She did like it a lot, but there's a lot going on in the movie and she didn't quite understand it. Hayao Miyazaki's painterly sensibilities are in full force, and visually it is a beautiful film. But there are also a lot of terrifying moments as well -- there's a war going on, and Sophie is caught in air raids a couple of times.

The English dub features classic-era Hollywood actresses Jean Simmons and Lauren Bacall.

12 hours ago, sinanju said:

Yeah, I very much hope they get a third season of Travellers.

I liked Wild, Wild West as a kid. Yeah, parts hold up and parts don't. My favorite villain was always Dr. Miguelito Loveless. But my favorite line from the whole series came from Victor Buono. He has captured West and has him strapped to a table. On a table next to him is, like, every gadget he's *ever* used on the show. All of which, presumably, they took off him while he was unconscious. Buono says, "Mr. West, I'm surprised you don't clank when you walk."

Also a big fan of Wild Wild West. 2 things I thought were interesting about show I had heard in an interview with Robert Conrad:

1) he said they had to keep coming up with ways to hide the bad guys faces, because through most the run, they had the same 5 stunt men.

2) he said how impressed he was with Michael Dunn (Dr. Loveless) who insisted, as much as possible, to do his own stunts just like Conrad did. One of my biggest dislikes of the movie (there were a few) was the disservice I felt was done to the Loveless character.

Only person I think would be interesting, if they did a good version of Wild Wild West, would be seeing Peter Dinklage play it.

one of my other annoyances was that I liked the casting of Smith and Kline. I wish if they had been played the parts  as trusted friends/allies like the original series instead of as rivals, would also have been much better. 

Inside No 9 episodes 1 and 2. These are stand alone comedy episodes.

The first is set on the 9th floor of the Hotel Zanzibar and is told in rhyming couplets akin to Shakespeare. A man in one room is trying to kill himself, while two men, who are twins separated in infancy, are both trying to enjoy themselves. Another room contains a old forgetful mother and her son whilst one of the twins has a bodyguard in another room. Confusions abound in room swaps as the porter and maid try to help the characters. It was quite good.

The second episode had two halves of a comedy act meaning after 30 years apart. It is far more sombre and sad and then at the end you see the real reason for it. It was well done.

An Inconvenient Sequel Truth to Power
Batman Gotham by Gaslight
Dunkirk
Faster Pussycat Kill Kill
Goodbye Christopher Robin
Hacksaw Ridge
Kingsman The Golden Circle
Professor Marston And The Wonder Women
Terminator 2 Judgement Day
The Big T N T Show
The Emoji Movie
The Fifth Element
The Little Hours
The Shack

Finally got to watch The Martian with Matt Damon. Enjoying it immensely. I think one of the things I like the most is that NASA and the other scientists AREN'T PORTRAYED AS IDIOTS and the government isn't the bad guy. They explain the reasons for all sides of the problems and why they make the decisions they do, even if they wouldn't be the most emotional decision.

18 hours ago, slikmar said:

Finally got to watch The Martian with Matt Damon. Enjoying it immensely. I think one of the things I like the most is that NASA and the other scientists AREN'T PORTRAYED AS IDIOTS and the government isn't the bad guy. They explain the reasons for all sides of the problems and why they make the decisions they do, even if they wouldn't be the most emotional decision.

The bad guy is Mars itself. All the humans, when you come right down to it, are on the same team -- even though they approach the problem in different ways.